Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tribal skin tones?

Default Re: Tribal skin tones?

I love your analyses. It gives me all sorts of fluff ideas. I've even been skimming the Enumerate docs for inspiration (I like the classification of worlds it uses - blue/orange desert are very evocative terms, for instance).
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

One thing I like that SC2 did for unit portraits was provide some diversity in facial structure and eyes. Sadly this did not carry over to the cinematic 'Toss.

I need to add some revisions to the bloodlines I identified. Trying to classify every combination of colors would lead to a dozen distinct bloodlines, so I condensed similar skin tones into one bloodline. A general note is that some protoss portraits change eye color (between light blue, vivid yellow and red/orange) depending on emotion, so their natural eye color is impossible to determine. I included references so that you can check these out for yourself. I don't pretend that this list is exhaustive.

Note that canon doesn't treat protoss skin tones the least bit consistently. Characters change skin color between sources, sometimes within the same source such as the Sacrifice comic (and the differences are too extreme to be explained by lighting most of the time). Without a consistent basis, it is impossible to make any analysis about the heritage of a particular character's skin color.

Bloodline #1
    Skin: generally grey or white, with brown or red markings (stripes, spots, etc)
    Eyes: laser red, dark vivid yellow, or dark blue
    Examples: SC1 high templar portrait, high templar Oong, zealot action figure, various zealots in SC1 concept art

Bloodline #2
    Skin: generally reddish, ranging from rosy to ruddy
    Eyes: light blue, yellow or red/orange
    Examples: SCR protoss building portrait (Judicator Aldaris), SC1 zealot/dragoon hero portrait (Praetor Fenix)

Bloodline #3
    Skin: pale green, lime green or dark green
    Eyes: yellow, lime green, or dark blue
    Examples: SC1 carrier pilot, Tabrenus (Sacrifice comic), SC1 zealot

Bloodline #4
    Skin: stark white, grey off-white
    Eyes: yellow or red
    Examples: SC1/SCR arbiter pilot, Zekrath (Sacrifice comic), some Shelak characters in Dark Templar Trilogy, typical tal'darim/forged designs in SC2

Bloodline #5
    Skin: dark blue, violet, cobalt blue, may be washed out in brighter lighting
    Eyes: yellow, red/orange, sickly green
    Examples: SCR Artanis portrait and splash screen art (same source), SC1/SCR protoss face cover art, Tassadar's model in cinematic "The Death of the Overmind", Shelak tribe in some parts of Dark Templar Trilogy, typical nerazim designs in SC2 and SCR, Nahaan (Sacrifice comic)

Bloodline #6
    Skin: silvery color, pale blue, grey blue, grey with violet tinge, dark grey; may have brown eyebrows or beards
    Eyes: light blue, red, orange, yellow, white
    Examples: Tassadar action figure, typical khalai designs in SC2 and SCR, Urun in Shadow Wars #4-6, SC1 protoss building portrait (Judicator Aldaris, Master Khalai Menbellir) (The SC1 protoss building portrait is difficult to make out and I cannot determine whether the skin is grey or brown)

Bloodline #7
    Skin: yellowish, light brown, medium brown
    Eyes: light blue, white
    Examples: Artanis' model in WoL, Urun in Sacrifice and Shadow Wars #1-3, Aldaris in Sacrifice,

Bloodline #8 (may be same as bloodline #2 or #7)
    Skin: vivid orange
    Eyes: yellow, red/orange
    Examples: SC1 scout portrait

To sum up protoss diversity: they have much greater range in color than humans do, like a crayon box's worth of colors. Eye colors are generally some variation of red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue or white. Skin colors are generally some variation of grey, white, pink, green, cyan, blue, indigo, violet, brown or orange. Sometimes they have contrasting markings like stripes, freckles and so forth.

According to the SC2 Q&A #13, Artanis was definitely Akilae and Aldaris was likely Ara. Since they lack consistent skin colors between sources we don't know what the common phenotypes are.

I was mistaken. The arbiter pilots are actually Auriga, not Shelak. Says so in the original manual.
    Not quite.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarCraft Manual, Page 83
    Arbiter
    Role: Judicator Sanctum [...]
    Psychic Judicators crew the Arbiter ships, and they use the Arbiter as a focal point to project a reality-warping field
    Quote Originally Posted by StarCraft Manual, Page 90
    Auriga [...]
    Charged with servicing and operating the massive Carrier ships and Arbiters that protect the space-ways of Aiur...
    We do not know the exact crew complement and crew roles of Arbiters. It could be that a small group of Judicators serve aboard it to focus its powers, is piloted exclusively by Judicators, or Templar may pilot it. The wiki claims that Judicators exclusively crew the Arbiters, but I cannot find the original source for that claim.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Not quite.

We do not know the exact crew complement and crew roles of Arbiters. It could be that a small group of Judicators serve aboard it to focus its powers, is piloted exclusively by Judicators, or Templar may pilot it. The wiki claims that Judicators exclusively crew the Arbiters, but I cannot find the original source for that claim.
    The battle.net site says so, which was copied from the 1998 Starcraft site. Here's the description in its entirety:

The only warship to be crewed exclusively by non-Templar, the mighty Arbiter is used to provide special support for assault groups. Psychic Judicators crew the Arbiter ships, and they use the Arbiter as a focal point to project a reality-warping field that serves to conceal all friendly units within close proximity. Since the Arbiter must be anchored firmly in space-time to safely generate such a large field, it is immune to the effects and remains visible, even when surrounded by the field of another Arbiter.

The Judicator crew can also use the Arbiter to quickly move troops from one location to another, by opening up a rift in the fabric of space-time. Troops entering the warp rift are Recalled back to the Arbiter that formed the field. These teleported troops, of course, also benefit from the Arbiter's distortion field.

In addition to destabilizing local reality to generate its distortion field, some Arbiters are capable of strengthening discrete pockets of space-time. Anything caught within these absolute pockets is beyond the reach of any normal interaction, friendly or otherwise. Units trapped in a stasis field can neither move nor attack, and are completely immune to the effects of damage and special abilities. This ability is equally effective at protecting Protoss troops until reinforcements can arrive, and pacifying foolish attackers.
    Furthermore, it doesn't make much sense for librarians and crystal scientists to crew warships.

In order for the statements about the Auriga and arbiter crew to be mutually true, then those judicators must be members of the Auriga tribe. There's no reason why that cannot be the case.

While the tribe bios suggest they fit neatly into one caste or another, the manual states that the judicator caste was drawn from protoss elders as well. That is a function of age and experience, not ethnicity. This suggests that judicators may come from any tribe, and that khalai and templar may change their caste to judicator upon meeting the prerequisites (which contradicts the definition of a caste, but whatever).

As I thought about it I came to realize that protoss society is a complex web of tribes, clans, bloodlines, castes and so forth.