Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 156

Thread: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

  1. #1

    Default Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    Reading about the development of Starcraft reveals that major events like the fall of the Confederacy, the infestation of Kerry, the invasion of Aiur, Tassadar's sacrifice, etc were not originally planned but devised well into production. The backstory in the original manual seemed to have solidified before then and informed development. The status quo is that the zerg and protoss are fighting in koprulu with terrans caught in the middle.

    Let's have a thought experiment. If you had to write the story of a new game using only the original manual as a basis, what would you have written?

    Let's add some rules to keep things from getting stale: you cannot include Metzen's bizarre extraneous additions like Queen of Blades, UED, or the xel'naga. This is because Koprulu was deliberately cut off from Earth for a clean slate, the zerg build armies of monsters not individual mary sues, and the xel'naga are just a plot device to explain where the aliens came from. Adding those dilute the premise and, despite what some people might think, are not integral to Starcraft.

    Obviously, I would have used Enumerate as my template so I have no further comment in that area.
    I think Starcraft needs rebooting. See "Enumerate" for details (links: timeline, full document, original forum thread).

  2. #2

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    There you go with this again, which shows you're mostly interested in using the nuke option

  3. #3

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    You should probably also add the rule that the status quo (that the 3 races are always equal and never gain a decisive advantage over the other) has to be maintained because otherwise it'd be too easily biased toward one's race preference.

    For example, if it were up to me following on from the manual and the status quo could be changeable, I'd just have the Zerg take the psionic potential off the Terrans and kill them all off cos the Terrans are really that weak. Then the Zerg fight the Protoss for some time until they get enough samples to start assimilating them and then eventually beat them as well. The bits in between are all just "details". As you can probably tell from this, I have a bias toward/like the Zerg and it'd make for a dull story...
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.


    _______________________________________________

  4. #4

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    Let's add some rules to keep things from getting stale: you cannot include Metzen's bizarre extraneous additions like Queen of Blades, UED, or the xel'naga.
    Obviously, I would have used Enumerate as my template so I have no further comment in that area.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    You should probably also add the rule that the status quo (that the 3 races are always equal and never gain a decisive advantage over the other) has to be maintained because otherwise it'd be too easily biased toward one's race preference.

    For example, if it were up to me following on from the manual and the status quo could be changeable, I'd just have the Zerg take the psionic potential off the Terrans and kill them all off cos the Terrans are really that weak. Then the Zerg fight the Protoss for some time until they get enough samples to start assimilating them and then eventually beat them as well. The bits in between are all just "details". As you can probably tell from this, I have a bias toward/like the Zerg and it'd make for a dull story...
    Sure, why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    There is no obligation to include the fall of the Confederacy or the invasion of Aiur either. The Koprulu war could last an arbitrarily long period of time. Starcraft 1 kind of shot itself in the foot by resolving every plot thread it introduced, which is why every sequel is kind of lame. You could make a whole franchise about the Koprulu war alone.

    EDIT: Even the whole thing about dark templar killing cerebrates can be ignored because it is not foreshadowed in the manual. In fact, cerebrate immortality is not suggested either. They could be killed by normal means!
    Last edited by Mislagnissa; 04-18-2018 at 02:58 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    EDIT: Even the whole thing about dark templar killing cerebrates can be ignored because it is not foreshadowed in the manual. In fact, cerebrate immortality is not suggested either. They could be killed by normal means!
    You mean what happened in the last BW terran mission? I felt the 3rd protoss mission used the DT killing strategy merely to force the player to build DTs. After all, the Overmind made it clear in SC1 that HE'S the one who does the reincarnating. The Cerebrates can't do it themselves.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    I wouldn't have made a game. I would have made a novel series.

    ...But, if we must make a game, I would have made it exactly like SC and BW, except that Aldaris would have a logical reason for not sending a transmission to Zeratul about the Matriarch, the second Terran missions would have been about Mengsk maintaining his rule/dealing with factions and infighting, and Raynor and Fenix would not have worked all that closely with Kerrigan for no reason.


    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    You mean what happened in the last BW terran mission? I felt the 3rd protoss mission used the DT killing strategy merely to force the player to build DTs. After all, the Overmind made it clear in SC1 that HE'S the one who does the reincarnating. The Cerebrates can't do it themselves.
    Why are you expecting SC to be consistent? It is not and never has been consistent. The writers made things up as they went along.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I wouldn't have made a game. I would have made a novel series.

