Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Writer's Block Exist?

Default Re: Does Writer's Block Exist?

Seems like "writers block" is a just a catch-all generic term for a writer who has an undisclosed mental or psychological reason (ie: motivational issues, perceived inadequacy etc) to not write.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Seems like "writers block" is a just a catch-all generic term for a writer who has an undisclosed mental or psychological reason (ie: motivational issues, perceived inadequacy etc) to not write.
    Those reasons can be petty and inexcusable. Some that I know feel they truly ran out of ideas when it came to writing and then claim writer's block.

I agree with you guy about the vague/questionable nature of writer's block, and you can certainly doubt its existence. I personally don't, on the simple basis that I've had it exactly once. But yeah, for the most part, "block" is just various excuses not to write.

However, on the writer's forum, we are not allowed to say this. If you do, your thread gets closed.

....Does anybody know of a writer's forum where you can disagree with someone without the threat of the ban cannon?

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I agree with you guy about the vague/questionable nature of writer's block, and you can certainly doubt its existence. I personally don't, on the simple basis that I've had it exactly once. But yeah, for the most part, "block" is just various excuses not to write.

However, on the writer's forum, we are not allowed to say this. If you do, your thread gets closed.
    How so? Not all the excuses can considered petty, some can be reasonable excuses.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Hilarious!

Economics and market analysis is my life. But sometimes I lose interest in it for months at a time. There's no internet lynch mob to make me feel better about being distracted, haha. I always come back better and more focused.

....Does anybody know of a writer's forum where you can disagree with someone without the threat of the ban cannon?
    Writers seem to be an overly sensitive, emotional bunch. I run into them on book discussion forums and they're basically as left-wing as the average journalist these days.

Depressing...

Maybe it's hard for people who spend their whole day trying to get into the emotions of fictional characters to control that same empathy without blowing it out of proportion for real life issues.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 01-14-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Writers seem to be an overly sensitive, emotional bunch. I run into them on book discussion forums and they're basically as left-wing as the average journalist these days.

Depressing...

Maybe it's hard for people who spend their whole day trying to get into the emotions of fictional characters to control that same empathy without blowing it out of proportion for real life issues.
    This is unfortunately super correct. One girl who was beta-ing my story complained that I used the word "female" because it's demeaning to some, and even posted a link explaining why. Note that I used the term to describe the disembodied voice of a being that doesn't really exist. Also, there was a thread on this same forums complaining that it's "sexist" for a male character to help a disgruntled housemaid and thus get information about a scam he's trying to run as she complains about her job. Apparently that's a "sexist stereotype." For some reason I bothered to point out that this isn't actually sexist, and men are just as capable of saying things they shouldn't when disgruntled. People weren't happy about that.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

"Writers seem to be an overly sensitive, emotional bunch. I run into them on book discussion forums and they're basically as left-wing as the average journalist these days."
    Eh, I don't think that's exclusive to the "left" I think that's a snowflake bitch thing in general of which there are far too many of nowadays.