Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalker Lore Question

Default Re: Stalker Lore Question

You sure you want to count Lasarra for that? She DID get a parasite implanted into her after all....

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    You sure you want to count Lasarra for that? She DID get a parasite implanted into her after all....
    She left a body behind as she gave up the ghost (you can see the blue burst as she dies), the body exploded from the inside and sprayed blood everywhere.

As I said, the only question now is whether protoss bodies naturally disintegrate or not, how quickly, and why.

The dark templar trilogy and the ihanrii dragoon lore are the only instances I remember that mention protoss leave behind corpses that are buried.

(It’s entirely possible that Blizzard simply isn’t being consistent as they are wont.)

It is possible that only nerazim rapidly disintegrate upon death, whereas khalai and ihanrii do not. You could try to spin this as playing into the “proximity to death strengthens void powers” belief behind the nerazim dragoon variant. Thematic parallel and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    We're discussing it because the opening cinematic depicts a zealot's body collapsing to the ground while blue energy erupts from his body. You can see the zealot fall to his knees and slump to the side after the blue fire dissipates.
    this has three possible epxlications
    1 is just the beginning of teleportation,o teleporter after it falls to the ground such as the nerazim in the rescue of Karax

2 the teleportation system failed this was already addressed by Q&A the rest simply cannot be used by the protoss
    3 the artist was not clearly soaked with the lore and failed to represent this, as it seems to omit the highly explosive property of the baneling that explains its origin or that flew a solid rock fortress and a small sample was equivalent to a grenade

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    This completely retcons everything about their backstory in the SC1 manual. Back then they not only knew how their own tech worked (or reverse engineered), but they advanced even further than the xel'naga using what they were taught.
    at no point does the manual address the protoss technological degree in fact at this stage they were acting dogmatically treating the Xelnagas as gods, which says they are in a primitive state wquivalent to human antiquity and this tribe expressed a culturally frozen society in time but using Xelnaga technology
    The current canon protoss are already cargo culting and have no idea how to replicate their own tech. Somehow. It's inconsistent because other times they do invent new tech so I have no idea what's going on. This isn't a good way to distinguish the ihanrii, either.
    the current protoss have developed conventional scientific method technology and not only using xelnagas artifacts as a relic like the khas tribe, and the loss of dragon technology was not lost by not compression but the centralization and ritualization transition from a protos to a shell
    The ihanrii being cargo cultists wouldn't make sense if they never lost their knowledge due to the Aeon of Strife like the other protoss did. Yet their skin lore makes them out to be literal space elves with magic runes and golems and whathaveyou.
    a technological setback of the protoss was never signaled in superstition to chase away their gods when khas have unified the protoss this can already passed from the bronze age to star navigators studying their teachers not gods
    If I wasn't already highly critical of protoss lore, then this would be the breaking point for me. The ihanrii are a conceptual mess that mix bits and pieces of other protoss factions seemingly in complete ignorance of how the other factions work. At several points they are described as using literal magic, like runes and golems.
    already at this point only uses Xelnaga technology and this for a terra is magic, however, the Aiur protoss are understood to some extent by this example is the analogy of karax that Xelnaga technology is what protos technology is for Terran or the superior mental ability to observe the patterns observed in the literature or when artanis is to read a story without any apparent written language or observe the natural pattern xelnaga different from the Golden ratio in plants in starcraft: evolution, certainly the chimpaces do not understand a smart phone but intuitively can handle something similar is what ihanrii were exposed before submitting to their orphan status to have access to very advanced technology that intimately uses but from a primitive perspective not very different from the first time they saw even xelnaga

Okay, so I checked out the different death animations. I’m typing on my phone so I cannot link video or image.

Zealot (SC1): burst into bright blue flames
    High templar (SC1): release blue burst, brief afterimage
    Dark templar (SC1): burst into dark grey flames
    Link: http://www.sclegacy.com/index.php/ed...ation-of-death

Lasarra: release blue burst, explode into purple bloody mess. Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LXax9PSG9A0

Zealot (cinematic): release blue burst, body slumps dead. Link: https://youtu.be/M_XwzBMTJaM?t=83

Zeratul: slowly crumble into dark grey ash, releasing ghost at same time(?)

