Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's brainstorm a Starcraft rip-off

Default Re: Let's brainstorm a Starcraft rip-off

Hey! We're sentient! You can't eat us! Besides, we have rat gangs, and you don't wanna mess with our rat gangs. They'll mess you up!

For the record, I imagine that my guys are in the 2-4 foot range.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Yes, because the humans that wear living insectoid/chitin armor and pump their guys full of grey goo to revive them on death are going to care about the morals of something sentient being food...

Note to self: Make disturbingly weird backstory where we actually get to this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Hm...I'm not sure about this. Mislag, you seem to have a specific vision that you want us to contribute to, while most of the other dudes' ideas are more about creating our own thing. Tbh, I don't think we necessarily need to rip off Starcraft. Any space-based, science fiction, male demographic story with competing races is really enough of a "rip-off" for me. We don't really need to take too many ideas from Blizz.
    Yes, I do have a specific vision. What was your first clue? I really like the original SC premise because it was just so elegant as far as excuse plots go. Blizz never went anywhere with it, so I really wanted to. That's why I made this thread. If you don't like it, then make a new thread for your completely original concept. Please don't steal my spotlight.

That said, I have quickly thought about twists on that premise which make one of the other two races the big bad. Basically, my premise is that one side is the big bad, fights another side, and the third is caught in the middle. With the bugs as the big bad, they are sieging the humans as a prerequisite to sieging the elves. With the humans as the big bad, they are trying to enslave the bugs and steal the elf tech. With the elves as the big bad, they are gardeners of the galaxy exterminating what they don't like: In this case, that would be the bugs and/or humans. And so on.

I have also rediscovered my appreciation for the Westwood games through perusal of OpenRA. I think it would be a great way to distinguish my SC plot rip-off from the BW engine. Once 2nd gen is supported, it will have stuff like psychic dominators and mirage tanks and chronospheres and tesla troopers (game mechanics cannot be copyrighted). Remember when the zerg were said to infest worlds? I thought a great way to represent that would be with dune2k sandworms, tiberium and tiberian sun wildlife. The idea is that the bugs use tiberium to xenoform worlds and gather resources; the other two races developed means to exploit this because the tiberium is so valuable despite its toxicity.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    Yes, because the humans that wear living insectoid/chitin armor and pump their guys full of grey goo to revive them on death are going to care about the morals of something sentient being food...

Note to self: Make disturbingly weird backstory where we actually get to this point...
    I am open to the idea of more than three armies. While my basic idea is to follow the SC formula with minor adjustments, additional armies would make sense for expansions or alternate histories.

Try making a list of your envisioned armies. Mine are cyberpunk humans, infection bugs, and space elves, as a point of reference. What are yours? This question is aimed at everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    That said, I have quickly thought about twists on that premise which make one of the other two races the big bad. Basically, my premise is that one side is the big bad, fights another side, and the third is caught in the middle. With the bugs as the big bad, they are sieging the humans as a prerequisite to sieging the elves. With the humans as the big bad, they are trying to enslave the bugs and steal the elf tech. With the elves as the big bad, they are gardeners of the galaxy exterminating what they don't like: In this case, that would be the bugs and/or humans. And so on.
    Since we're just ripping off Sc, why not come up with a different premise for the "bugs as the big bad". The bugs needing to siege the humans before sieging the elves limits things by preventing the bugs from interacting with the elves earlier, whereas the "humans as big bad" and "elves as big bad" premises are not constrained with prerequisites for interaction. Why not make the "elves" the ones "caught in the middle" this time?

Also, I'm also curious as to who would be the "third race caught in the middle" in the "elves as big bad" scenario. It would be interesting to see how one would incorporate the "bugs" as being "caught in the middle".
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Since we're just ripping off Sc, why not come up with a different premise for the "bugs as the big bad". The bugs needing to siege the humans before sieging the elves limits things by preventing the bugs from interacting with the elves earlier, whereas the "humans as big bad" and "elves as big bad" premises are not constrained with prerequisites for interaction. Why not make the "elves" the ones "caught in the middle" this time?

Also, I'm also curious as to who would be the "third race caught in the middle" in the "elves as big bad" scenario. It would be interesting to see how one would incorporate the "bugs" as being "caught in the middle".
    As in SC, The elves show up early to stop the bugs from eating the humans because they were monitoring the humans and discovered bug probes on the edge of their space. The extreme ends to which they go bring them in conflict with the humans. Also, this doesn't preclude the other two races from being villains of their own campaigns at the same time (e.g. the Enslavers and Insurrection arcs), but the overarching plot is that the bugs are the main villains. There isn't much you cannot tell against a wartime backdrop. And In alternate universe campaigns anything is possible.

Since I have settled on OpenRA to obfuscate the fact that this is a clone of SC, my options have been opened by the huge diversity of mechanics in the Westwood RTSes. Notably Spice/Tiberium, as I said before. That opens a lot of story potential even before the bugs show up. They seed worlds with it as a precursor to invasion, as opposed to the zerg's creep spores. Tiberium/spice slowly xenoforms the environment as it extracts resources from the crust. The humans and elves discovered and exploited it similar to C&C, long before they discovered its detrimental effects.

In contrast to SC, I haven't considered a khaydarin substitute. A minor plot I noticed in SC was that the manual stated Aiur knew the zerg were engineered by xel'naga because they were compatible with khaydarin, but most other species are not. Yet in the game itself they supposedly learn this from Zeratul's intel leak because the deep space probe plot point was seemingly forgotten. The bugs' xenoforming agent I suggested essentially fulfills a similar power source role without going into plot device territory. However, at this point I am open to writing differently, since harvesting space elf tech crystals for electronic warfare is a nice plot point.

