Thread: Retro RTS "Loria" clones WC2/3

Default Retro RTS "Loria" clones WC2/3

Just wanted to plug this retro RTS "Loria" that openly acknowledges WarCraft 2 and WarCraft 3 as primary inspiration. It was made by just one or two guys. Pretty impressive, no?

https://loriagame.com/

Default Re: Retro RTS "Loria" clones WC2/3

How much you've played it?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    How much you've played it?
    I played a few missions so far. There's no manual explaining the game mechanics, so I'm blundering through it. There also seem to be a fair amount of bugs but that's to be expected from a team of just one or two people. It's a miracle the game is as functional as it is. OpenRA has been development for ten years and it isn't nearly as functional as Loria. A lot of that might have to do with Loria being built on Unity* and OpenRA is being built from the ground up.

*Which in hindsight was a terrible choice for an RTS because Unity doesn't support the communication protocols used by the RTS genre, so Loria won't have multiplayer for the foreseeable future

Loria is essentially an early access game that doesn't advertise itself as early access.

The campaign's gameplay is standard for the late 90s and early 00s school of design. It's most similar to a combination of WC2 and WC3, combining traditional RTS base-building with RPG hero mechanics under a 2D top-down POV. Heroes work like in WC3, with 10 levels of advancement, four abilities, attribute scores, and six-slot inventory. Non-hero units may level up as well, gaining bonuses as they do, similar to Command & Conquer.

The story is a simplistic conflict between two sides named Order and Chaos. You are thrown into the middle of the conflict with almost no backstory to explain why anything is happening. The atmosphere is firmly tongue-in-cheek. I'm only on the Order campaign at the moment (the Chaos campaign only unlocks after completing it), but our "hero" is obviously a megalomaniac and sociopath. Which isn't that different from a lot of video game "heroes," but acknowledging it is quite refreshing in my opinion.

As a first effort made by a one- or two-man team as a personal rather than paid project, this is a frigging miracle. Sad that it isn't more popular. The dev blog stated that the community is too small to justify trying to implement multiplayer, and the game doesn't make nearly enough money to offset the workload involved in maintaining it.

I find this extremely frustrating. Somebody produces the RTS game that RTS fans have wanted for years, and it receives nowhere near the recognition it deserves. Although to be fair they have zero budget, much less an advertising budget.

Yeah that's the problem all the time: without a budget you just have to take your chances and hope the right people come along to play it, and maybe they then have the right connections, which can then get your game better recognition.

On a vaguely related note, I discovered another Starcraft clone called “Dark Planet: Battle for Natrolis.” Along with “Atrox” and “StarFront: Collision,” that makes three that I know of in English.

Also, I really want a Starcraft retro clone now.

Which in hindsight was a terrible choice for an RTS because Unity doesn't support the communication protocols used by the RTS genre, so Loria won't have multiplayer for the foreseeable future
    That's just not true. There's multiple ways to implement online MP in a RTS and unity is no limitation. It's been done plenty before. You can even buy custom assets to jump-start your project like this: https://assetstore.unity.com/package...s-engine-79732

If you want an example (and another heavily WC3 inspired game), look up War Party. 100% made with Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    That's just not true. There's multiple ways to implement online MP in a RTS and unity is no limitation. It's been done plenty before. You can even buy custom assets to jump-start your project like this: https://assetstore.unity.com/package...s-engine-79732

If you want an example (and another heavily WC3 inspired game), look up War Party. 100% made with Unity.
    I stand corrected.

In any case, the dev outright stated that multiplayer isn't feasible for Loria in the foreseeable future due to technical and logistical constraints. https://steamcommunity.com/games/946...10924031009068

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    On a vaguely related note, I discovered another Starcraft clone called “Dark Planet: Battle for Natrolis.” Along with “Atrox” and “StarFront: Collision,” that makes three that I know of in English.

Also, I really want a Starcraft retro clone now.
    Hmm, don't recall the Dark Planet game. You have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Hmm, don't recall the Dark Planet game. You have a link?
    Dark Planet isn't sold by e-retailers, so there's no link I can give you. I did find some reviews and the manual online, which sheds some light on the game mechanics and story. There isn't very much.

The three race model is taken directly from Starcraft, but it has some differences in terms of story and mechanics. The three races are Sorin (protoss), Dreil (zerg), and Colonists (terrans).

In terms of mechanics, it uses multiple resources rather than SC's two. There are three basic resources, although each race only requires two. Each shares one resource with another race, forcing asymmetrical resource conflicts. Each race also has one unique resource with a unique method of harvesting: Sorin have "faith" accumulated by allocating workers to worshiping for it, Dreil harvest corpses to convert into "organic energy", and the Colonist harvest "energy" from geothermal vents.

In terms of story, the Colonists and Dreil are fighting a galactic war off-screen. The Colonists recently started colonizing the Sorin home planet, but are shocked to discover the Dreil have arrived too. The Sorin add a further wrinkle, because they can hold their own against both the Colonists and the Dreil.

The Colonists and Dreil are pretty much what you would expect: morally ambiguous humans versus vicious space ants. The Sorin are a reptilian warrior race which are millions of years old but never developed space flight, although they do have what is literally referred to as magic in-game. Echoing the protoss, the Sorin are ruled by a religious theocracy (Conclave) that lives in fear of a future Antichrist (Tassadar) appearing to challenge their power in a holy war (Aeon of Strife).