Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    I strongly suspect the reason why the fanbase has been dying out is due in part to the terrible storytelling, and not just the general decline of traditional RTS.
    The only aspect of the fanbase that is dying out are those interested in the lore/fluff. Blizz games are generally still fun to play and people still do, so they're hardly dying out in that regard.

Otherwise, Blizzard wouldn't be currently investing so much money in remastering WC3 if they didn't think they would recoup their investment from a dying market.
    Remasters are just another way for them to wring more money from the nostalgic (sequels being the more usual route). In some ways, they can be more effective (and more efficient/profitable for the maker) in doing that than a sequel - and even moreso, if a sequel that came before it wasn't what the nostalgics were looking for... *insert conspiracy theory here*

not the unrepentant moron he was in canon.
    Don't lie. He repented in the Eye of the Storm.

Also, how was Aldaris "moronic" (or more moronic) compared to say, Tassadar's actions? Had Tassadar stuck to just burning worlds and fighting the Zerg at a distance, none of what befell the Protoss in Sc1 would've likely happened. In some regard, Aldaris is a more sensible person than Tassadar was; it just so happened that things didn't happen to go his way (which is hardly his fault) whereas it improbably did for Tass. Sure, Aldaris was an antagonist but he was never villainous.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Don't lie. He repented in the Eye of the Storm.

Also, how was Aldaris "moronic" (or more moronic) compared to say, Tassadar's actions? Had Tassadar stuck to just burning worlds and fighting the Zerg at a distance, none of what befell the Protoss in Sc1 would've likely happened. In some regard, Aldaris is a more sensible person than Tassadar was; it just so happened that things didn't happen to go his way (which is hardly his fault) whereas it improbably did for Tass. Sure, Aldaris was an antagonist but he was never villainous.
    Episode 3 is easily the weakest story in Starcraft 1. Aldaris' apology didn't seem genuine to me and felt more like it was forced by the writer due to the campaign ending approaching.

Tassadar only looks like an idiot because the writer wasted perfectly good plot hooks. He was originally stated to be doing so out of compassion for humanity, but this never plays a role in the plot other than a forced alliance with Raynor because the writer decided to magically solve the first contact war in the first act.

If I was writing Starcraft, I would keep the story focused entirely on the Terran sector and politics there. The terran politics are all over the place what with three major governments (that we know of!), a rebel alliance, and numerous independent colonies. The protoss expedition fleets have their schism between the genocidal faction and the compassionate faction (which I have referred to as conservative and progressive); the dark protoss are a complete wildcard. The zerg are trying to continue harvesting operations whilst fighting off enemies and psychic warfare that fractures broods.

You could build an entire multimedia franchise around that, with countless characters starring in their own campaigns, and people would probably continue to like it for years after it was published like they do for other healthy fandoms. Instead, the terrible storytelling strangled the fandom.

The most creative stories I ever see are in custom campaigns that ignore the canon, made by people who don't even seem to know that much about canon either. (Which is strange because there's an entire wiki about it that you can reference for context.)

Annihilation features a "psi-emitter" which produces sound waves that attract zerg and controls them with an engineered cyborg parasite. That's not how a psi-emitter works at all, but I can't exactly complain about it because it's just technobabble to explain how the villains are enslaving zerg. The bigger problem is that the heroes are purely reactionary, but the writing is still leagues better than Blizzard's because the characters are consistent and don't act like psychotic morons.

Ignos features an independent tribe of Daelaam who aren't associated with the other protoss and didn't lose the Khala. They're being invaded by zerg who want to eat them or something and when they visit other planets to find the macguffin that will turn the tide, they encounter primal zerg infesting the planet because that's apparently a thing now. The writing is paper thin and exists solely to tie the missions together, but it's still better than Blizzard's.

In the written fanfiction, there are few stories that aren't about Kerry and the few that do exist are either strangled by the canon or have absolutely no relation whatsoever (like the self-inserts). The setting just doesn't seem to interest most writers, probably because Blizzard didn't care about it either.

Meanwhile, even the Warcraft fandom is more creative despite how utterly absurd the lore has become. The most popular stories in the Warcraft category are wildly more creative with regard to the setting compared to the Starcraft category. This is probably because Blizzard clearly lavished magnitudes more care on World of Warcraft, and if they made a Starcraft MMO we would see a corresponding burst of creativity in that category.

Of course, there might be loads of great Korean fanfiction considering the games' popularity in South Korea which is inaccessible to me because I do not understand Korean. Is there anybody here who speaks Korean and could give a rough overview of the fanfiction in Korean?

By the way, I found a book on google called "Tempest of the Battlefield" originally from China which explicitly uses the word "zergs" to refer to alien bugs fought by humanity. It doesn't seem to be related to Starcraft at all beyond using that name. Go figure.