Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if SC1/BW was remade as DLC for SC2?

Default What if SC1/BW was remade as DLC for SC2?

No, I donít mean a faithful translation like Mass Recall. I mean an actual remake that completely rewrites the story for consistency with SC2 (but probably introduces wholly new inconsistencies because Blizzard), structures each campaign into thirty missions (some of which are side missions that are non-linear and have multiple endings), and has the same gimmicky gameplay as the SC2 campaigns.

I know Blizzard has not technically remade any of their games, yet anyway, but WC3R is apparently updating the plot and map structure to modern standards. In any case, it does not hurt to speculate.

I do not expect a remade storyline will be very good, although I do expect that it will be hilariously bad. Here is some speculation on a potential plot structure.

Demo campaign, Enslavers campaigns: either ignored completely or somehow worked into the plot.

Episode I: Yell of the Rebel, Crusade of Liberty or a similarly hackneyed title

I expect that this remake will put the Raynor/Kerry romance front and center.

Mengsk will either be rewritten as some kind of tragic fallen hero, a twisted psychopath who tricked everyone, or changed to the villain from the start. Consistency with SC2? Whatís that?

Duke will either be written out, a minor character, or expanded somehow.

Tassadar, Artanis, Aldaris, and Fenix might be thrown in at some point to explain their later alliance with Raynor.

New characters might be introduced, or SC2 characters recycled.

The structure will be completely different from SC1 and similar to SC2. The main plot will involve the Sons of Korhalís plot to overthrow the Confederacy. Mar Sara will probably play a much bigger role, maybe even not be purified (or at least itís magical recovery will be explained with a smaller purification).

The plots of Libertyís Crusade and Speed of Darkness novels will either be retconned away or worked into the plot somehow.

Side missions will involve research, doing odd jobs for rewards, and so forth, as with SC2.

There will be loads of plot holes and other bad writing.

Episode II: Destiny of the Overmind, Path of the Swarm, Queen of Blades or some other hackneyed name

The main characters will be the terrans and protoss. Zerg characters will either be absent except Kerry, Abathur and Overmind, or Blizzard might do something not stupid for once and give depth to the zerg cast.

Amon will be worked into the plot somehow, probably with the cast trying to figure out a way to stop him. The zerg will either be portrayed as nonsensical heroes out to save the galaxy, or evil monsters that want to subvert the infinite cycle for their own ends.

The side missions will be evolution missions in which the zerg assault terran and protoss targets to acquire new evolutions.

The determinant from the original manual will either be retconned/ignored or revived somehow. Terrans might be explicitly said to have purity of form or something.

The zerg will either be too stupid to find Aiur when telescopes and deep space probes exist or have found Aiur already and are twiddling their thumbs in terran space for some silly reason.

The feral zerg might play a bigger role, particularly if they received a distinct skin by this time. The inability to reclaim ferals in SC1 might be explained or ignored entirely.

The dark templar deus ex machina might be unchanged or retconned when Blizzard realizes it is lazy. But I wonít hold my breath.

There might be an actual reason given for Kerry being infested and the other bizarre behavior previously displayed by the zerg.

The Overmind manifesting on Aiur might be explained or not.

Episode III: Fall of Aiur, Twilight Messiah or some similarly hackneyed title

We will get exposition dumps explaining who the hell these aliens are and why we should care

The plot will definitely be rewritten to explain things, but it will probably be bad.

The Conclave with either be blithering idiots or given an actual justification.

There will be some big tale about a twilight messiah or whatever for Tassadar to fulfill.

The terrans will be more important than the protoss. Kerry might be present on Aiur.

Brood War: I give up on devising titles
    At this point the plot is blatantly stupid and I cannot imagine how Blizzard would make sense of it.

Feel free to share your thoughts.
    I think Starcraft needs rebooting. See "Enumerate" for details (links: timeline, full document, original forum thread).

Default Re: What if SC1/BW was remade as DLC for SC2?

I'd take a hard pass, I really despise SC2's story-line that much.

SC2 should be remade to fit SC1's story rather than the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post

Only because you invested so much into it, Stratos. Try to take it as it is.

I don't like the story of SC1 all that much, either. It feels extremely rushed and squanders its potential, IMO.

I would've preferred something like the Fall of Tarsonis happening at the start, and the campaigns focusing on the invasion of terran space rather than discarding it.

That's why I liked the plot of Insurrection. While certainly questionable, it at least showed the protoss and terrans meeting and allying in their own campaigns. That's way more than SC1 ever did.

We still don't have a proper zerg campaign twenty years on, unless you count Gradius' script for Origins.

Fair enough, I still like Vanilla SC's story, but I would trade my left kidney for a grander scale story that was initially intended. (and no Kerrigan wank BS)

Fair enough, I still like Vanilla SC's story, but I would trade my left kidney for a grander scale story that was initially intended. (and no Kerrigan wank BS)
    All this requires is a more open mind and a slight turn to fantasy (thus it will require some creative thinking) to turn the BS away, you know

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    All this requires is a more open mind and a slight turn to fantasy (thus it will require some creative thinking) to turn the BS away, you know
    Iíll humor you. Iím writing a fanfic where xelínaga space magic creates a new protoss galactic empire and clones a bazillion overminds. They fight the UED for domination of the universe.

https://fanfiction.net/s/13321134/1/...nch-of-Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    I’ll humor you. I’m writing a fanfic where xel’naga space magic creates a new protoss galactic empire and clones a bazillion overminds. They fight the UED for domination of the universe.

https://fanfiction.net/s/13321134/1/...nch-of-Justice
    Given how many times you changed your minds on fics, I'm not going to be convinced you'll stick with this one until I see at least like 10 chapters or something, and I want to hear other people's feedback (right now I'm helping people in Far Cry).

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Given how many times you changed your minds on fics, I'm not going to be convinced you'll stick with this one until I see at least like 10 chapters or something, and I want to hear other people's feedback (right now I'm helping people in Far Cry).
    I suppose you are right. Iím way more interested in writing an original universe with the Confederacy and the Union recycled in space fighting space elves and space bugs.

Even now I still see no reviews for that fic.