Okay, so it seems that the “giving up the ghost” bit and the “disintegrating” bit are not the same thing. I think I can work with that.

So new revised explanation:

Protoss who die release their, uh, “souls” or whatever in a burst of flames. This leaves a body behind, which may or may not disintegrate in a separate process.

In the game, all bodies vanish, so that may be chalked up to gameplay and story segregation. No help from that.

So the only bit that needs explaining is what causes the corpse to disintegrate.

If protoss leave corpses naturally, then they would require a psychic/tech means of cremating the bodies. It’s easy to assume suits might be designed with self-destruct or are teleported to mortuaries.

If protoss corpses disintegrate naturally, then they would need a means of preserving the body. It’s easy to assume that chemical, psychic, or technological means may be used to preserve.
    well, because teletransportation is the official explanation, in the case of zeratul the Nerazim has mentioned in dialogues that they merge with the vacuum so that zeratul spraying should be devised in relation to the void dimension
    Last edited by drakolobo; 08-23-2019 at 08:30 AM.

The teleportation is an unnecessary retcon introduced in a 2007 Q&A. It is mentioned nowhere else that I could find, not in the games or the fiction. I doubt the rest of Blizzard got the memo. Furthermore, the animation of death specifically and the animation of teleportation in every other context are completely different. So this retcon may be safely ignored by us for the purposes of discussion, since Blizzard certainly seems to ignore it.

When protoss die, their bodies "give up the ghost" as the idiom goes. We can literally see this visually in their death animations (including cinematics) except that of Zeratul, which may be waived away by his prolonged act of dying and dramatic effect.

The only question is what happens to the bodies afterward, since the explanations are all over the place.

In the games, the sprites/models of all corpses quickly fade away as is standard for video games, so that can't explain it.

I haven't checked against other fiction depicting protoss deaths (I assume it isn't depicted consistently), but the dark templar trilogy and the ihanrii skin lore mentioned that protoss left corpses behind that are subjected to funerary rites. However, this contradicts the depiction of Zeratul's body rapidly disintegrating upon death.

I'd need more death animations and descriptions of death in the fiction to get a full comparison, but what little I have right now shows that the lore doesn't depict the rate of protoss decomposition consistently. Sometimes they leave corpses for burial and sometimes they rapidly disintegrate, and we have no explanation how or why.

Zeratul's death isn't entirely unique. The one other disintegration-in-death I know of was Ma'lash's death at the hands out Alarak. Perhaps having their bodies infused with so much corrupted void energy led to that disintegrating?

The teleportation is an unnecessary retcon introduced in a 2007 Q&A. It is mentioned nowhere else that I could find, not in the games or the fiction. I doubt the rest of Blizzard got the memo. Furthermore, the animation of death specifically and the animation of teleportation in every other context are completely different. So this retcon may be safely ignored by us for the purposes of discussion, since Blizzard certainly seems to ignore it.

When protoss die, their bodies "give up the ghost" as the idiom goes. We can literally see this visually in their death animations (including cinematics) except that of Zeratul, which may be waived away by his prolonged act of dying and dramatic effect.

The only question is what happens to the bodies afterward, since the explanations are all over the place.

In the games, the sprites/models of all corpses quickly fade away as is standard for video games, so that can't explain it.

I haven't checked against other fiction depicting protoss deaths (I assume it isn't depicted consistently), but the dark templar trilogy and the ihanrii skin lore mentioned that protoss left corpses behind that are subjected to funerary rites. However, this contradicts the depiction of Zeratul's body rapidly disintegrating upon death.

