Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What powers marine suits?

Default Re: What powers marine suits?

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    But not all kinds of power sources generate heat. Batteries, for example, generate very little heat. Heat is also produced when energy is used, because of inefficiencies in the devices.
    All things create heat as a byproduct, be it through friction or molecular chemistry. Yes, more heat normally means more inefficiencies, but massive power generation will have a relatively massive heat expenditure. It's the Second Law of Thermodynamics at work, in which all organization devolves into chaos, aka entropy. Heat is the ultimate chaotic form of energy (or so I believe). A larger battery will create more heat, though batteries in themselves are pretty poor power sources. They're convenient in storage and on-demand electricity, but that's about it.

Also, i don't think the powered suits need so much energy to work, you can move a 1000 Kg car with a car engine.
    That's a major difference, considering cars use wheels. The same can be said of trains, which by overall cargo hauled (vs 18 wheelers) are way more efficient, merely because they run on tracks. Once set in motion, a train can "move a ton of freight an average of 410 miles on just one gallon of diesel fuel" (Norfolk Southern Railway). If nature could grow wheels, it definitely would, because it is a wholly more efficient locomotion.

Power armors, on the other hand, use ambulatory locomotion. Not to mention they have to augment the wearer's strength as well as regulate all internal functions such as sensors, cooling, and every other bell and whistle (gravity generators are not likely to be powered by a wristwatch battery).

A problem with the new Marine suits, is that going stealth seems to be completely impossible, as it would generate a lot of noise and heat with that turbines on the top, whatever purpose they serve. They would also burn whatever comes close to them.
    But that's what ghosts are for. I don't think anyone ever considered using Terran marines for stealth. They chose armor and firepower over stealth and tactics employed by today's marines. And it's also why the exhaust ports are pointed upwards. Besides the fact that heat rises (if it is heat), but it would also prevent from killing fellow soldiers.

-------
    Last edited by Kacaier; 11-21-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    That's unlikely seeing as how they're used to create gravity on space platforms and capital ships (mentioned here). Unless these have thrusters pushing down on every square inch of flooring, that's not how they work.
    I'm not saying that the Marines use the exact same gravity generators as something like a BC. I'm saying that the thrusters/exhaust ports are a form of artificial gravity generation/simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    I'm not saying that the Marines use the exact same gravity generators as something like a BC. I'm saying that the thrusters/exhaust ports are a form of artificial gravity generation/simulation.
    Based on what evidence and/or logic?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kacaier View Post
    All things create heat as a byproduct, be it through friction or molecular chemistry. Yes, more heat normally means more inefficiencies, but massive power generation will have a relatively massive heat expenditure. It's the Second Law of Thermodynamics at work, in which all organization devolves into chaos, aka entropy. Heat is the ultimate chaotic form of energy (or so I believe). A larger battery will create more heat, though batteries in themselves are pretty poor power sources. They're convenient in storage and on-demand electricity, but that's about it.
    I don't know why everybody thinks they need so much power. Bipedal movement is very energy efficient, and suits cannot weight a lot, because they would sink into the ground if they did. They use neosteel for something. I think that the biggest problem would be power supply duration. Today's batteries cannot provide power for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacaier View Post
    But that's what ghosts are for. I don't think anyone ever considered using Terran marines for stealth. They chose armor and firepower over stealth and tactics employed by today's marines. And it's also why the exhaust ports are pointed upwards. Besides the fact that heat rises (if it is heat), but it would also prevent from killing fellow soldiers.
    Yeah, they probably send power armored marines only in open battle. If they need to ambush, they quick-drop them.

Still, that heat source seems impractical, as they cannot walk inside relatively low-roof structures, or be near anything flammable. Not to mention, heat-seeking weapons. How the hell do they even get inside Dropships?

I don't know why everybody thinks they need so much power. Bipedal movement is very energy efficient, and suits cannot weight a lot, because they would sink into the ground if they did. They use neosteel for something. I think that the biggest problem would be power supply duration. Today's batteries cannot provide power for long.
    The powered armor worn by Spartan supersoldiers from the Halo francise typically weighs about 700lbs. It is stated that Master Chief's total weight while in full armor was around 1000lbs.

The CMC powered armor worn by marines looks notably bulkier. I'm guessing a terran marine in full armor would probably weigh a ton (literally). Remember, it's not just the armor we're talking about here. It's life support systems, servomechanisms, hydraulics, neural/muscular interfaces, circuitry, wiring, etc. Basically, your average car battery just aint gonna cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonjunkie View Post
    The powered armor worn by Spartan supersoldiers from the Halo francise typically weighs about 700lbs. It is stated that Master Chief's total weight while in full armor was around 1000lbs.

The CMC powered armor worn by marines looks notably bulkier. I'm guessing a terran marine in full armor would probably weigh a ton (literally). Remember, it's not just the armor we're talking about here. It's life support systems, servomechanisms, hydraulics, neural/muscular interfaces, circuitry, wiring, etc. Basically, your average car battery just aint gonna cut it.
    But is cold fusion really necessary as opposed to a smaller power source, like, hafnium isomers?

Quote Originally Posted by phazonjunkie View Post

There's not much point to analyze what happends if they weight a ton, because they would sink into the ground badly if they weighted that. The bulk could be shock absorption.

It's obvious that a car battery isn't going to be useful to power that, but an engine could maybe do it. Anyways, i think it's fairly reasonable to say that cylinders in the chest are cold fusion reactors. The cold fusion bomb wasn't too big on the cinematic.

There's not much point to analyze what happends if they weight a ton, because they would sink into the ground badly if they weighted that. The bulk could be shock absorption.
    By that logic, bipedal mechs like the goliath or the thor would have that problem as well, but it doesn't seem to be an issue in their case.

It's obvious that a car battery isn't going to be useful to power that, but an engine could maybe do it. Anyways, i think it's fairly reasonable to say that cylinders in the chest are cold fusion reactors. The cold fusion bomb wasn't too big on the cinematic.
    QFT
    Last edited by phazonjunkie; 11-29-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: huked on fonix

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

By that logic, bipedal mechs like the goliath or the thor would have that problem as well, but it doesn't seem to be an issue in their case.
    I highly doubt a marine suit weighs a ton, I also don't think that a Goliath weighs a ton either, a Goliath isn't that big.

A thor has massive feet so it spreads its weight out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    I highly doubt a marine suit weighs a ton, I also don't think that a Goliath weighs a ton either, a Goliath isn't that big.

A thor has massive feet so it spreads its weight out.
    Are you seriously saying that a Goliath would weigh less than a car?