Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What are good reasons for the zerg to not use technology?

Default Re: What are good reasons for the zerg to not use technology?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Tassadar being killed off was fine, it was a noble sacrifice. It was only a shame his sacrifice didn't end the zerg threat as we had hoped for.

Anyways for your version of what's not remotely plausible, this only again shows your standards will never match the average. If we follow your logic, the whole franchise should be scrapped and we should go all the way back to the drawing board. And trust me, they're not going to so that (well, as far as I know).

Now, returning to the evacuation of Aiur via the warp gate, it's possible they were trying to address the fact that Aiur was reduced to a wasteland to the point where virtually NOTHING was left for FTL travel. Remember, Aldaris specifically said without their fleets, they have to fend for themselves.

For the zerg to come to Shakuras, it was already said they took control of the gate on Aiur. It's possible that the Overmind DID share some of his knowledge of protoss tech with the cerebrates and such, in the event the protoss tried to escape the planet.

For the Xel'Naga temple on Shakuras, they could have built it to kill off other species. It was never stated it'd ONLY kill off species uplifted by the Xel'Naga. For the Uraj and Khalis, it's possible that those were just the power batteries to power to temple. They were cut from Khaydarin crystals, but it's possible they were meant to work long before they were infused with Khala and Void energies. Kerrigan's actions in arriving on Shakuras and why the protoss gave her a chance is because Tassadar aside, they didn't know what kind of a person she was prior to infestation, unlike Raynor.

Bottom line all you're saying is that NOTHING in the storyline was worth anything and they should just remove the franchise altogether. In some ways it'd be quite interesting to see you write your own SC story and have it be criticized. Something tells me you've never been on the receiving end of the stick.
    All of your excuses are implausible.

Tassadar killed himself because it was cool, not because it made any strategic sense. Literally any other dark templar could have substituted for him. Tassadar’s sacrifice cost the protoss his expertise, and ultimately proved pointless because of the Overmind whack-a-mole garbage. That’s bad writing.

The protoss have no problem anywhere else in the game teleporting bases and units or traveling between planets by gate and ship. The xel’naga gate is an unnecessary plot hole.

Your timeline is wrong. The zerg took the gate after the protoss evacuated, yet impossibly arrived and occupied the temple before they did.

Why would anyone would build a generic doomsday device like that on an obscure planet like Shakuras? It’s a plot contrivance. It makes no sense they could not substitute different power sources, either. They already have both khala pylons and dark pylons, whatever the relevant differences are (the whole “invested with khala/void energy” is complete gibberish if you know anything about how energy works; that is actually magical resonance, which is from the fantasy genre and has no place in a scifi setting).

Kerry is a zerg working with the zerg. The protoss were quite willing to incinerate terran worlds because of zerg presence. They should not give a damn that Kerry used to be human.

Yes, the story is garbage and needs rebooting. I’ve only said that about a thousand times. Pretty much everyone except you acknowledges that the story is full of holes and idiocy.

I do write my own Starcraft stories. I told you before and you refused to read/criticize them because you were afraid to hurt my feelings. I have been criticized at length and learned from my mistakes. I have gotten glowing reviews, mostly from alternatehistory.com because it has much higher standards than the wretched hive that is fanfiction.net.

Oh I've acknowledged the plot hole problems, I'm just not the type of person to be that critical like you are. Once again all you do is say all excuses are implausible. If we follow your logic, then there's no such thing as a plausible excuse for ANYTHING. And now you go criticizing ff.net when I had gotten quite a number of good reviews for my SC fic off that site.

I never heard of the site alternatehistory.com. Maybe I'll look sometime in the future.

Anyways this is exactly your problem: you make it sound like everyone else's reasoning is BS and yours is the only one that makes sense. As for you saying you've been criticized at length, how many of those criticisms did you actually accept, and how many did you blow off, feeling those were made by morons who should by put in the insane asylum?
    Last edited by ragnarok; 08-27-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Oh I've acknowledged the plot hole problems, I'm just not the type of person to be that critical like you are. Once again all you do is say all excuses are implausible. If we follow your logic, then there's no such thing as a plausible excuse for ANYTHING. And now you go criticizing ff.net when I had gotten quite a number of good reviews for my SC fic off that site.

I never heard of the site alternatehistory.com. Maybe I'll look sometime in the future.

Anyways this is exactly your problem: you make it sound like everyone else's reasoning is BS and yours is the only one that makes sense. As for you saying you've been criticized at length, how many of those criticisms did you actually accept, and how many did you blow off, feeling those were made by morons who should by put in the insane asylum?
    Fanfiction.net does not foster much criticism due to its low barrier to entry. The Starcraft community there is more interested in soap opera than military scifi.

