Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Own Campaign

Default Your Own Campaign

We've all got our gripes about StarCraft, BroodWar, and SCII. We've discussed Enumerate and various ways to fix the existing storyline, or scrap it entirely.

You've got an army of code-monkeys at your disposal, so you didn't have to worry about personally making the maps in the Galaxy Editor. Ignore its limitations. What sort of campaign would YOU make? Would it be a story-driven campaign? Various disconnected maps with exciting game mechanics, like the Marauder Series? Maybe a hands-off visual story like a Machinima? A first-person shooter? Would you expand on existing fan campaigns, like The Antioch Chronicles?

Would you fill in gaps in the original campaigns, or ignore them entirely?

What units would you create? What characters, races, and worlds?

All limitations aside, what sort of game and story would be your dream to make in the StarCraft universe?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Default Re: Your Own Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    We've all got our gripes about StarCraft, BroodWar, and SCII. We've discussed Enumerate and various ways to fix the existing storyline, or scrap it entirely.

You've got an army of code-monkeys at your disposal, so you didn't have to worry about personally making the maps in the Galaxy Editor. Ignore its limitations. What sort of campaign would YOU make? Would it be a story-driven campaign? Various disconnected maps with exciting game mechanics, like the Marauder Series? Maybe a hands-off visual story like a Machinima? A first-person shooter? Would you expand on existing fan campaigns, like The Antioch Chronicles?

Would you fill in gaps in the original campaigns, or ignore them entirely?

What units would you create? What characters, races, and worlds?

All limitations aside, what sort of game and story would be your dream to make in the StarCraft universe?
    I would consider throwing away the whole Spectres book and make a Tosh campaign. After all, he saw what a monster Mengsk was after the Battle of Shi, I'd hope to see how he would rebel against him

A clash of clan like starcraft mobile game

jk. There are lots of things I'd like with the universe. Hard to say which one I'd want the most. Probably a gritty story driven RPG/FPSorTPS hybrid with light strategy elements and drop-in/out coop that loosely follows vanilla story and allow you to play Terran or Protoss. I think that's the experience I crave the most at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rag
    I would consider throwing away the whole Spectres book and make a Tosh campaign. After all, he saw what a monster Mengsk was after the Battle of Shi, I'd hope to see how he would rebel against him
    Okay, how would you go about that? Would it be like a top-down RPG, or more classic strategy game?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    There are lots of things I'd like with the universe. Hard to say which one I'd want the most. Probably a gritty story driven RPG/FPSorTPS hybrid with light strategy elements and drop-in/out coop that loosely follows vanilla story and allow you to play Terran or Protoss.
    "RPG/FPS Hybrid"? Oh, you mean something like Mass Effect for StarCraft?
    Aaand sold.

"RPG/FPS Hybrid"? Oh, you mean something like Mass Effect for StarCraft?
    Yup, like Mass effect. That would be amazing. By light strategy element I don't mean squad tactics though. More like pre-mission allied force placement and macro orders or something like that; no actual unit control during gameplay apart from your dude. That's mostly just to spice it up and respect the IP origin.
    Last edited by sandwich_bird; 02-12-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Well, Amon's already Assumed Direct Control once, so why not? I tried to play StarCraft Universe when it was in open beta a few years back and I just couldn't get into it. Then again, MMOs like that have never been my favorite. I'd love to play through the Swarm's invasion of Tarsonis, watching Zerg and Protoss fight overhead while I battle through Zerg and terran deserters. That would be a badass end to a story act.
    Aaand sold.

I'll take a Rogue Squadron/TIE Fighter game in the SC universe. I would enjoy that.

Okay, how would you go about that? Would it be like a top-down RPG, or more classic strategy game?
    I'm thinking more RPG style. After all, Tosh would have to interact and likely do favors for people in order to gather allies to go against Mengsk. It'd also be harder because he doesn't have Raynor's reputation and all. For the whole bringing Nova into the mix, I'd probably let that rest for at least the first half of the campaign

This is a bit of a sidetrack but in terms of story, I've sometimes wondered what an adventure game using the Starcraft universe as the backbone would look like. Telltale are good at using other properties and crafting stories that can exist on their own/ not have to necessarily tie-in with the mainline canon.

I've kind of given up hope that any story would be interesting to tell through a strategy game these days.
    Last edited by Turalyon; 02-13-2018 at 12:35 AM.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I'll take a Rogue Squadron/TIE Fighter game in the SC universe. I would enjoy that.
    Yes!

I'd love to play through the Swarm's invasion of Tarsonis, watching Zerg and Protoss fight overhead while I battle through Zerg and terran deserters. That would be a badass end to a story act.
    Yes!

This is a bit of a sidetrack but in terms of story, I've sometimes wondered what an adventure game using the Starcraft universe as the backbone would look like.
    You kinda got a taste of it with the SC2 campaign. I'd be down for a full telltale game though assuming the story isn't stupid.

I've kind of given up hope that any story would be interesting to tell through a strategy game these days.
    How come? None of us would be here if it was impossible. Blizzard honestly does a great job at telling the story even if the writing is bad. It's hard to do but there are other good examples out there too.

Well, Amon's already Assumed Direct Control once, so why not? I tried to play StarCraft Universe when it was in open beta a few years back and I just couldn't get into it. Then again, MMOs like that have never been my favorite.
    Not sure I understand the Amon's comment.

SC:U was unfortunately limited by the engine. These limitation coupled with some overly and unnecessary complex systems(mostly talking about the ship stuff here) are what turned most people away I think. It's an amazing game otherwise even if I'm also not a fan of MMO's typical combat mechanics. The devs are really talented. You should give it another try, once you get passed the rough edges maybe you'll enjoy it. But yeah, it's the closest thing I currently can get to what I described earlier.