Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Let's brainstorm a Starcraft rip-off

Default Re: Let's brainstorm a Starcraft rip-off

"FTL was redesigned in 2.0, though."
    Ah, I didn't play that patch yet since it killed half my mods.

Interesting to give the bugs hyperspace lanes. Some natural phenomena they are aware of and is outclassed by other stuff? Or is navigating it so complex it requires a hive mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    Interesting to give the bugs hyperspace lanes. Some natural phenomena they are aware of and is outclassed by other stuff? Or is navigating it so complex it requires a hive mind.
    There are a number of different ways to explain why they use different methods. It would be easiest if everyone used the same kind, but this is an aesthetic choice to make them stand out more.

A lot of it, I think, has to do with knowledge and technical capability. The humans and bugs developed their FTL from scratch, but the former use machines and the latter living creatures. The elves reverse-engineered their tech from the ancient elves, so they have yet to master it or replicate some feats of the humans and bugs.

In theory it should be possible for them to replicate the other's FTL method if they understood the principles behind it and their technology did not prohibit it. In practice, this may not be feasible or preferable. It may not be feasible for the bugs to create warp drives using living creatures; conversely, it may not be feasible to enter hyperspace in the first place without a bug swarm. The elves might not reverse-engineer human warp drives because their wormhole network is faster (since we can assume the ancient elves already placed a network of portals across the space where the game story occurs, including human space being on the frontier of the ancient empire).

In Andromeda, slipstream (their version of hyperspace lanes) requires the intuition of biological life to travel with speed and precision. An AI that tried to travel on its own would be lost for months before it reaches its destination, if it ever does before running out of fuel. In Dune, prescient abilities unlocked by the spice prove superior to computers with regard to calculating the trajectory of FTL jumps, as a miscalculation may result in immediate death or getting permanently lost. Something similar may apply to hyperspace travel, where the bugs rely on intuition and/or limited prescience to traverse hyperspace safely. (To explain why the bugs do not use prescience to predict the outcome of battles burrows logic from Dune itself: typically prescience only extends into the immediate present and more advanced application may invalidate free will due to the paradox of omniscience. For example, one may predict one's own death and any attempts to prevent it only ensure that it happens. In my view of bug psychology, they are terrified of dead ends and desire to marry the best parts of unity and diversity.)

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Do hyperspace lanes have any basis in reality? What’s the science behind it. I think in Andromeda it had something to do with quantum entanglement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Do hyperspace lanes have any basis in reality? Whatís the science behind it. I think in Andromeda it had something to do with quantum entanglement.
    Hyperspace lanes have no basis in reality.

Here are a few ideas for potentially interesting story lines with the right execution. You can probably tell they are based on some of the sillier plots in SC.

Mengsk did nothing wrong
    Something that I would like to feature as a humanocentric story is the rebel-becomes-dictator plot. Unlike certain other characters in popular fiction, I would prefer to treat such a dictatorship with more complexity.

Overthrowing the previous regime is motivated by revenge and a desire for freedom. In doing so, however, the rebels commit the same kind of immortal acts as the previous regime would have. Ironically, the new regime is little different from the previous regime.

I do not want to treat either the old or the new regime as malicious idiots. Real humans are flawed and make bad decisions all the time, especially heads of state. Nobody is really evil, either; they just think they are the good guys and that their enemies are inhuman monsters. Humans are tribal and short-sighted.

Overthrowing the previous regime is, objectively, a moronic waste of resources that essentially betrayed humanity to the bugs for no gain and massive losses. The new regime basically shot themselves in the foot due to stupid human emotions. Even so, the new regime genuinely tries to fight off the bugs and protect mankind.

The moral of the story is that democracy is good and dictatorships are bad. There is no such thing as a benevolent dictatorship (except the bugs), because humans are flawed.

The Count of Monte Cristo
    The bugs are essentially a completely biologically version of the Borg from Star Trek. One of the upsides of being infested by the bugs is that your memories and personality are preserved forever within the hive mind. The hive mind is wired for empathy, so the bugs become sympathetic to those they consume and vice versa. The bugs are also the ultimate intelligence nightmare, because once they infest someone like a high-ranking black-ops agent, that agentís knowledge is immediately shared with all the swarms.

In practice, a number of swarms with the highest percentage of human souls consumed become obsessed with exacting vengeance upon the rebel groups who betrayed Earth and other planets to the bugs, and the remnants from the old regime who wanted to experiment on the bugs by sacrificing people, despite the fact that being infested is totally awesome (humans are emotional and tribal, not sane and rational). Prior to the bug wars this has little effect on their strategy since they intend to exterminate the entire human race anyway. During the bug wars, when the swarms lose the ability to coordinate, some of them prioritize revenge over conquest or survival.

Seeking revenge is irrational, petty and antithetical to their overall goal. The bugs know this, acknowledge it many times, but ultimately do not care. They acutely feel the pain of losing the human lives they could have had, or seeing loved ones slaughtered, yet they consider humanity pitiable and desire nothing more than to eat them. Losing the connection between all the swarms has affected their sanity. They seek revenge because they lost sight of the bigger picture and can no longer resist their base impulses.

Ultimately, human emotions are a mental illness. A contagious mental illness.

I do not want to treat either the old or the new regime as malicious idiots. Real humans are flawed and make bad decisions all the time, especially heads of state. Nobody is really evil, either; they just think they are the good guys and that their enemies are inhuman monsters. Humans are tribal and short-sighted.
    Would probably need to elaborate here on what the old and the new are. In SC, assuming you consider being egocentric evil, the confederacy was evil since their goal wasn't the betterment of mankind but the betterment of the elite. Are you sticking with that line or changing it?

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Would probably need to elaborate here on what the old and the new are. In SC, assuming you consider being egocentric evil, the confederacy was evil since their goal wasn't the betterment of mankind but the betterment of the elite. Are you sticking with that line or changing it?
    If they wanted the betterment of mankind, they would be democratic. Authoritarianism is inherently bad because it inevitably leads to the elite oppressing mankind.

I was thinking along the lines of portraying the individual characters as sympathetic even if their cause is unjust or becomes corrupt. Like in real life, everyone thinks they are the hero/victim.

Here is a Washington Post article explaining why authoritarianism stifles progress.

On another note, I have toyed with the idea of using the Holocene calendar rather than the Gregorian calendar. The Holocene calendar was originally intended to be more relevant and inclusive to humanity as a whole, but I think it would be easy for the authoritarian governments to rationalize this as making humanity seem more important. It was traditional for ancient philosopher-kings to make themselves seem more important by adopting the names of their predecessors and continuing the previous calendar (as in those days calendars measured the reign of a specific king), giving the impression of longevity. Additionally, humanity has made more progress in the last century than in the last hundred millennia. This could serve as a little joke when the space elves note with concern that humans have such a long history, when the elves themselves only recovered from the dark ages within a single elven lifetime (which is, IDK, 1000 human years?).

To add some more complexity to the human political situation, let's go back to the suggestions about robots and cyborgs. In addition to human models of government, we could also have nation-states run by robots and cyborgs. Similar to Stellaris' machine intelligence government, but allowing for civilizations that are not gestalt consciousness. Kromosome, Cyberpunk 2020's Deep Space supplement, Transhuman Space, Eclipse Phase are the few (RPG) examples I can think of cyberpunk space opera. I was thinking the machine governments would use Unix time.

"On another note, I have toyed with the idea of using the Holocene calendar rather than the Gregorian calendar."
    Join the club.