Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about archons and Ulrezaj

Default Question about archons and Ulrezaj

Ulrezaj consisted originally of three Dark Templar, but now is made up of at least seven.

This makes me wonder whether that's a simple retcon or if an archon can merge with additional Templar after their original merging.

That leads into the second point. Archons have a limited lifespan (though we know not how limited). I wonder if merging additional Protoss into an existing archon can extend its lifespan by absorbing additional Protoss.

If anyone knows whether this is the case, or if it even makes sense, your input would be appreciated.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Question about archons and Ulrezaj

He originally consisted of 4. According to Shadow Hunters he can merge with additional templar.

I wonder if merging additional Protoss into an existing archon can extend its lifespan by absorbing additional Protoss.
    Not sure. We know Ulrezaj extends his lifespan by returning to a nexus of cosmic energies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    He originally consisted of 4. According to Shadow Hunters he can merge with additional templar.
    No, he originally consisted of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    This makes me wonder whether that's a simple retcon or if an archon can merge with additional Templar after their original merging.

Ulrejaz was only able to learn the technique of merging additional dark templar into himself due to his obtaining forbidden knowledge from the memory crystals he was tasked with maintaining while still a physical being centuries earlier, after which common sense would dictate he would have destroyed said crystals when he'd learned what he needed. So he's clearly a special a special case, your ordinary run-of-the mill DT would be incapable of such a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonjunkie View Post
    Ulrejaz was only able to learn the technique of merging additional dark templar into himself due to his obtaining forbidden knowledge from the memory crystals he was tasked with maintaining while still a physical being centuries earlier, after which common sense would dictate he would have destroyed said crystals when he'd learned what he needed. So he's clearly a special a special case, your ordinary run-of-the mill DT would be incapable of such a feat.
    Unless this knowlege was ever found. Think about it, an army of Ulrezajs.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Archon View Post
    It was four, lol. Where is this idea coming from? :P

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Ulrezaj

Zeratul's forces defeated the zerg, but were surprised when four Dark Templar, including their leader, Ulrezaj, attacked the "high-born Templar" while they lay within their cells.
    Through an unknown process, Ulrezaj had fused with three of his Dark Templar cohorts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Archon View Post
    Wrong. Four.

It says so in Twilight and Enslavers II.

We don't know how long an archon can last, but Zamara was surprised that Ulrezaj managed to last the four years between Enslavers II and Twilight.

Ulrezaj's methods were a secret, however, probably derived from the forbidden knowledge of Ehlna. He used two methods; draining "fake" dark templar (the Xava'kai Tal'darim) and using the energy nexus at Ehlna.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    It was four, lol. Where is this idea coming from? :P

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Ulrezaj
    Last time I played Enslavers II, I thought it was three. Well than, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow archon View Post
    unless this knowlege was ever found. Think about it, an army of ulrezajs.

zomg imba!1!!!!1111
    Last edited by phazonjunkie; 11-09-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Archons burn themselves out like stars, while Dark Archons eventually fade away like flickering candles in the winds of the void.

I thought Master Boo wrote an interesting thread some years ago explaining this and other things regarding Archons at BlizzForums, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, I am sure that Ulrezaj's assimilation of other Dark Templar did something to his "metabolism" but don't know what.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.