Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Stalker Lore Question

Default Re: Stalker Lore Question

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Moving on, the thing about psi is that it can be converted to void energy. A dark templar, uses the same biological processes that a templar would use for his psi but instead, transforms the psi into void. The fact that these 2 type of energies are compatible is demonstrated by the fact that a dt can merge with a ht. Now, I'm kinda fuzzy with the whole regular void vs corrupted void (which I believe corrupted comes from Amon's dimension while regular void comes from another dimension?) but we could say that the same kind of process took place and so most of the internal contraptions became void or corrupted void. Death destabilize the"void glue" which then leads to disintegration. Void is more inert to the outside environment so its release does not generally lead to a combustion like psi. We could also say that, usually, a dt could not transfer a large amount of internal process to void without merging with another dt. But, corrupted energy allow for higher concentration or something.
    This doesn't explain why regular DT still burst into blue flame when they "die" though (as shown in-game).
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    This doesn't explain why regular DT still burst into blue flame when they "die" though (as shown in-game).
    Now that you mention it, the flame color in SC2 depends on the player’s team color. In the fluff, that seemingly correlates with the character’s eye color. Khalai burst into blue flames, Taldarim into red, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Now that you mention it, the flame color in SC2 depends on the player’s team color. In the fluff, that seemingly correlates with the character’s eye color. Khalai burst into blue flames, Taldarim into red, etc.
    Are you sure that's not just a gameplay mechanic? And didn't the Tal'darim also burst into blue flames as well back in WoL?

A brief digression from the current discussion, but I totally forgot about the high detail mission screen depicting Zeratul with a pair of stalkers. Considering the metal and proportions (their heads are distinctly larger than Zeratul's), I'd say Stalkers are 100% mechanical.

Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I'm assuming here that protoss natively have a khala between tribe members, and that Khas merely rediscovered how to expand it to encompasses all tribes everywhere.
    From what I've been able to gather, the protoss have an empathic, communal link. Amon wanted to use this as his means of controlling the protoss, but protoss's connection to this communal link was not as intimate or strong as the zerg's hive mind. Khas inadvertently "perfected" it by conceiving the mental training to raise this instinctual link to a conscious level, thereby creating the Khala. As a side effect, the Aiur protoss's psychic powers were brought under control by imposing centuries of discipline into this psychic gestalt.

Though they followed Amon for millennia, the Tal'Darim never had the mental training to create their own Khala. Moreover, their communal link was deadened by theit habitual use of terrazine, ultimately making them worthless to Amon's plans.
    hat little I still remember learning in college, energy is energy and it doesn't have ice cream flavors like fantasy magic does.

Quantum mechanics flavors, anyone?

I always figured that the different paths of studying psychic powers merely affected how they worked.

I'm of the opinion that you're ultimately correct. Upon leaving Aiur, the Dark Templar severed their nerve cords, breaking themselves from their species' wellspring of power within the communal link. To fuel themselves, they turned to the Void.

The original manual implies the Void is dangerous for some nebulous, unnamed reason. I suppose Amon was the retconned reason for this. As such, tapping into the Void is dangerous, so even the Dark Templar do so with great caution. I guess only the Tal'Darim are allowed by Amon to use the Void unscathed, allowing them greater power at the expense of insanity (in Nyon's case) or burning out like a star.

I can only guess that, like a transformer, protoss release something like an arc flash on death, ionizing the air in a tremendous burst, with their innate energies no longer under control by cellular/mental processes. Zeratul's and Malash's disintegration must be a byproduct of the Void's "entropic" nature;

Particle disruptors [...] call upon the training of the dark templar pilot to fire lethal blasts of entropic Void energy. Each shot destabilizes matter at a fundamental level, and ultimately tears it apart by disintegrating its atomic composition.
    I just have to wonder what exactly "entropic" means in this case. Thermal entropy is the natural byproduct of thermodynamic processes. Does the Void have a temporal component that leaches away at the potential and kinetic energy of a system? Or is it informational entropy, altering the inherent data of a system to result in disorder? I suppose given the scenario the two interpretations are essentially analogous.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 08-25-2019 at 07:51 AM.