I'd need more death animations and descriptions of death in the fiction to get a full comparison, but what little I have right now shows that the lore doesn't depict the rate of protoss decomposition consistently. Sometimes they leave corpses for burial and sometimes they rapidly disintegrate, and we have no explanation how or why.
    This is not a retcon because in principle it was never explained the idea of the burning protoss was a fancanon stimulated by an animation
    2 has not been ignored since teleportation when injured have been mentioned in the latest technical manual, a compendium of information on factions, the field manual. We have already seen how a Nerazim was taken during the rescue of Karax, and as I said the death of Zeratul maybe can attend to another nature of void energy at the time of death, "the union with the shadows" that is mentioned so much

both his ability of a master to disintegrate to be part of an archon and the beliefs of joining the void in death, is an obvious homage of Kenobi uses a special technique to join the force but now from the religious feelings nerazim that would be to join void

. why are there bodies? because the devices fail, that is why Blizard saw it necessary to add that, despite zerg manage to have access to protoss corpses, the zerg are unable to process their DNA, consistently

In response to Drak, post-2007 material that misla linked seems clear to me in it's intent to show that there is a "soul release" and it isn't just a malfunctioning teleportation. And I mean, sure you can say that the artistS didn't understand the lore enough but, like misla says, maybe the Q&A guy didn't get it either If anything, we can possibly assume that the retcon has been retconned or, at the very least, both the "soul release" and the "teleport malfunction" coexist in the current state of canon.

Following up on the soul, psi/ki idea and with zeratul's death, here's another "what if": Protoss naturally possess psi energy flowing inside them, high level at that. Naturally, Protoss conscience resides inside the confines of their biological constructs (brain?) and use the kind of signals you would expect out of any terrestrial animal. But, part of their brain also transfers information through psi(Terran ghosts also developed a lower form of this ability). With higher training, a Protoss can develop the ability to solely rely on the psi to manifest his conscience. As an initiate rely more and more on psi, his internal biology can transform to the point where the outside skin is only a facade held together by the psi inside. This is in fact, what an archon is, a being of pure psi with a physical facade. This explains why zergs cannot just sequence the dna of a protoss because a protoss doesn't just rely on dna to encode what makes them special. Maybe the magic crystals from SC1 were some sort of philosopher stone for the psi/material world?

Moving on, the thing about psi is that it can be converted to void energy. A dark templar, uses the same biological processes that a templar would use for his psi but instead, transforms the psi into void. The fact that these 2 type of energies are compatible is demonstrated by the fact that a dt can merge with a ht. Now, I'm kinda fuzzy with the whole regular void vs corrupted void (which I believe corrupted comes from Amon's dimension while regular void comes from another dimension?) but we could say that the same kind of process took place and so most of the internal contraptions became void or corrupted void. Death destabilize the"void glue" which then leads to disintegration. Void is more inert to the outside environment so its release does not generally lead to a combustion like psi. We could also say that, usually, a dt could not transfer a large amount of internal process to void without merging with another dt. But, corrupted energy allow for higher concentration or something.

Might be a bit convoluted lol but can't help it with all the space-magic stuff that's in that universe
    Last edited by sandwich_bird; 08-23-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Zeratul's death isn't entirely unique. The one other disintegration-in-death I know of was Ma'lash's death at the hands out Alarak. Perhaps having their bodies infused with so much corrupted void energy led to that disintegrating?
    Yeah I didn't exactly get that part via Ma'lash's death. The pit is supposed to lead all the way to Slayn's core, so it'd make sense for him to evaporate AFTER being kicked into the pit, not DURING the kicking. Maybe Alarak used some sort of weird void energy kinetic blast?

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    In response to Drak, post-2007 material that misla linked seems clear to me in it's intent to show that there is a "soul release" and it isn't just a malfunctioning teleportation. And I mean, sure you can say that the artistS didn't understand the lore enough but, like misla says, maybe the Q&A guy didn't get it either If anything, we can possibly assume that the retcon has been retconned or, at the very least, both the "soul release" and the "teleport malfunction" coexist in the current state of canon.
    The teleportation is only mentioned in supplementary sources like the technical manual. The games depict the death animation as literal death. Blizzard has a history of inconsistencies like this.