Alternatehistory.com is full of military history buffs. They gave my story far more attention than ff.net did.

I have rewritten stories in response to criticism. Sometimes I argued, but I acknowledge I made mistakes.

EDIT: I have rewritten my work loads of times even without external criticism. I am human and I come up with stupid ideas all the time. I recognize that there is always room for improvement.
    Last edited by Mislagnissa; 08-28-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    All of your excuses are implausible.

Tassadar killed himself because it was cool, not because it made any strategic sense. Literally any other dark templar could have substituted for him. Tassadar’s sacrifice cost the protoss his expertise, and ultimately proved pointless because of the Overmind whack-a-mole garbage. That’s bad writing.
    tassadar commits suicide because the dark templar is only superficially damaging the ovemind on land, he creates a 1,000-meter psychic bullet
    the overmind was more resistant than the cerabrate and the time was pressing at that moment in history 70% of the population and the contigenes lagged that we evacuated in brood war would die, the strategic reductions. save more lives
    The protoss have no problem anywhere else in the game teleporting bases and units or traveling between planets by gate and ship. The xel’naga gate is an unnecessary plot hole.
    hat there is incoherent that teleportation networks have been damaged ?, in the invasion of aiur Artanis recover the portals as the first phase of recovery in Legacy, the protoss we handle is not a consistent military force are laggards who are trying to leave the planet and the xlnaga portal represents an exit at that moment when the other escape routes are closed, in the Mothership story it is described that the research ships were called and carried evacuation tasks and tried to face lso zerg, Aiur was the planet with the greatest Protoss concentration and the most industrialized few protoss colonies are really just as impressive, few planets should represent this. Shakuras represents a similar scenario therefore a good point to relocate

Why would anyone would build a generic doomsday device like that on an obscure planet like Shakuras? It’s a plot contrivance. It makes no sense they could not substitute different power sources, either. They already have both khala pylons and dark pylons, whatever the relevant differences are (the whole “invested with khala/void energy” is complete gibberish if you know anything about how energy works; that is actually magical resonance, which is from the fantasy genre and has no place in a scifi setting).
    the artifacts are keys, very possibly so that not everyone could use it. The xelnagas should control both, at no time they say that it provides the power of the weapons,
    a famous letter said a sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from the masgia, the energy khala is energy produced by the organic brains of the protoss that is accumulated under the premise that the brain structures can generate energy and the brain can interact directly With the material world, the void energy is an omnipresent energy in the same universe, which means that it exists in the spectrum of cosmic forces that we know of, for example, the material matter and dark energy that all the astronomical models fit. what xelnagas used as a method of travel. the existence of the temples could be for different purposes, be it defensive point, the capacity of attacks on a planetary scale that affects specific organisms is interesting and is reused in WoL as evidence of the technological level Xelnaga
    Kerry is a zerg working with the zerg. The protoss were quite willing to incinerate terran worlds because of zerg presence. They should not give a damn that Kerry used to be human.
    Yes, the story is garbage and needs rebooting. I’ve only said that about a thousand times. Pretty much everyone except you acknowledges that the story is full of holes and idiocy.
    you could be inspired by starcraft and write your original series if it is so bad, the fanfic works best as an extension of the universe, what if scenario, crosssover, at the end Starcraft and starcraft 2 are canon and they write the rules of the universe, if fundadamentel are a disaster I think I will produce something new it is better to take the best concepts
    I do write my own Starcraft stories. I told you before and you refused to read/criticize them because you were afraid to hurt my feelings. I have been criticized at length and learned from my mistakes. I have gotten glowing reviews, mostly from alternatehistory.com because it has much higher standards than the wretched hive that is fanfiction.net.
    he suspension of disbelief allows us to enjoy stories of fiction, having a broad criterion to be able to focus on what it takes to tell you the story,
    that allows me to see a movie like starwar, where the aliens are too human, although if we go deeper we have plausibel explanations like the convergent evolution, or the explanation of halo + the jupiter acceleration, the humanity is more ancient and galactic level and has planted in multitude of planets with slight evolutionary variations
    Last edited by drakolobo; 08-28-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Drak, I can barely understand what you are saying because your text is riddled with errors.

In any event, all of those are plot contrivances or contradictions. They are not at all necessary to tell the story, they are filler designed solely to pad out the missions. Metzen simply was not a good writer: he constantly wrote himself into corners so he relied on lazy shortcuts and plotholes. He artificially dragged out the story with bad writing because he had no idea what to do with it.

I am writing a reboot. I talked about that in the past IIRC.

Fanfiction.net does not foster much criticism due to its low barrier to entry. The Starcraft community there is more interested in soap opera than military scifi.

