Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Story space for Zerg and Protoss campaigns

Default Story space for Zerg and Protoss campaigns

It's widely known that the larger pieces of the story for Wings of Liberty (abbreviated to WoL) will take place on the Hyperion, where you get your starmap, interact with NPCs, and get annihilated at the cantina. This creates a dynamic space in which you can move around and really immerse yourself within the StarCraft universe. What I'm wondering is, where will this space be for the Zerg and Protoss campaigns?

I would assume that the story for the Zerg game, Heart of the Swarm (HotS), will take place or at least begin on Char, since that is their adoptive homeworld. But where exactly will the main story space be? Inside a cave somewhere, in the underground tunnels Raynor found during the book Queen of Blades, inside a Hive?

Same goes for the Protoss; we can assume that the story for Legacy of the Void (LotV) will begin on Shakuras, but where exactly? Talematros is gone (Duran blew it up), so there's no citadel there. The Khalai Protoss have no major settlement or fortresses (although that could have changed in 4 story-years), and the Dark Protoss are still rebuilding all the messed up stuff the Zerg invasion did.

Where will the HotS and LotV equivalents of the Hyperion be? Will these campaigns even need a story space like WoL does? Thoughts?
    You represent what is greatest in us all, and all our hopes go with you. EN TARO ADUN, brave Sons of Aiur!

Default Re: Story space for Zerg and Protoss campaigns

I doubt we'd start on Shakuras as I'm not sure if Zeratul is even welcomed there (he did murder the last Matriarch). I think Blizzard originally intended us to play as Artanis and have the Story Mode take place aboard the Mothership. Now that we're with Zeratul, I think it'll take place aboard his Carrier (I think it's mentioned somewhere he has one). Alternatively, it will still take place aboard the Mothership shown above by having Zeratul somehow salvaging/resurrecting the ancient vessel.

As for the Zerg, I find it difficult to imagine the Story Mode since there aren't many characters for Kerrigan to talk to. True, they can create many lieutenants but it wouldn't make sense, especially since Zerg respond to psionic commands according to a strict hierarchy and so don't need to be told face-to-face. Additionally, nobody tells Kerrigan what to do (at least in the current situation).

Hence, I imagine the Zerg Story Mode will take place in Kerrigan's mind. This makes the most sense. And rather than interacting with 'inferior' lieutenants, she speaks with the only person her equal; herself. Or rather, herselves as her personality has been separated into different aspects. Imagine, there'd be Fully-Zerged-Out Kerrigan who's mainly concerned about tending her 'children' (meaning, Larvae, Zerglings, etc), Warrior Kerrigan who wants only to wipe out all life within the K-Sector, Conspiracy Kerrigan wondering what Duran is up to and finally Human Kerrigan chained to the wall in a Princess Leia metal bikini begging for them to stop.

Kerrigan's playing the same role did Overmind did in SC, so I figure that's what we'll be getting, a one-on-one briefing.

I suspect the zerg story space will have few characters, but she's got at least one minion (assuming he survives Twilight): Ethan Stewart. She wants him to be a consort. That, plus the top secret in Deception (Offspring of Infested Humans) leads me to believe she might have a child.

However, three infested terrans might be too boring, so I suspect we won't hear about any offspring (if there will be any) until/unless Ethan Stewart dies. So, that's two.

There were suggestions that queens can talk, and of course we know they can fight. They're no longer horribly slow off the creep either, so one could make a good hero (and additional zerg character).

Link for that: http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/10/...duction-panel/

That's potentially three characters right there. I don't know how to shoehorn any in. While overlords and overseers may be intelligent (an overlord spoke briefly in Shadow Hunters) they won't make good heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by MattII View Post
    Kerrigan's playing the same role did Overmind did in SC, so I figure that's what we'll be getting, a one-on-one briefing.
    In the original StarCraft, the Overmind had two other minions; Daggoth and Zasz. It wasn't until the last two missions that the OM started the one on one.
    Last edited by Kimera757; 05-16-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by MattII View Post
    Problem with that theory is that in SC1, the Overmind spoke to the player, who's a Cerebrate. In SC2, the player is Kerrigan (Overmind equivalent) with no one to talk to. Plus, it would be a massive step backward in comparison the Terran campaign (which would have been the one before that), making it a disappointment in terms of interactivity.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    Now that we're with Zeratul,
    We are?! :0

Where did you read this?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    Hence, I imagine the Zerg Story Mode will take place in Kerrigan's mind. This makes the most sense. And rather than interacting with 'inferior' lieutenants, she speaks with the only person her equal; herself. Or rather, herselves as her personality has been separated into different aspects. Imagine, there'd be Fully-Zerged-Out Kerrigan who's mainly concerned about tending her 'children' (meaning, Larvae, Zerglings, etc), Warrior Kerrigan who wants only to wipe out all life within the K-Sector, Conspiracy Kerrigan wondering what Duran is up to and finally Human Kerrigan chained to the wall in a Princess Leia metal bikini begging for them to stop.
    That's not a half bad idea. We know that she can enter the mind of any Zerg no matter where it is. The "control panel" could be a network showing which worlds are under her influence. One thing to consider though is they need to have a mechanic for researching new units/technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    We are?! :0

Where did you read this?
    Here and here.

And this:

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    That's not a half bad idea. We know that she can enter the mind of any Zerg no matter where it is. The "control panel" could be a network showing which worlds are under her influence. One thing to consider though is they need to have a mechanic for researching new units/technologies.
    Agreed, though figuring out that mechanic is somewhat independent of the Story Mode setup.

I hope the Protoss campaing is more dynamic, with you interacting with the other factions, instead of all happening inside a ship. That would be the benefit of being the last, not to mention the possibility of using all the units introduced for the game, which we have no idea how they could be.

Easy!

In the zerg campaign kerrigan try to kill (again xD) jim raynor and Zeratul, but the Xel Naga appears and all the races fight against them.

Then in LoV the protoss and terran kill kerrigan and all the swarm get destroy, then the xelnaga returns to another dimension xD
    Wenn es beginnt und einen Krieg losläßt, welche Angelegenheiten den Grund nicht haben sollen aber den Sieg zu erlangen.

Probably just other ships.

Kerrigan might have some Ravager-esque (from KOTOR 2) battlecruiser that she flies around in, though I think we may see some 'home bases' in the Protoss and Zerg campaigns, at Talematros and Char respectfully.

I doubt they'll do anything too existentialist.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!