I haven't memorized the entirety of the lore, but I can name a few egregious inconsistencies. Perhaps the one I dislike the most is "the determinant" plot hook that was mentioned in the SC1 manual but never followed up on. At least, it was never followed up in a way that satisfied me but others devised all sorts of convoluted rationalizations when the simple truth was that Metzen made things up as he went along without regard for consistency or future plots.

I highly doubt that Blizzard would have killed off the Confederacy, Conclave, and Overmind in SC1 if they had known that Starcraft would become a hugely profitable franchise. But I digress.

Anyway, the SC1 manual explained that the zerg wanted to consume terran psychic potential to weaponize against the protoss. The protoss had amazing reality-warping psychic powers augmented by their technology and the zerg couldn't compete with that in a galactic war. The details were vague but the overall message was that the zerg need to devour humanity and develop weapons, otherwise they would ultimately be destroyed by the protoss even if the protoss suffered massive losses as well.

The game did not follow up on any of this and it's quite obvious that between the time that part of the manual was written and the game script was written that Metzen had completely changed his mind. Either that or the lore was added haphazardly to make the game feel cooler without Metzen thinking through the implications of those things written.

Instead of harvesting many humans, since psychic genes were distributed throughout the population, the zerg hunted Kerry specifically and withdrew from the sector after they got her. The same amount of importance as the determinant was placed on this single individual to literally messianic levels, which contradicted the zerg's previously established modus operandi of swarm tactics and programmed personalities. Then Kerry was sent to deal with the dark templar instead of the aiur protoss, and the last two zerg missions forgot about her despite her plot taking up all the preceding missions. It's like the last two missions were pasted from a separate campaign, which I suspect was the case.

Also, the importance placed on the determinant in the manual as a means to counter the protoss' superiority was discarded. Instead, the protoss were inherently weak against the zerg. The protoss were so weak, in fact, that they would be curbstomped. In order to prevent the zerg from curbstomping, Metzen then introduced the concept of cerebrate immortality and it being broken by dark templar magic.

I could go on but I will stop there. I've seen tons of rationalizations but I never found them convincing. Either Metzen rewrote the plot several times and lost coherence in the process or added a bunch of pointless trivia that contradicted his intended plot. In any case, none of the plot contrivances introduced (zerg jesus, dark templar magic) would have been needed if Metzen had followed the plot hook about the determinant in the first place and hadn't felt the need to destroy every government to sabotage sequels.

While I'm frustrated that Blizzard is so bad at plotting, the fact that the games are badly plotted is something I have long accepted. What makes me genuinely upset is when fanboys make all sorts of unnecessary excuses for the bad plotting with the ulterior motive of justifying the status quo and their irrational twenty-years-old obsession with the Raynor/Kerry/Mengsk plot at the expense of everything else composing the franchise. It's dishonest for fanboys to argue that isn't their motive when it clearly is. And I wouldn't even be upset with that attitude if it didn't strangle the creative potential of the IP.

Blizz killed off Raynor, Kerry and Mengsk in order to provide freedom for new plots. Like the comics that came with the warchests depicting the rise of Niadra and Ihan-rii. They should have done this twenty years ago but better late than never, I suppose.

Metzen screwed up the lore so thoroughly that fanboys are still obsessed with Raynor, Kerry, and Mengsk after twenty years of mediocrity. As far as those fanboys are concerned, the Starcraft universe doesn't exist outside of Kerry and her two ex-boyfriends. I think that is a complete waste of the franchise and it makes me really dislike the fanboy community.

I mean, it's okay for you guys to like Raynor, Kerry, and Mengsk, but you shouldn't have to pretend that SC1 is scripture. There are so many other ways it could have been plotted with the same characters, and avoid Metzen's bad writing at the same time. I'm current working on an AU with that premise, even. I'm not writing Raynor, Kerry, and Mengsk out of existence, but I'm not giving them mary sue/gary stu control over the setting when that's unnecessary and would strangle the creative potential of the setting.

I never liked the "great man theory" because it's complete nonsense used to justify European imperialism, but Starcraft exaggerated it to outright comical degrees. Not that this is remotely unusual for scifi, especially the franchise's original Warhammer 40,000 inspiration (although Warhammer 40,000 sabotages the great man theory by having scales so large that their achievements don't matter much), but Starcraft holds a special place in my heart for trying and failing to give personality to a tyranid expy.

