Thread: What do protoss call their warp/gate mechanics?

Default What do protoss call their warp/gate mechanics?

In the SC1 manual, protoss used “warp gate” generically to refer to the wormholes created by probes, gateways and stargates. Buildings and units were “warped in” rather than trained or spawned on-site.

In SC2, the terminology is completely different. A “warp gate” is an upgrade to a gateway and “warp in” refers to having units queues place units anywhere with the psi matrix radius of pylons.

What do the protoss call building construction, production structures and unit queues now?

Default Re: What do protoss call their warp/gate mechanics?

It is only tangentially related but I did not want to make a new thread for it since this one is already discussing linguistics.

I finally made a break through in my analysis of the protoss phrase Dae'Uhl meaning "great stewardship."

Initially I had assumed that there is no possible way that “dae’uhl” translates to “great stewardship” because it is too short. However, if we assume this translation is idiomatic or poetic rather than literal then it is much easier to figure out a literal translation.

First of all we have to determine how the word is actually pronounced since the spelling gives very little indication of pronunciation due being coined by a native English speaker and we all know how spelling does not correspond to pronunciation in most English words.

For example:
    • “dae” could be pronounced as /daj/, /da.e/, /dej/ and such (if you do not understand IPA, then it sounds like DIE, DA EH, DAY)
    • “uhl” could be pronounced as /əl/ or /ə.l/, maybe /ju/ or /u/ plus /hl/ or /l/ with or without a syllable break in between

I will assume the correct pronunciation is somewhere along the lines of /daj.jei.juː.həl/ or sounding like the words DIE YAY YOU HULL. The word dae translates to “great” a la dai in Japanese. The word uhl translates to the “ard” morpheme (a morpheme is the smallest recognizable unit of meaning) in the words guard, ward, and yard. The phrase dae'uhl literally translates to “great (gu/w/y)ard,” which may be poetically tweaked into "great stewardship" due to the context.

Default Re: What do protoss call their warp/gate mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    What do the protoss call building construction, production structures and unit queues now?
    Considering what you've said about the SC2 lore, I think we already know what your answer to that is: Deus Ex Machina.