Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Own Campaign

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Your Own Campaign

Mass Effect style shooter, only you play as a Protoss and have access to insane abilities. The exploration aspect would be insanely cool in a universe like StarCraft. Maybe have it set in a post SC2 world where Protoss are allowed to visit terran planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    What characters, races, and worlds?
    Focusing on the small-scale is a given. It would use the backdrop of a galactic war between the three races started by the Zerg who are the big bads of the setting. It is more difficult to imagine what you can't explore. I could write an endless list of possible plots to explore.

• Zerg invade Terran world, Protoss fight Zerg on Terran world, Terrans defend themselves against Zerg and Protoss
    • Rebels rebel against Confederate tyranny
    • Confederacy experiments with Zerg
    • Nerazim assist Terran world in repelling Zerg invasion
    • Zerg invade Protoss world, Protoss fight Zerg invaders
    • Zerg invade Nerazim world, Nerazim fight Zerg invaders
    • Dominions unites KMC and Umoja as client states, but they secretly undermine its authority
    • Rebels rebel against Dominion tyranny
    • Terrans enslave Zerg, Protoss enslave Zerg, Nerazim enslave Zerg
    • Zerg fight brood wars
    • Protoss attack hive world, Zerg repel Protoss attack on hive world
    • Pirates try to steal goods
    • Protoss fight civil war between Terran sympathizers and genocidal Judicators
    • Protoss fight civil war between Khala and Void
    • Xava'kai/Taldarim plot the destruction of Protoss, Taldarim enslave Zerg
    • Overmind dies, Overmind resurrects, Swarm changes priorities
    • Protoss fight Terrans, Protoss ally with Terrans

The list goes on.

We've discussed Enumerate
    Really? Every single thread I created went off into a tangent about Tassadar versus Duke or Amon's plan because nobody was interested in discussing Enumerate. Which is strange, considering the other threads about rewriting SC independently came to the same conclusions.
    I think Starcraft needs rebooting. See "Enumerate" for details (links: timeline, full document, original forum thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Mass Effect style shooter, only you play as a Protoss and have access to insane abilities. The exploration aspect would be insanely cool in a universe like StarCraft. Maybe have it set in a post SC2 world where Protoss are allowed to visit terran planets.
    What kind of insane abilities are you thinking of? (Because I never got into the ME universe)

Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    Not sure I understand the Amon's comment.
    Amon basically Harbinger'd the Protoss, Moebius Foundation, and Zerg. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa
    Really? Every single thread I created went off into a tangent about Tassadar versus Duke or Amon's plan because nobody was interested in discussing Enumerate.
    Well, I've seen you discuss it.

Gradius, what about you? I always loved your mini-campaigns from the past.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

That's actually something I'm curious on, since I've seen his Subjection campaign, wondered why he chose the ME path this time

Um, I would do a second expansion set, which would go Zerg-'Toss-Terran, and would wrap up a lot of major arcs, like Kerrigan's and perhaps the hybrids. It would focus on human independence from Earth, Protoss reconstruction, and the Swarm's lack of leadership (losing both Kerri and now can no longer have an Overmind). It would be like Brood War, in that it expands the units, but really is more about finishing up the story than anything else (which was, quite frankly, the only aspect of Starcraft that really required a sequel).

Afterwards, Mengsk would still be in power, but we'd see more from other political leaders, like, we'd actually interact with Mengsk's rivals for Korhal, Umojan leaders, and Kel-Morian guild leaders. Kerrigan would be imprisoned and used in scientific experiments. Raynor would be cruising the stars, helping out people and generally sticking to less populated border worlds. He would only come out of his self-imposed exile to potentially negotiate with Protoss who have problems with other Terran factions, and he's gotta smooth things over (assuming he wants to). Artie-fo-farty is still a leader of minimal influence, primarily dealing with military stuff. Zeratul accepts that he isn't really a leader of large groups, and helps set up a civilian government for the Protoss.

All that stuff is more or less a setup for any smaller stories that will be told in the series. Stuff like SC:Ghost, that's more up close and personal with the Starcraft world.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Nissa, so essentially a campaign that would set up a grander background status quo, serving as backdrop for more personal stories; A sort of stasis or stalemate between major factions, similar to the one present in WarHammer 40K?

Nissa, so essentially a campaign that would set up a grander background status quo, serving as backdrop for more personal stories; A sort of stasis or stalemate between major factions, similar to the one present in WarHammer 40K?
    I'm not really familiar with Warhammer, but essentially that, yeah. A stasis is the single most logical thing for Starcraft to have. After all, the Protoss are going through tough times, the humans are losing any logical reason to fight them or follow Mengsk (or any singular-styled government), and the Zerg have a dearth of usable characters. They need to simmer down. By sidelining Kerrigan and denying an Overmind, the Zerg are more animallian and have to resort to casual survival. This keeps them from provoking crap in the K Sector, since they're the real reason that the 'Toss and the humans were even fighting in the first place. After all these wars, I can't imagine that the other two races much want to fight each other.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Gradius, what about you? I always loved your mini-campaigns from the past.
    Isn't it obvious? I'm going to make the first Enumerate campaign.

I've always liked campaigns where you play as the bad guy and just ones that explore cool concepts:
    1) Purifier campaign. Your heroes never die, and you lead a nigh-invincible army of the protoss' greatest warriors and cannon-fodder replicators. Your only limiting factor is resources.
    2) Ulrezaj campaign. Would be fun to have a unit as OP as him.
    3) Xel'Naga campaign. Very plausible given all the assets I made for Origins. I'd go into how they fight hostile aliens and defended themselves when the zerg and protoss turned on them.
    4) Amon campaign. Something SC2 sorely lacked.
    5) A hybrid survivor of the end war takes over a brood and plots his revenge.
    6) Your campaign of the Templar infused with void, khala and terrazine.

Otherwise, I'd try to tailor a terran campaign to be as dark and gritty as possible. All the characters would be bad people and everyone would just get constantly shat on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius
    Otherwise, I'd try to tailor a terran campaign to be as dark and gritty as possible. All the characters would be bad people and everyone would just get constantly shat on.
    So you'd G.R.R. Martin the shit out of that campaign.

1) Purifier campaign.
    I've been browsing through Mapster lately and I've been seeing a lot of projects seemingly fall into disuse. Even new projects are receiving next to no attention from the users. It makes me very sad to see fan-made material go unseen and uncared about. Which makes me question the use of creating something on par with CybrosX's maps. All that effort, and... where's the return? God I hope to see Antioch Chronicles 3 someday.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.