Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What if SC1/BW was remade as DLC for SC2?

Default Re: What if SC1/BW was remade as DLC for SC2?

Her hatred was understandable. I know what it's like to be kicked around all the time because I personally experienced it. Put into her situation, I wouldn't have done too much differently in SC1, BW, and WoL.

Quote Originally Posted by drakolobo View Post
    I really do not understand how people do not empathize with Kerrgan, her behavior is very human in the situation she is in, people are not perfect, nor do they apply logic all the time or act under standards and less when they do not get emotional support. they justify any fault even if it is a lack of congruence, her section of the story basically shows that she is :an antihero is and her campaing is a revenge story
    I've always viewed Sc1/BW Kerrigan as this (ie: the same core person throughout, post-infestation and post-Overmind death). She's a more interesting character when seen in this light and because SC1/BW is somewhat open to various interpretations. She got her revenge in BW but Sc2 just had to go and redo it again because it was fun the first time. Didn't work as well the second time round though...
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I really do not understand how people do not empathize with Kerrgan, her behavior is very human in the situation she is in, people are not perfect, nor do they apply logic all the time or act under standards and less when they do not get emotional support. they justify any fault even if it is a lack of congruence, her section of the story basically shows that she is :an antihero is and her campaing is a revenge story
    I believe it stems from the protagonists in SC2 acting like bipolar sociopaths. People who think critically about the story found them repulsive.

I can agree on that although while we are talking about a universe of fiction and not a monolithic narrative body of a novel, looking to go past to extend the tradition by creating newthings instead of working on the material already built becomes very common with protoss
    I find it extremely frustrating that Blizzard seems incapable of expanding on what they have. I suspect it is due to them simply being ignorant of their own IP, though. The wiki has thousands of articles explaining various canonical concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    I've always viewed Sc1/BW Kerrigan as this (ie: the same core person throughout, post-infestation and post-Overmind death). She's a more interesting character when seen in this light and because SC1/BW is somewhat open to various interpretations. She got her revenge in BW but Sc2 just had to go and redo it again because it was fun the first time. Didn't work as well the second time round though...
    Actually, the writers explicitly stated that her defining personality trait is that she has no identity.

One of the core elements of Kerrigan's personality is that of her manipulation by others, and her lack of identity.
    That explains why she never acts consistently between appearances. Every game or book in which she appears depicts her wildly differently.

Also, she's a special snowflake mary sue psychic demigoddess who literally broke the scale measuring psychic powers and is the only human psychic to ever speak with the zerg (except for all the others who did).

There is a ton to hate about her character due to the sheer bad writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Actually, the writers explicitly stated that her defining personality trait is that she has no identity.
    Eh, I invoke "death of the author". I don't let the author's intent (or lack thereof) get in the way of one's own interpretation if there's room for it. Besides, I'm only limiting my interpretation of Kerrigan based solely on what we get in Sc1 and BW (and no other sources).

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Eh, I invoke "death of the author". I don't let the author's intent (or lack thereof) get in the way of one's own interpretation if there's room for it. Besides, I'm only limiting my interpretation of Kerrigan based solely on what we get in Sc1 and BW (and no other sources).
    I still wish you'd at least consider the SC2 lore on it, Tura

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Blizzard killed off both Kerry and Amon for good. I would appreciate it if we could all get past that and move on to other things. I for one would like to discuss reboot proposals where they never existed in the first place, allowing their role to taken by the zerg proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Blizzard killed off both Kerry and Amon for good. I would appreciate it if we could all get past that and move on to other things. I for one would like to discuss reboot proposals where they never existed in the first place, allowing their role to taken by the zerg proper.
    No, Mislag. And if you know my history you'd know why I will not fully turn on what Blizzard did to her character.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    I would if it didn't reframe Kerrigan as having dissociative identity disorder, reducing everything down to good/bad and rendering her redemption arc meaningless. If all her "evil" was not actually due to the "real" human Kerrigan who was always supposedly innocent, saintly and good, she has nothing to atone for.

Beside the fact that HotS revenge arc is repetitious of her having a revenge arc in BW, it also has less room for viewer interpretation/stronger authorial intent.

Yeah I hated the whole revenge part, and then trying to go for redemption at the same time. Blizzard should have picked one, and stuck with it.