Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am going to Blizzcon

Default Re: I am going to Blizzcon

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    btw, the SC team wants to do SC3. Not really much of a news but that's the only thing we got for our 'beloved' franchise out of blizzcon this year

pcgamer.com/it-sure-sounds-like-starcraft-2s-devs-would-like-to-make-starcraft-3/
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I'm so sad. I don't want a SC3, but I also don't want Starcraft to die.

I want the ground to lie fallow for a few years while the people who actually know what they're doing create the worldbuilding necessary to build a franchise upon. Actually, y'know what? That's the problem with lots of media. People continually want to make sequels, but you can't make a sequel without thinking out the lore, character choices, and previous decisions that have been made. To make any good product, one must put at least three times the thought into it than is obvious to users. If SC had a coherent, strong universe with lots of emphasis placed on different factions within the races, it would be far easier to actually produce a competent story/have new ideas for gameplay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Starcraft's already dead in terms of lore/story after Sc2. There's nothing really going for it except the nostalgia of bringing back old things and redoing them again.

Hell, I didn't even want Sc2 the first time! Now that we have it, I kinda wish Starcraft had died.
    Any continuation of the Starcraft story will be horrible. Firstly, the additional round of inevitable retcons will further weaken the already shredded lore. Secondly, the story will suck because Blizzard can't write stories to save their life.

If anybody is still interested, I am still interested in writing an original universe. Unlike Blizzard, I would write a series bible that lays out the backstory and future of the setting in advance. Not only that, it would be written as a sandbox setting to cultivate the creativity of mappers and modders.

For example, I would lay out the war periods in advance. The first war would be between the humans over socio-economic reasons, similar to Command & Conquer. The second war would be the bug war, when the hive mind swarm appears. The third war would be when the space elves wake up from their tombs as a result and figure out what to do with the humans and bugs. The fourth war is when other groups of elves arrive and throw things into further chaos. These wars take place over periods of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Any continuation of the Starcraft story will be horrible. Firstly, the additional round of inevitable retcons will further weaken the already shredded lore. Secondly, the story will suck because Blizzard can't write stories to save their life.

If anybody is still interested, I am still interested in writing an original universe. Unlike Blizzard, I would write a series bible that lays out the backstory and future of the setting in advance. Not only that, it would be written as a sandbox setting to cultivate the creativity of mappers and modders.

For example, I would lay out the war periods in advance. The first war would be between the humans over socio-economic reasons, similar to Command & Conquer. The second war would be the bug war, when the hive mind swarm appears. The third war would be when the space elves wake up from their tombs as a result and figure out what to do with the humans and bugs. The fourth war is when other groups of elves arrive and throw things into further chaos. These wars take place over periods of decades.
    So write it out already. Me, I'm still gathering the ideas needed to write out my own SC fanfic, without the consistency problems Blizzard made (though given that I'm trying to work with the existing lore, this'll certainly prove problematic)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    So write it out already. Me, I'm still gathering the ideas needed to write out my own SC fanfic, without the consistency problems Blizzard made (though given that I'm trying to work with the existing lore, this'll certainly prove problematic)
    I made a thread for an original universe a while back. I was just checking if anyone here was interested in reviving the discussion.

The impediment towards creating such a large compendium of content within the StarCraft Universe has always been the "high effort low reward" rate. It sucks that a great total of 42 people is going to ever play through your whole content. So you would need to be motivated alone, mostly, by the amount of love you have for the franchise. IskatuMesk, one of the most famous BW modders, told me once "... [Yea I like my mods, but I do feel like no one is playing them. I've taken break from modding for this very reason. Not everyone understands all the effort I put into them] ..."

On the other hand, smaller proyects have been quite successful. Take Robear for starters. Then add all the asset creators at SC2Mapster. Or even Project Revolution before they were shut down back in 2007.

