Thread: I'd like to discuss an AU about the first contact war... please? I'm desperate!

Default I'd like to discuss an AU about the first contact war... please? I'm desperate!

I've been recovering from a car crash and decided to come back here. Those who have listened to me before know that I am very critical of the canon story. So I would like to use this thread to discuss various ideas and suggestions about a hypothetical AU focused on the first contact war as setup by the original manual, eschewing the prophecies and messiahs and space magic of the games.

Could somebody engage with me? There really isn't anywhere else I can find to discuss this. Nobody seems to be interested. All the discussion forums I could find just keep talking nonstop about Kerry and Raynor.

I've written dozens of pages of notes of ideas and have tons more ideas that I haven't committed to text. Some of those I've posted here, some to google drive, some on my phone, etc. Most of it is probably redundant...

Here are few piece ideas I'd like share to start off with.

Starcraft as a sandbox military scifi

The canon focuses on a tiny caste of characters and forces the entire setting to revolve around them. I prefer to imagine Starcraft as a grand anthology with many characters fighting in the first contact war.

The zerg need to assimilate humanity to survive the inevitable war with the protoss, but the protoss get involved prematurely. That's the basic premise of the first contact war. It is a war over the fate of humanity.

The terrans and protoss have huge political baggage attached. That's where a lot of their shtick comes from. Ultimately it boils down to universal themes like individuality versus confirmity and such.

I'd be happy to elaborate on demand.

Overthinking it: purity of essence

Something that came to me recently is how to reconcile the definition of purity of essence between the manual and SC2. In the manual the purities are purely arbitrary subjective observational constructions of the xel'naga as they try to create the ultimate lifeform. In the SC1 game these were changed to magical complementary traits. In SC2 they become metaphysical parts of the universe.

The actual definitions are pretty simple, if confusing. In the dictionary, "essence" refers to the intrinsic nature of a thing; "purity" means homogenous or free of sin. In the manual "purity of essence" refers to the zerg maintaining their instrinsic nature as zerg despite their physical diversity, with the overmind/hivemind (because their isn't a distinction here yet) being a prerequisite to achieving and maintaining it. In SC2, it refers to the zerg sharing a single genome and pursuing perfection.

You could make further arguments about how the SC2 definition is nonsensical but I think that's a waste of time. Now these seem to be completely opposing, since the former is psychological and the latter is physiological, but it makes perfect sense if you take into account obscure details of the zerg physiology.

As explained in War Stories, the zerg have unique "musical organelles" which are responsible for their telepathy, gene splicing, and telepathic exchange of genes. That's why the xel'naga were interested in them according to the larva biography.

Although the writers never make use of it, the zerg clearly have an ancestral memory stored in their genes, because of course they do. Hatcheries are stated to contain the complete knowledge of the Overmind, unlocking more of it as they mature somehow. Dead zerg personalities may be resurrected in new bodies, regardless of breed. Fragments of zerg corpses retain their memories. The simplest way to explain this is genetic memory, because of course it is.

So for the zerg, their biology and memories are part of their genome or "essence". "Essence" is both their genome and their, for lack of a better term, soul. The hivemind, as exemplified by the Overmind "bodiless entity", enables them to maintain the purity of the essence by synchronizing it across their civilization.

I've been putting a similar amount of thought into other concepts and I'd love to discuss them with others who have second opinions or unique insights I myself lack.

Protoss politics

Protoss politics and history are probably the most underutilized and misused in the canon. I have come up with an extremely detailed and complex political spectrum for them. I have thought long and hard about giving them a detailed and believable history that doesn't oversimplify complex issues.

The Protoss Empire has two major political divisions of conservatives and progressives. In the Koprulu War, the progressives want to protect the terrans whereas the conservatives consider their lives forfeit as collateral damage.

But the politics go further. The dark protoss exiles introduce further wrinkles. They include isolationists, patriots and more. Of relevance to the Koprulu War are those who either wish to help or exploit the terrans. Zeratul's nerazim ally with terrans to fight oppression, whereas Ulrezaj's taldarim ally with pirates to undermine the empire.

A key effect of these politics is that they drag the war for far longer that it could have lasted otherwise. The protoss could easily destroy the terrans and zerg with their superweapons, but other protoss interfere with that.

Again, I could go into more detail if anyone is interested.

I hope to see comments...
    I think Starcraft needs rebooting. See "Enumerate" for details (links: timeline, full document, original forum thread).

Default Re: I'd like to discuss an AU about the first contact war... please? I'm desperate!

Well that's obvious, Mislag. Blizzard made the mistake of focusing them too much on the SC2 storyline, when they were only a piece of the picture.

Anyways, I'm unsure regarding the dark templar's mentality to fight oppression. They merely disliked the Khalai for how they treated them in the past, made so little attempt to understand them, and so on. SC1 and BW didn't really show they were fond of terrans. Even by the beginning of BW Zeratul saw Raynor was trustworthy and everything, but that didn't apply to all terrans.

As for Ulrezaj, his hatred for the Khalai is understandable. We see this happen in real life all the time, where there's always the hatred of others who are different from you. However I'm unsure about undermining the empire. Enslavers merely showed how much Ulrezaj wanted to get rid of the Khalai off Shakuras, and was willing to use the zerg for just that. I don't remember how he was viewed by the rest of the dark templar.

Default Re: I'd like to discuss an AU about the first contact war... please? I'm desperate!

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Well that's obvious, Mislag. Blizzard made the mistake of focusing them too much on the SC2 storyline, when they were only a piece of the picture.

Anyways, I'm unsure regarding the dark templar's mentality to fight oppression. They merely disliked the Khalai for how they treated them in the past, made so little attempt to understand them, and so on. SC1 and BW didn't really show they were fond of terrans. Even by the beginning of BW Zeratul saw Raynor was trustworthy and everything, but that didn't apply to all terrans.

As for Ulrezaj, his hatred for the Khalai is understandable. We see this happen in real life all the time, where there's always the hatred of others who are different from you. However I'm unsure about undermining the empire. Enslavers merely showed how much Ulrezaj wanted to get rid of the Khalai off Shakuras, and was willing to use the zerg for just that. I don't remember how he was viewed by the rest of the dark templar.
    The Empire attempted to exterminate the tribes that refused to join them, and probably succeeded many times. The Protoss Empire calls itself an Empire, a form of government that by definition expands by conquering other nations. The Empire has committed genocide on multiple occasions, against protoss and other species.

Tassadar personally ordered the incineration of billions on multiple planets because the plot demanded it. He is a bigger mass murderer than Hitler.

Dark protoss are already close to human by lacking a Khala. I dare say it makes sense they would sympathize with humans and help them fight the evil empire.

To me, the way a terran may view the Khala (due to their lack of understanding of it) is merely just your resting place upon death, when you finally get to meet god. After all, it's why so many protoss have said they'd eventually become one with the Khala.