On another note, I'm building up inspiration for the space elves to make them more. Biomechanoid aesthetic is the first thing, but another thing that occurred to me would be that their technobabble would draw from obsolete scientific theories like luminferous ether, universal solvent, orgones, magnetic fluid, alchemy and so forth.

The biomechanoid aesthetic is rather difficult to explain to those unfamiliar. Basically their tech appears to be biological, but incorporated impossible aspects of mechanical engineering like wheels and pistons. An example would be the upcoming video game Scorn, which has a whole world like this. This distinguishes them immediately from the fleshy bugs and the cybernetic humans.

So I went back and compiled the ideas you guys suggested so far, as well a few of my own:

• Miscellaneous
      • The “determinant” needs to be adequately explained, if not redefined
      • Hard scifi a la Heinlein or Asimov versus soft scifi with FTL travel?
      • Is the conflict a few years or a few centuries?
      • Alternate universes where one side is the aggressor against another with the third caught in the middle, adjusted for each combination
      • Neutral space rodents that excel fast production and repair; hired as mercenaries
      • my intended main theme is freedom versus control, based on SC and the works of Michael Moorcock, and represented by the races in various ways: e.g. human fascists versus independents and robot rights, elf theocrats versus heretics and pirates, bugs combine diversity and unity.

• Human fluff and strategy
      • Humans as a transhumanist technocracy with either powerhouse or horde tactics
      • Replace humans with another weaker alien race (e.g. Beta from Grey Goo)
      • Humans are the violent invaders
      • Corporations run colonies where humans are used as raw materials for labor, experiments, etc
      • Humans accidentally aided in the uplifting of another species, making them objects of worship
      • Humans are declining, so they arrange wars in order to free space for themselves
      • Humans utilize horrifying levels of bioengineering, similar to Mass Effect’s Collectors or SOMA’s structure gel monsters
      • humans live in cyberpunk dystopia. units include brainwashed criminals, cyborgs, mutants, robots, piloted mechs, cyborg mutant criminals, etc.

• Bug fluff and strategy
      • Bugs should rely on harder scifi, such as endless numbers, steel armor, huge monsters with spare organs, etc
      • Bugs rely on extreme horde tactics: e.g. orders of magnitude more units to compete, units are swarms of tiny insects, specialized structures produce specialized units, clone local fauna for cannon fodder, etc
      • bugs utilize a xenoforming agent similar to Dune's spice and C&C's tiberium

• Elf fluff and strategy
      • Psychic powers should be technology based
      • Elf power sources should be glossed: tiny batteries produce limitless power
      • Elves utilize subversive tactics, a la Heptacraft’s Nerazim
      • elf aesthetics are biomechanoid (w/o clear distinction between biological and technological), contrasted against human cyborg/robot and bug biotech
      • elf tech terminology draws from obsolete scientific theories like alchemy, ether, orgones, protoplasm, etc

This is slightly but not-really off-topic, given the transhumanist bent of the conversations; but I ran across this stuff below just today, reminding me of a comment Gradius made earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius
    Psionics. I guess as long as it's done with technology I'm happy. Didn't think that was possible to read surface thoughts though.
    Les Baugh, a modern bionic man.

The bionics industry is proliferating at an astounding rate; the company Open Bionics targets children and young adults specifically with their products. (Almost makes me want to lose an arm and become the Winter Soldier.)

Haptic feedback, bitches! This kind of system is even referred to in the short story The Fightin' SceeVees, where Pearly has modified his unit's SCVs with haptic feedback systems for improved performance.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Well, we can do a semi-hard sci-fi using apparent ftl such as alcubierre or transversible-wormhole system. Something that we think may be theoretically possible but still beyond current tech. Theoretically could have both as methods and use them differently per different races. Say the Humans (would should be scary voiceless biopunk monsters full of organic and nanotech, totally not biased here) use an alcubierre drive, the space elves use a wormhole system, and the bugs start with none but end up stealing ships from the others to access it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    Well, we can do a semi-hard sci-fi using apparent ftl such as alcubierre or transversible-wormhole system. Something that we think may be theoretically possible but still beyond current tech. Theoretically could have both as methods and use them differently per different races. Say the Humans (would should be scary voiceless biopunk monsters full of organic and nanotech, totally not biased here) use an alcubierre drive, the space elves use a wormhole system, and the bugs start with none but end up stealing ships from the others to access it.
    Not "semi." This is soft scifi pretending to be hard scifi. You might as well just copy the FTL mechanics from Stellaris: it has like four different kinds.

As far as FTL goes there are only ever going to be three basic types: warp drive (move FTL just because), jump drive (teleport from A to B), and hyperspace drive (enter another universe, re-emerge in our universe at your destination). Sometimes the drive is fitted into a ship, other times it is a gate ships travel through.

Your ideas sound cool and I would love to use them for army concepts. IDK, we can devise a half-dozen factions that can exist in any universe, but their precise interactions will vary by universe. Your universe about the biopunk humans being the main antagonists would be one, and mine would be the straight-up clone.

Speaking of which, I have spend some time on writing a preliminary timeline of events for my primary universe. Long story short, it is the Starcraft expanded universe made to fit the Enumerate timeline I adore so much. Details may vary, such as the bugs having Tiberium and being defeated by dark elf psychotropic drugs rather than dark elf space magic (which is also motivated by copyright protection), but that's the gist of it.