But I digress. Moving back to the protoss death thing...

Following up on the soul, psi/ki idea and with zeratul's death, here's another "what if": Protoss naturally possess psi energy flowing inside them, high level at that. Naturally, Protoss conscience resides inside the confines of their biological constructs (brain?) and use the kind of signals you would expect out of any terrestrial animal. But, part of their brain also transfers information through psi(Terran ghosts also developed a lower form of this ability). With higher training, a Protoss can develop the ability to solely rely on the psi to manifest his conscience. As an initiate rely more and more on psi, his internal biology can transform to the point where the outside skin is only a facade held together by the psi inside. This is in fact, what an archon is, a being of pure psi with a physical facade. This explains why zergs cannot just sequence the dna of a protoss because a protoss doesn't just rely on dna to encode what makes them special. Maybe the magic crystals from SC1 were some sort of philosopher stone for the psi/material world?
    Elsewhere I entertained the idea that the protoss' purity of form means that they existed somewhere between mere mortals and scifi energy beings. The archons would represent the next stage of their evolution as the xel'naga originally desired. Although subsequent retcons that archons are unstable wrecks that, but it could be reconciled by claiming further experimentation is necessary to create stable archons. Ulrezaj's seven-fold dark archon form might be a successful experiment of that kind, although it raises the question of why the protoss haven't previously experimented with archons composed of more than two individuals. (For example, the Heptcraft SC2 mod has a dark templar tech tree in which "void archons" are identical to SC1/SC2 archons except formed by fusing two dark templar, but BW-style dark archons are formed by fusing two void archons.)

Your suggestion about protoss not using nucleic acid is genius. They have enough biological components to support being eaten by zerg parasites, but the zerg physically can't touch their genetic medium because it is so alien. That's a great way to give more weight to the determinant plot hook if it's still relevant, and you could even recycle hybrids (which here would be failed or debased fusions) created by terrans as supporting evidence for the determinant's importance (if interpreting the determinant as transhuman/tech potential in general and not just psychic powers; Gradius' origins custom campaign script suggested that zerg could study alien tech to get ideas for breeding new adaptations).

As for the magic crystals, I (and others maybe) always figured that the reason the zerg planted a Starship Troopers-style Behemecoatyl on Aiur (the Overmind may have come out years earlier, but it's basically Behemcoatyl) was to hijack the psi matrix for electronic warfare and preparation for assimilation. ToxicDefiler/AcidicCook suggested that electronic warfare in that vein undertaken by many broods could have played a major role in the zerg/protoss galactic war that never happened in canon.

Moving on, the thing about psi is that it can be converted to void energy. A dark templar, uses the same biological processes that a templar would use for his psi but instead, transforms the psi into void. The fact that these 2 type of energies are compatible is demonstrated by the fact that a dt can merge with a ht. Now, I'm kinda fuzzy with the whole regular void vs corrupted void (which I believe corrupted comes from Amon's dimension while regular void comes from another dimension?) but we could say that the same kind of process took place and so most of the internal contraptions became void or corrupted void. Death destabilize the"void glue" which then leads to disintegration. Void is more inert to the outside environment so its release does not generally lead to a combustion like psi. We could also say that, usually, a dt could not transfer a large amount of internal process to void without merging with another dt. But, corrupted energy allow for higher concentration or something.

Might be a bit convoluted lol but can't help it with all the space-magic stuff that's in that universe
    Blizzard never explains how psychic powers work or why the distinction is important, except for vague bits and pieces in supplementary materials. I couldn't understand anything without referencing either the fandom wiki or Leovaunt's starcraft tabletop rpg rules that systematized things.

I had to delve into fanfiction territory myself to get a sense of how things worked. Long story short, I imagined the taldarim as more or less literal sith lords and dark eldar. They draw their power from the dark side of the void with their negative emotions, and avoid the psychological consequences of lacking a khala by absorbing the agony of other creatures.