Alternatehistory.com is full of military history buffs. They gave my story far more attention than ff.net did.

I have rewritten stories in response to criticism. Sometimes I argued, but I acknowledge I made mistakes.

EDIT: I have rewritten my work loads of times even without external criticism. I am human and I come up with stupid ideas all the time. I recognize that there is always room for improvement.
    Interesting for alternatehistory. As a reader of dozens of WWII books, it may be interesting to check out. And I didn't mind the community on ff.net for pairings. Sure, we all know that's never supposed to be the point for the SC games, but in fics you can do otherwise.

For example, if you're going to limit the scope of it all to just a single battle, then by all means a pairing is just fine.

I am getting ahead of myself. Really, the first plot device is the psi-emitter. It is a plot device because its entire purpose is to attract the zerg, thereby dooming the planet to destruction. The logistics simply do not work out, and this is a running problem with Metzen's writing.

The zerg in Koprulu are at a disadvantage against the protoss. That is the entire reason they are in Koprulu, at least before Metzen retconned/plotholed that away. They are fighting the war on multiple fronts, with their broods spread across multiple different planets. The zerg present in Koprulu are a scout force (the broods listed in the manual have laughably small numbers as Gradius noted), and one which the terrans could repel if they got their act together. Furthermore, the zerg are intelligent and actively seeking out human psychics rather than mindlessly following psychic beacons.

When Arcturus is summoning the zerg, where are they coming from? Zerg forces sent to investigate the beacon have to be drawn from existing forces and this would weaken the front they were previously fighting at. Furthermore, there are not enough zerg to arbitrarily overwhelm any planet; that is a plot contrivance Metzen phoned in to justify relegating the Koprulu war to a footnote. The circumstances of the Battle of Chau Sara are vague enough that you could argue the purification of the planet was overzealous: the militia was still fighting to the end and the Confederacy was actively jamming communications for unspecified reasons.

In the novel Speed of Darkness, the author demonstrates an understanding of logistics by having the cast use the zerg’s limited numbers to their advantage. When Mar Sara City is being evacuated, the cast deploys a psi-emitter to lure away the zerg forces to give the evacuation the time it needed.

Mar Sara could have easily been the sole location of the entire SC1 story and explored the same thematic ground. It is the setting of at least one novel and short story, and a major location in the first part of WoL despite having been incinerated.

I still haven't read the Speed of Darkness book, I wouldn't know.

The psi-emitter was an experimental Confederate project. It's not like they knew just how much zerg it'd REALLY end up attracting. The main problem was when it was used at Tarsonis. You'd think there'd have to be a lot more zerg in the sector for it to work, not for them to be so far away and such.

Really, the first plot device is the psi-emitter. It is a plot device because its entire purpose is to attract the zerg, thereby dooming the planet to destruction. The logistics simply do not work out, and this is a running problem with Metzen's writing.
    Seems like you're implying that any story that uses plot device is "bad". You do realise that every story in existence runs on plot device/artifice/conceit, right? The Psi emitter's function and role in moving the plot is somewhat secondary to its importance in bringing about character development (ie: Mengsk's resolve in seeing his mission through and his growing egomania, Kerrigan's questioning about the lengths that they're resorting to) - which is what most people find more memorable than what it actually does. This is how plot devices are used effectively - to balance or override the obvious nature of it just moving a plot along. Contrast this with the use of the Psi Disruptor plot device, where it's purely used to mechanically move the plot and the characters into specific positions and situations.

and one which the terrans could repel if they got their act together.
    I highly doubt that. Even were it not for the game to demonstrate it (the Confeds - the mightiest Terran faction at the time - can barely control or resist them even when they know the most about them), the manual clearly pits the Terrans as being weak and defenceless against the Zerg.

When Arcturus is summoning the zerg, where are they coming from? Zerg forces sent to investigate the beacon have to be drawn from existing forces and this would weaken the front they were previously fighting at. Furthermore, there are not enough zerg to arbitrarily overwhelm any planet; that is a plot contrivance Metzen phoned in to justify relegating the Koprulu war to a footnote. The circumstances of the Battle of Chau Sara are vague enough that you could argue the purification of the planet was overzealous: the militia was still fighting to the end and the Confederacy was actively jamming communications for unspecified reasons.
    I've always taken the Zerg "attraction" to the Psi Emitter as being tied to the Overminds motivation in finding a Terran psionic - as in they are not mindlessly compelled but that it is a wilful response/reaction of the Overmind chasing down a lead. As to whether the Zerg forces sent to "overwhelm a planet" is meant to be taken literally, I just consider that the scope of Sc1 was actually pretty small and that what amounted to a "planet" was really just the colony on that planet.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.