Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft: Legacy's history

Enkidu's Avatar Junior Member

Post StarCraft: Legacy's history

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask a good question. What was the history of this website like back in its conception? What happened back then and there, famous forummers, huge fights, etc?

I wanted to ask this question because I was curious and it sounded like a good topic at the time. Also, I didn't find anything about the site's history when I looked it up so... There.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: StarCraft: Legacy's history

It's pretty similar to this:

Huh I can tell you some stuff I remember but note that some of the details(like dates) may not be 100% accurate:

First thing you need to know is that sclegacy used to be part of a network with other sites such as blizzforums(check here: http://archive.is/blizzforums.com). Sclegacy didn't have it's own forum until later(as far as I remember?). I'm not really sure when it started but I think I joined in 2002 so it at least existed from that year on. Blizzforums was the forum and it had its own starcraft section. Sclegacy at the time was more of a news/article/interview site which linked to blizzforums for discussions. Of note here was that blizzforums had a strong community of sc lore lovers. Over the years, the blizzforums grew a lot; it was probably one of the biggest blizzard fan site out there. A few year before SC2 release date(in 2006 I think?), Blizzforums and sclegacy split up and scl became an independent entity with its own forums. A lot of the people joined from blizzforums(Gradius, VoK and I did). Apart from the former blizzforums members, the community fed on the hype of SC2 and attracted a lot of new members. This was around the years that facebook, myspace and etc came out so forums were starting their slow descent into irrelevancy just as the centralization of the internet was picking up. SC2 was keeping scl alive though. In fact, the forum activity was now surpassing the old blizzforums. Ironically enough, many(including me) thought that scl wouldn't survive on its own after the split. But it did, and continued on for a while even after SC2 release. It was around that time that I got the Moderator position (2010 ish). Of course, SC2 turned out to be a disappointment lore wise and since scl was more focused on the lore than other aspect of the franchise(esport was covered by teamliquid, map making by sc2mapster) well... the community started to die. Some people joined or came back before HotS release but that didn't last long. LotV didn't really do much in that regard. Which brings us to today, where the community is made of <20 regulars that lurk and post every now and then; probably slaves to the habit of coming here they formed over the years

As for big feuds, most of that happened at blizzforums. Things were smoother over here. Eco(who's name was originally dustinbrowder) and demolitionSquid clashed multiple times over the years but that was pretty much it. We also had this guy called spychi(another former blizzforumer) who trolled a lot... These days, you have kaiserStratos with his signature sc hate and Ragnarok who always fall for it.

How's that for a history lesson?

Oh man, Blizzforums. Alas, my heart. We had such stupid threads over there. There was a whole thread on whether or not Protoss women have boobs, Starcraft's religion thread, the Pie Wars, I was a terrible mod for a little bit, and all so much hope for the franchise that was so horridly crushed by SC2.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

You were a mod? Haha. I never knew that.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Of course, SC2 turned out to be a disappointment lore wise and since scl was more focused on the lore than other aspect of the franchise(esport was covered by teamliquid, map making by sc2mapster) well... the community started to die.
    Given the creativity of our remaining membership, I wonder if it's possible to forge closer ties with Mapster. I know a few of you guys are members over there. I joined them a while ago in the hopes of furthering a campaign idea of mine, but seriously dislike the Galaxy Editor and making models in 3DS Max. Now, if I could create them in Maya and port them somehow...
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Oh man, Blizzforums. Alas, my heart. We had such stupid threads over there. There was a whole thread on whether or not Protoss women have boobs, Starcraft's religion thread, the Pie Wars, I was a terrible mod for a little bit, and all so much hope for the franchise that was so horridly crushed by SC2.
    Sounds like fun. Everyone was so creative and full of life before being infested by the TWISTED WILES OF SC2's HACK WRITERS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    You were a mod? Haha. I never knew that.
    I don't remember that either; was your name Nissa back then too? I vaguely remember a girl mod but man, it's been so long.

I miss the place... Sad that it has been taken down. Would love to go read back all the old stuff.

Given the creativity of our remaining membership, I wonder if it's possible to forge closer ties with Mapster. I know a few of you guys are members over there. I joined them a while ago in the hopes of furthering a campaign idea of mine, but seriously dislike the Galaxy Editor and making models in 3DS Max. Now, if I could create them in Maya and port them somehow...
    The idea of making a custom fan game in unity was briefly mentioned by Robear a while back. I mean, he already has made tons of amazing models. If there is interest in this, you and him could make models and I could program. It is possible to recruit some other people too. If the aim is to tell a story, the gameplay would have to be smaller in scope though. Something like a point and click adventure game or a chose your own adventure animated novel would be reasonable. Even a very simplistic RPG could work. If story is not a priority though, then looking at Robear's models, a starcraft battlefield would be sick!

So you'd be scripting or doing triggers, when you say "programming?"

I have some story and plot ideas, but then, so does everyone.

And whatever happened to Sarov?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

I remember Nissa being a mod. Us SC lore addicts didn't normally venture to the general forums though.

Sarov disappeared off the face of the earth. Though I saw hamshank post here a few months ago.