Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are good reasons for the zerg to not use technology?

Default Re: What are good reasons for the zerg to not use technology?

Probably the major problem is that Blizz never really explained much. We don't really know exactly how the Zerg travel through space, or if Kerrigan and the Overmind really are the only ones who can warp. They also didn't explain how the other characters could communicate with Kerrigan during the Zerg missions in BW. Clearly they have some means of doing so, but it's all been left to the imagination. Which is probably for the best.

It could possibly be explained that perhaps the Overmind didn't think technology was necessary, because the best biological creatures would be ones that live without it. Though, on the other hand, if the Zerg did mutate into having arm-guns, they'd be even more of a rip off of the tyrannids than they already are.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Probably the major problem is that Blizz never really explained much. We don't really know exactly how the Zerg travel through space, or if Kerrigan and the Overmind really are the only ones who can warp. They also didn't explain how the other characters could communicate with Kerrigan during the Zerg missions in BW. Clearly they have some means of doing so, but it's all been left to the imagination. Which is probably for the best.

It could possibly be explained that perhaps the Overmind didn't think technology was necessary, because the best biological creatures would be ones that live without it. Though, on the other hand, if the Zerg did mutate into having arm-guns, they'd be even more of a rip off of the tyrannids than they already are.
    To me, the Overmind only knew about the whole warping concept because he assimilated the Xel'Naga, and then passed this knowledge onto Kerrigan (hence why the Cerebrates weren't pleased about all this).

With regards to other characters' communications with Kerrigan, you mean other zerg? I thought it was said that the Zerg use a form of telepathy, though different from that of the protoss. Strangely enough, Kerrigan was able to understand this even prior to infestation, one of the reasons why the Confederacy used her for zerg experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    These all falls under the category 2 I would say but you'd still have to explain how they would approach the problem of an enemy capable of:
    -Destroying planets
    -making units that "teleport" through space almost instantaneously
    Don't be in a position where the enemy can use that ability effectively against you. They don't need to counter them head on/directly since with foreknowledge of this capability they can form strategies around them. The Zerg weren't committed in their forays against the Terrans and was expecting losses since the Overmind was just testing the waters and observing the Protoss' reaction. Also, they were largely hiding away on Char and were only revealed to be there at all because of the process of integrating a psionic into their fold. The Zerg were probably not going to engage the Protoss proper until they felt they had an advantage and the initiative of a crippling first strike - which is what they actually ended up doing. Aiur was a good location to invade on a tactical level not only because there'd be no DT there, but that the Protoss wouldn't likely burn their own homeworld with purification beams neither.

Course this wouldn't explain what would happen if the Zerg were exposed earlier. I'd imagine they would employ stealth or guerilla tactics to get around/avoid those Protoss capabilities, difficult as that may be to fathom, until they feel it advantageous to engage. I like to think the Swarm can employ more tactics, like choosing when and where to fight, than just resorting to overt rushing en masse as it's sole military strategy.

And honestly, if they can warp space and shit like that, presumably they can also warp space on a planet offensively and destroy it.
    We've had discussions like this here before. Technology enabling moving at warp speed and teleportation would make conventional ground warfare pointless since once could theoretically use such tech to deposit nukes, redirect a stars energy (ala Farscape), transport enemies into death traps or even just rip apart/disassemble things in a matter of seconds before the other side can react. Only argument from ignorance can justify why it doesn't happen at all (ie: it can't happen because it should've happened and we haven't seen it happen).
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

tl;dr The only explanation is the anthropic principle and suspension of disbelief.

These all falls under the category 2 I would say but you'd still have to explain how they would approach the problem of an enemy capable of:
    -Destroying planets
    -making units that "teleport" through space almost instantaneously
    -(maybe some other tech that I can't think of right now)

These 2 technologies completely change warfare and are an existential threat to the zerg. Even if the zerg leadership insisted on solving problems through biology, these would be a strong wake up call to approach things differently I'd assume. That is, unless the zerg can replicate the same effect through biology. If the overmind and Kerrigan could create warp space tunnels, I'm guessing that there's "something" biological about it that could be engineered in lesser zergs. And honestly, if they can warp space and shit like that, presumably they can also warp space on a planet offensively and destroy it. Presumably, they could also warp space as a defensive mechanism on an incoming nuke or planet cracker. I'm not sure I like the thought of this at all (zerg mages yay! -.-) but I suppose it does fit with the lore. Some limitations to this power would need to be established though.
    Technically, all three races have all of those capabilities and always have. There is a source thread on spacebattles listing all the crazy feats of the three races. In case you want to keep track because there is a lot.

The problem here, as you already said, is that Blizzard cannot stay consistent or clearly define anything. I doubt they even keep track of all these feats and they constantly make up new stuff and create new solutions to problems that already have solutions (e.g. there are at least four different cures for zerg infestation including Confederacy's nanomachine therapy, Protoss's nanomachine therapy, Hanson's medicinal therapy, and the keystone's deus ex machina).