I'm assuming here that protoss natively have a khala between tribe members, and that Khas merely rediscovered how to expand it to encompasses all tribes everywhere. Blizzard is inconsistent on this, naturally. SC2 seemingly claims khala is Amon's mind control and celebrates the protoss destroying it. The backstory of Khas in SC1 manual makes it clear that he was only recreating the link that existed in the first age, and implies that the intratribal khala still existed during the Aeon of Strife because all the violence was racially motivated. The dark templar trilogy's rendition of Khas' backstory seemingly claims that even the intratribal khala was gone (which somehow resulted in the protoss literally going crazy because the khala creates euphoria or something? I didn't really understand it due to all the retcons), which makes no sense since by their own logic this means the tribes should be butchering themselves and not just other tribes.

The tal'darim (and for that matter the ihan-rii) being distinguished by never submitting to the khala makes no sense because the khala existed during the first age too. At least in the dark templar trilogy they made sense because they actively rejected the khala using drugs. Different authors interpreting the same thing in completely different ways led to the messy inconsistent lore.

But I digress, again...

I never understood the distinction between different types of psychic energy. Sounds more like a bland fantasy novel convention. From what little I still remember learning in college, energy is energy and it doesn't have ice cream flavors like fantasy magic does. I always figured that the different paths of studying psychic powers merely affected how they worked (e.g. dark templar find it easy to personally cloak and teleport, whereas high templar needed bulky arbiters and other tech to do the same), not that they were analogous to magic ice cream flavors. The common fantasy/scifi convention of throwing around the words "energy" and "energies" makes no sense if you know what energy actually is. There's no such thing as pure energy, because energy is a property of matter.

Like, whenever the bridge crew or other lore bits say they have "detected energy", what they should really be saying is that they have detected infrared radiation, visible light, gamma rays, alpha particles, or whatever spectrum or particles they detected. Like, the backstory of terrazine being found in proximity to "void energy" makes no sense, since real scientists don't talk like that. I don't anybody even outside of technical fields talks like that. When was the last time you heard anybody outside a bland fantasy or scifi novel used the word "energy" to describe a physical thing or sensation that would be better described in other terms? It makes sense for metaphorical non-technical descriptions like "we felt this energy between us," but I've never heard something saying "I feel a dark energy" unless they were a phony psychic.

As far as we are led to believe, in the Starcraft universe the concept of psychic powers is a phenomenon that may be scientifically verified and weaponized, so using the same terminology as phony psychics and modern snake oil salesmen is nonsensical. We're led to believe that psychic powers produce psychic radiation that behaves in a similar way to the electromagnetic spectrum, so detection should detect psychic radiation, psion particles, or whatever and not some undefined energy. That's not how scientists in real life describe their findings so it really breaks my suspension of disbelief as someone who reads popular science publications (they're often sensationalist, but the terminology doesn't read like something out of generic fantasy/scifi).

Look at the opening of Xenosaga Episode I in which technicians spout meaningless technobabble:
    Woglinde Employee 3: Detecting a large-scale spatial distortion ahead of us! An enormous mass is gating out!
    Moriyama: Impossible! We're still outside the column area! That's…
    Woglinde Employee 3: The U.M.N. geodesic structure is being breached!
    Woglinde Employee 4: The target…it appears to be interacting with the U.M.N. somehow!
    Moriyama: It's being hacked?! That's possible?! Massive gravity fluctuations! Surface anomalies forming in space-time!
    Woglinde Employee 3: Impossible! That defies all laws of physics!
    Woglinde Employee 5: Computing mass – the numbers are completely inconsistent! I can't get a clear reading! Whatever it is, it's huge!
    Woglinde Employee 6: The amplitude… …the hell? It's like a tidal wave!! The readings are increasing! It's entering normal space! Captain!!
    I know it's pure nonsense, but the syntax and vocabulary still feels vastly more realistic than the fantasy novel nonsense in Starcraft.