    ...But, if we must make a game, I would have made it exactly like SC and BW, except that Aldaris would have a logical reason for not sending a transmission to Zeratul about the Matriarch, the second Terran missions would have been about Mengsk maintaining his rule/dealing with factions and infighting, and Raynor and Fenix would not have worked all that closely with Kerrigan for no reason.
    That's against the rules I listed. I specifically said no QoB.

    The official games are a complete waste of the IP's potential: full of plot devices, deus ex machinas, retcons, plot holes, villains coming out of the woodwork, etc. I really do not understand why you would just ape them. Here, I'll give an example of what kind of story you could tell if you were starting from scratch without aping the plot of BW.

    The setup given in the manual is that the zerg are invading humanity to use their psychic genes for developing weapons against the protoss. However, the protoss have tracked zerg deep space probes to the koprulu sector. Executor Tassadar incinerated Chau Sara, but his conscience forced him to withdraw. Now the Confederacy is dealing with the zerg infestation that is steadily approaching the heart of their space. There are also politics at play among all three races.

    In addition to the Confederacy are the Umojans and Kel-Morians and rebels. The Kel-Morians have been all but annexed into a client state of the Confederacy, but the recent alien invasion gives them a chance to reclaim their power. The Umojans are secretly funding rebel activities against the Confederacy, and they want to make truce with the protoss to learn from them.

    In the protoss, the tribes Ara and Akilae have come into conflict over how to deal with the terrans caught in the crossfire. The Ara, a judicator caste and "praetorian guard" tribe, sees no problem with exterminating them as collateral damage. The Akilae, a templar caste and "high templar command" tribe, wants to protect the terrans against the zerg. Meanwhile, the mysterious dark templar have probably followed the zerg probes as well, and they might involve themselves in the conflict for whatever reason.

    In the Zerg, the broods have a unity but can still develop camaraderie, rivalry and other politics. Zasz of the Garm Brood is considered whiny and unstable by the other cerebrates, while Kagg of the Surtur Brood is blood crazed and needs to be restrained when not deployed.

    I would stay away from the psi emitter plot, since it is overused and the logic behind it is questionable. While it makes sense that the zerg would investigate the source, they are doing so because they are searching for psychics to assimilate. If they discover they are being lured then they may refuse.

    I would stay away from anything approaching infested terran leaders for the swarm. The zerg desire the terrans for use as weapons, not control nodes. Furthermore, the Overmind created the cerebrates in the form of giant brains. I assume there is a practical reason for this and that you cannot just ignore that in future installments to replace them with pack leaders, brood mothers or whatever.

    Since cerebrates are not immortal and the Overmind is a bodiless entity, there is no deus ex machina that can defeat all the zerg at once. If a cerebrate is killed, then I presume its brood will just create a new one. However, given the existence of psychic warfare, I suppose it make sense that broods could be fractured from the swarm. Given what we already know about the Overmind uniting the zerg, I predict these fractured broods would develop their own separate Overminds or something along those lines.

    All three races have their own motivations and conflicts. The terrans are dealing with civil strife and alien invasion. The zerg need to assimilate the terrans before the protoss destroy them and survive long enough to develop a force that can invade the protoss empire. The protoss are dealing with a debate over whether to save or exterminate the terrans in the process. The dark templar are out there, biding their time.

    It is a sandbox setting which could really go anywhere.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Why are you expecting SC to be consistent? It is not and never has been consistent. The writers made things up as they went along.
    And yet you complain so much about SC2's lack of consistency.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

    Mislag, you're going on too much about that. The Queen of Blades is not extraneous, no matter how much you claim she is. And you can't call the manual the only real canon.

    Besides, I answered the question as accurately as possible. I like Starcraft as it is, SC2 aside.


    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Similar Threads

  1. Hypothetical Reboot?
    By Undeadprotoss in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-18-2017, 04:32 AM
  2. New Map/Tilesets - Art Direction?
    By Undeadprotoss in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-10-2015, 01:34 PM
  3. StarCraft II Dark Templar Art Direction
    By DemolitionSquid in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 06:05 PM
  4. New MMO is officialy a NEW franchise.
    By sandwich_bird in forum Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •