Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Suspends Hearthstone Player For Hong Kong Support, Pulls Prize Money

Default Re: Blizzard Suspends Hearthstone Player For Hong Kong Support, Pulls Prize Money

Something that got me thinking was the current polarization within the battle.net forums. There's a very large amount of user constantly posting negative comments and threads about Blizzard's decisions. However, there also a plague of "Blizz fans" defending Blizzard from the backlash. Half of the arguments in favor are related to the nature of "free markets" and "capitalism". However, I don't care about most of them as they are mostly armchair arguments from people who understand little about any of the concepts. On the other hand, the argument related to removing "politics" from an entertainment environment got me doing rounds against myself, as this is an argument I'm in favor of.

I don't like displays of politics in the Oscars/emmys, NFL, Soccer, SC2, Overwatch or any other competitive sport that I happen to watch. However, most of these displays have focused on democratic divisions and political opinions. Which, for me, is like shoving religion down someone else's throat.

However, if we start seeing voices of people fighting for basic human rights or even the right to live, I strongly believe that any entertainment outlet should allow for those kinds of discussions.

Default Re: Blizzard Suspends Hearthstone Player For Hong Kong Support, Pulls Prize Money

To me, the aim of interviewing someone is to present the person behind the entertainer. If you don't want to listen to what that person has to say(whatever that might be), maybe you shouldn't interview people but I understand that Blizzards wants their humans to be soulless promotion machines. Lets remember that it's not like the guy screamed free HK during a match, it was within the scope of an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Whenever financial trade between countries is conducted, cultural exchange inevitably follows. And with so many American-based companies capitulating to China's demands, I foresee an ongoing erosion of civil rights in our country.
    That isn't how the American legal system or capitalism works. The first amendment applies to the government, not private enterprises. In order for civil rights to be eroded in the way you claim, all USA companies would have to lobby for self-destructive fascist policies.

Sarcasm?

The USA abandoned it's manufacturing capacity years ago, and is mostly hurting due to this as the trade war witch China escalates. Even in Mexico, were labor is cheap we have a trade deficit with China in the order of 32 to 70 billion dollars in favor of China.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    Sarcasm?

The USA abandoned it's manufacturing capacity years ago, and is mostly hurting due to this as the trade war witch China escalates. Even in Mexico, were labor is cheap we have a trade deficit with China in the order of 32 to 70 billion dollars in favor of China.
    On the bright side, China's looming population crash should put a damper on their plans for world domination.

Considering how fast they switched to renewables, I doubt they will crash due to population. Heavy automation is next on their list of "to do".

Their real estate sector on the other hand... owning 5 apartments and renting 1 or none is never good. Just as in tech the government has been giving incentives to buy out properties outside of China, but the money is not moving at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Misla
    That isn't how the American legal system or capitalism works. The first amendment applies to the government, not private enterprises. In order for civil rights to be eroded in the way you claim, all USA companies would have to lobby for self-destructive fascist policies.
    Oooh, you're just adorable.

ESL and Riot are capitulating to China's demands with regard to HK, apparently.

EDIT Apparently an Overwatch for Switch launch event was also canceled. Whadya know.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 10-15-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

...I'm not real sure how this is a capitalism issue, but whatever.

I don't even know what to say about. On the one hand, I'm perfectly okay with Blizzard not being enthusiastic about other people using their platform for messages. On the other...the ban cannon is too much. Quite frankly the worst they should have done was warn the guy and tell him not to do it again. Their overreaction to a person supporting a reasonable cause is highly questionable.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Lets be honest, if Scarlet from the sc2 pro scene screamed "transgender rights!", she would not get banned. This isn't an attack on lgbt, just arguing that the ban is 100% about that Chinese $$$ and probably not about keeping their tournament free of messages. In fact, I hope someone test them on it. Would be interesting to see how Blizzard tries to get out of that one

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Lets be honest, if Scarlet from the sc2 pro scene screamed "transgender rights!", she would not get banned. This isn't an attack on lgbt, just arguing that the ban is 100% about that Chinese $$$ and probably not about keeping their tournament free of messages. In fact, I hope someone test them on it. Would be interesting to see how Blizzard tries to get out of that one
    This. Blizzard doesn’t care about Hong Kong either way, nor China, the company just wants that sweet yuan.