This series of Q&A was created to reach the points in lore and it adds that sometimes teletransport fails covering the case of the intro XD also this is the case that it is not only in technical data we see representation of this:

remembering a case that Zealot teleported is from the Khastiana that after being injured begins to be teleported and later it is placed in an immortal

effect very similar to the video of the centurion in the rescue of Karax

As for the magic crystals, I (and others maybe) always figured that the reason the zerg planted a Starship Troopers-style Behemecoatyl on Aiur (the Overmind may have come out years earlier, but it's basically Behemcoatyl) was to hijack the psi matrix for electronic warfare and preparation for assimilation. ToxicDefiler/AcidicCook suggested that electronic warfare in that vein undertaken by many broods could have played a major role in the zerg/protoss galactic war that never happened in canon.
    Well, I think there are quite a few indications of this in LoV and the classic Zerg campaign basically Amon takes advantage of everything that overmind achieves and the corruption emanates from the corpse of his great traitor
    Blizzard never explains how psychic powers work or why the distinction is important, except for vague bits and pieces in supplementary materials. I couldn't understand anything without referencing either the fandom wiki or Leovaunt's starcraft tabletop rpg rules that systematized things.
    a quite solid interpretation can be reached with the information in the khala manual is a very specific psychic form of the protoss, it is said that the protoss are emanating energy continuously when working in a gestal is feed back to very high levels whose maximum warlike representation was the psi storms and being used as the main energy source this allows a collective accumulation of energy as if it were our oil. basically the khala has an internal biological source
    As a void energy, it is an external source, that is, it is the manipulation of the energy of space and with the SC2 its similarity has been achieved with the concept of warp in w40k
    I had to delve into fanfiction territory myself to get a sense of how things worked. Long story short, I imagined the taldarim as more or less literal sith lords and dark eldar. They draw their power from the dark side of the void with their negative emotions, and avoid the psychological consequences of lacking a khala by absorbing the agony of other creatures.
    the Taldarim ideologically if they are Sith but their energy management is the same as the Nerazim, but not limited by moral code and enhanced with the use of drugs to access control of this dimension

I'm assuming here that protoss natively have a khala between tribe members, and that Khas merely rediscovered how to expand it to encompasses all tribes everywhere. Blizzard is inconsistent on this, naturally. SC2 seemingly claims khala is Amon's mind control and celebrates the protoss destroying it. The backstory of Khas in SC1 manual makes it clear that he was only recreating the link that existed in the first age, and implies that the intratribal khala still existed during the Aeon of Strife because all the violence was racially motivated. The dark templar trilogy's rendition of Khas' backstory seemingly claims that even the intratribal khala was gone (which somehow resulted in the protoss literally going crazy because the khala creates euphoria or something? I didn't really understand it due to all the retcons), which makes no sense since by their own logic this means the tribes should be butchering themselves and not just other tribes.
    the phenomenon speaks of the fact that the protoss became individulist, this would lead to the protoss being only able to organize themselves directly as we did that while maintaining a strong value of the individuality we are still quite anchored to the family structures and we see people outside of this as competitors or threats creating tribal wars equivalent to our wars

the absence of the khala is quite generalized if existed on a smaller scale, an expanded form had would have been easily conjectured, while experience of khas was a catharsis / epiphany by contacting the khandary crystals when their energy is absorbed very similarly theories of artifacts in Starcraft 2
    The tal'darim (and for that matter the ihan-rii) being distinguished by never submitting to the khala makes no sense because the khala existed during the first age too. At least in the dark templar trilogy they made sense because they actively rejected the khala using drugs. Different authors interpreting the same thing in completely different ways led to the messy inconsistent lore.
    When the protoss forgot their pre khala psionic ties, they had no support, it was their own selfishness that generated their isolation, which generated the separation of the species, examples never accessed the Khala, even though the Nerazim cut their neuronal appendixes, they were already separated from the khala, and the mutilation was only a symbolic act and that makes a permanent process, the Taldarim culturally kept hiding their minds and emotions as a sign of strength, both ALarak (taldarim) and Mohandar (nerazim) in their respective short stories how they hide their "weaknesses" blocking their minds