Thing is YOU need to start writing like Ragnarok said. Theorycrafting is great (we had a stupid long thread from back in the day when SC2 was barely announced); but it stays at fun with no leadership and is only pushed forward by community interest. I'll just post the rest of my thoughts there.

StarCraft is dead, the story at least. It just won't be the same with all the old Blizzard guard gone now. Not to mention they canceled StarCraft FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    StarCraft is dead, the story at least. It just won't be the same with all the old Blizzard guard gone now. Not to mention they canceled StarCraft FPS.
    The story wasn't great to begin with. The plot of SC1 was sufficient to move the story along, but it wasn't good in its own right. It introduced interesting world building only to execute it poorly. Putting it on a pedestal as some paragon of storytelling is wearing nostalgia goggles.

Metzen wrote it in his early twenties without prior experience, unless you count Warcraft 2. It doesn't deserve to be put on a pedestal any more than the mountains of trashy fiction written on wattpad.

Blizzard has never been good at writing stories, old guard or new. I just rewatched the cutscenes for the Warcraft 3 campaign and I'm astonished at how silly it is. Arthas goes from "happy go lucky" to "kill the infected" to "betray my country" in under a half-hour of cutscene time. The plot focuses almost exclusively on Arthas to the detriment of the world building. There's no sense of scale, time, geopolitics, or anything else. The following undead campaign is extremely boring, as it lacks even the character arcs of the prior.

People love to say StarCraft 2 was the worst story, but to be honest Blizzard was always that bad. It just became more obvious with a bigger budget.

Shut up, Wesley. I mean, Mislag.

Honestly, the only way Starcraft's story could come back from the dead is if there is one person with a true vision to create a world from it. That, and rendering SC2 non-canon.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Shut up, Wesley. I mean, Mislag.

Honestly, the only way Starcraft's story could come back from the dead is if there is one person with a true vision to create a world from it. That, and rendering SC2 non-canon.
    If Activision wants a Starcraft 3 or mobile spin-off or whatever, then they'll make one and they won't care about your opinion. It'll be a sequel to SC2 and its plot will suck because Blizzard can't write worth a darn.

Ignoring SC2 wouldn't fix anything. I've talked to dozens of general scifi fans and pretty much everyone agrees that there's nothing remotely interesting about Starcraft outside of shipping Kerry/Raynor because the world building is zero effort.

At this point I'm only looking forward to new Starcraft games because I want to see Starcraft fans get upset over Blizzard ruining their own lore yet again.

If you want know the simple reason why I don't like SC1, then it has to do with the Confederacy/Squadrons/Colonies, Overmind/Broods, and Conclave/Empire/Tribes being way more interesting than the unmemorable whatever replaced them.

Blizzard has never been good at writing stories, old guard or new. I just rewatched the cutscenes for the Warcraft 3 campaign and I'm astonished at how silly it is.
    I just replayed classic WC3 (fuck reforge) up to the blood elf/human expansion campaign and honestly, I have to agree. It's just not well written. It's good enough to support the gameplay but doesn't stand on it's own. I don't give a crap about the world building, sense of scale and what not. These are subjective preferences. But Arthas character progression... that's just bad writing. And he's not even the worst. Tyrande and Malfurion pull out some of the worst nonsensical bi-polar crap I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    I just replayed classic WC3 (fuck reforge) up to the blood elf/human expansion campaign and honestly, I have to agree. It's just not well written. It's good enough to support the gameplay but doesn't stand on it's own. I don't give a crap about the world building, sense of scale and what not. These are subjective preferences. But Arthas character progression... that's just bad writing. And he's not even the worst. Tyrande and Malfurion pull out some of the worst nonsensical bi-polar crap I've seen.
    I think having believable world building and scales can add to the enjoyment of a work. Thatís not the same as excessively detailed to the point of boring the reader. Plenty of great works of fiction keep that stuff in the appendices, like LotR and Dune.

The reason why LotR and Dune are remembered and will be remembered long after Warcraft and Starcraft have been forgotten is because of their detailed world building and themes.