Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Dragoons "Realistic?"

Default Are Dragoons "Realistic?"

I was reading an article on Phys Org about new treatments for encouraging a patient's body to accept bone transplants. We have such advanced medical technology now it's ridiculous; viral vector therapy, prosthetics with haptic feedback, cloning and regeneration, neutral circuitry, etc.

Why, then, don't the protoss treat their wounded with technology that far surpasses our own? Do zealots accept so many grafts and prosthetics over the years that, by the final time they've fallen in battle, they're little more than a brain in a shell anyways? Is that why the central hub of a dragoon is so small -- because there's nothing left but a head?

Also, as a side note-- do we know what that spinning device is under their chassis?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Default Re: Are Dragoons "Realistic?"

I'm happy with cyborg zealots- imo the ones with the zealot leg upgrades should have 100% robotic legs already, no reason why one who lost an arm or something wouldn't get a prosthetic arm.

That said, then it kind of doesn't make sense that critically injured zealots are never placed in zealot-shaped Purifier-style robot bodies.

For the spinning thing, I would just make up some technobabble, like it 'stabilizes or grounds the photonic field' or something.

I kinda wonder if the rotating thing is the result of gameplay changes between alpha and beta stages. We see that the Goliaths have an extra chain gun on the underside. Heroes of the Storm gave Fenix a rapid fire blaster, but removed the rotating thing entirety.

Do zealots accept so many grafts and prosthetics over the years that, by the final time they've fallen in battle, they're little more than a brain in a shell anyways? Is that why the central hub of a dragoon is so small -- because there's nothing left but a head?
    If we refer to the immortal portrait, it seems like they still have most of their body. I'd assume that it would be the same for dragoons in most cases. Plus, most other protoss that you see in the games appear to have their full body. Possible reasons off the top of my head:

-It's an honor to fall in battle and having a crippled body is a badge of honor. Therefore, Protoss willingly refuse to have their body regenerated.
    -A fallen protoss has the choice to have his body healed OR get transplanted into a killing machine that is tactically superior in many situations. Some chose the latter.
    -Protoss, being "perfect", have a body that is a lot more complicated than humans and recovery, even with the best tech that can be offered, is a long/hard process. On the other hand, being transplanted in a dragoon is fast/simple.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Could be a cultural thing. Growing new Protoss body parts could be seen as a taboo desecration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Could be a cultural thing. Growing new Protoss body parts could be seen as a taboo desecration.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    It's an honor to fall in battle and having a crippled body is a badge of honor. Therefore, Protoss willingly refuse to have their body regenerated.
    This. Protoss are all about tradition, honour and pride. It's definitely a cultural reason if anything else. It'd also explain why such a high tech race who can and should exclusively deliver death from afar with frickin laser beams and mind powers would even bother to have their core infantry force engage in melee combat, which is the most risky and least efficient method of engaging in combat.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I find it incredible the protoss don't have some form of high-precision long ranged option for surgical strikes. As much as the Elite's honor bound culture influenced the Covenant military, their forces still used snipers. There has to be some equivalent available to the protoss.

What, do High Templar look through a scope and make them enemy's head pop?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I find it incredible the protoss don't have some form of high-precision long ranged option for surgical strikes. As much as the Elite's honor bound culture influenced the Covenant military, their forces still used snipers. There has to be some equivalent available to the protoss.

What, do High Templar look through a scope and make them enemy's head pop?
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...niper&amp=true

I meant the Khalai and you know it.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Why, then, don't the protoss treat their wounded with technology that far surpasses our own? Do zealots accept so many grafts and prosthetics over the years that, by the final time they've fallen in battle, they're little more than a brain in a shell anyways? Is that why the central hub of a dragoon is so small -- because there's nothing left but a head?
    It's probably just their warrior's code in a warped way: you give them something to fight in via their warrior spirit, that is all