The zerg have at least three different ways to manipulate gravity including overlord telekinesis, corruptor's antigravity cancer, and overmind's warp travel. All of these are biological in nature and prove just as effective as the technological versions.

There is really no logical reason they cannot replicate dovin basals from Star Wars. For quick reference, those are biological engines which produce black holes for defense and propulsion. They can also be used as bombs.

But more importantly, the technology in Starcraft simply makes no sense. The three races are constantly using it for stupid things because the writers are not physicists and have no idea what the logical applications of the tech is. If you can manipulate gravity, then you can use the same gravity drive for propulsion, defense, offense, and numerous other applications.

Mass Effect at least acknowledges this by explaining that all gravity manipulation is the result of applying an exotic matter that produces gravity when you apply electric current. It is used for propulsion, defense, offense and many other applications including toothbrushes.

This is actually a huge problem for me in my fanfiction. Since I actually looked up the applications of the tech on science fiction writing guides, I have to contrive reasons why the three races are not using planets as ammunition.

The simple answer is the anthropic principle. The three races are not instantly nuking the galaxy because there would be no story that way. All other reasons are rationalizations to make sense in the context of the story.
    Last edited by Mislagnissa; 08-14-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    To me, the Overmind only knew about the whole warping concept because he assimilated the Xel'Naga, and then passed this knowledge onto Kerrigan (hence why the Cerebrates weren't pleased about all this).

With regards to other characters' communications with Kerrigan, you mean other zerg? I thought it was said that the Zerg use a form of telepathy, though different from that of the protoss. Strangely enough, Kerrigan was able to understand this even prior to infestation, one of the reasons why the Confederacy used her for zerg experimentation.
    That is a continuity error (and part of the absurd Kerry Sue writing). The novel Liberty's Crusade states that telepathic communication with the zerg was possible but painful for the participants... for no apparent reason. (Kerry Sue being a walking FTL engine is just... I don't even know anymore. Even the dark templar cannot do that and they have personal short-range teleportation.)

The Blizzard writers are incomprehensible and inconsistent, so I would chalk this up to the zerg and protoss have different telepathic "languages" insofar as that makes any sense (according to the wiki the protoss have an actual language called Khalani, and the '98 website promo said they have multiple tribal languages so we can assume telepathy works analogously to speech or radio). In the SC1 manual a khaydarin crystal is used to effortlessly translate between zerg and protoss telepathy somehow (which I cannot even begin to understand the logic of), and since the crystals are ubiquitous in protoss tech then protoss should be able to understand any zerg communications that are not encrypted (which is the only explanation for how Tassadar learned of the Overmind).

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    That is a continuity error (and part of the absurd Kerry Sue writing). The novel Liberty's Crusade states that telepathic communication with the zerg was possible but painful for the participants... for no apparent reason. (Kerry Sue being a walking FTL engine is just... I don't even know anymore. Even the dark templar cannot do that and they have personal short-range teleportation.)
    Liberty's Crusade is one of the books I haven't yet read, wouldn't know about that in detail. For the DT and the whole short range teleportation, you can just say eventually they learned from the Xel'Naga tech (as the Xel'Naga left such things on other planets)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Liberty's Crusade is one of the books I haven't yet read, wouldn't know about that in detail. For the DT and the whole short range teleportation, you can just say eventually they learned from the Xel'Naga tech (as the Xel'Naga left such things on other planets)
    DT get that from their innate psychic powers, not external tech. Attributing everything to xel'naga space magic is just... sweet Jesus, I miss the long past archaic days of old when the protoss actually had branches of science unknown to the space gods.

Talking with you makes me depressed. The writing in Starcraft is vastly inferior to children's shows like Wakfu, Voltron Legendary Defender, Miraculous and Tales of Arcadia. The fact that adult fanboys are gleefully blind to its absurdity constantly saps my desire to continue writing my vastly superior fanfiction reboot. My currently plotted chapter focuses on "Alarak in his penthouse apartment in Protoss!Commorragh doing BDSM on cloned human slaves (because what else would the dark eldar rip-off be doing?)" and the sheer WTF! factor of that statement is still not sufficient to motivate me.

I suppose I should be happy that I post a new chapter once every year rather than never at all. Many amateur writers are nowhere near that regular.

taldarin no copy to dark eldar, they are sith in drugs they have a better darwinian moral
    Last edited by drakolobo; 08-14-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    DT get that from their innate psychic powers, not external tech. Attributing everything to xel'naga space magic is just... sweet Jesus, I miss the long past archaic days of old when the protoss actually had branches of science unknown to the space gods.
    I'll check the manual again, don't recall that part from innate psychic powers....

Quote Originally Posted by drakolobo View Post
    taldarin no copy to dark eldar, they are sith in drugs they have a better darwinian moral
    So basically they are klingons. I am more focused on their actual customs and recreation. Plus an excuse to put Alarak in leather pants and give him a harem like every evil overlord needs.