Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

Default Re: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

How would this be a problem? The Overmind is vulnerable to Void powers, so any DT could do the job really. Having Z trade with Tass in the sacrifice role would need some tweaking in that Z would probably be doing it in a less flashy way than what Tassadar did but I think it'd work. Maybe it could be rewritten as Z not doing it as a knowing sacrifice but as a means to gather some more info by interfacing directly with the Overmind one more time but is then subsequently killed by all the Zerg going haywire from the killing blow.
    Well it wouldn't work if Z just leeroyed on the overmind with his voide blade. Presumably he would have had to also crash a ship on the Overmind or do something similar. So was he piloting the Gant? Did he have his own ship? What about the fact that tass combined both psi and void energies together? Was that mandatory to kill the overmind or was that just overkill cause it sounds cool?

Default Re: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

What about the fact that tass combined both psi and void energies together?
    I also saw it as Tassadar forming a massive Archon with the Gantrithor's mass, and plunging it straight into the Overmind.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Well it wouldn't work if Z just leeroyed on the overmind with his voide blade. Presumably he would have had to also crash a ship on the Overmind or do something similar. So was he piloting the Gant? Did he have his own ship? What about the fact that tass combined both psi and void energies together? Was that mandatory to kill the overmind or was that just overkill cause it sounds cool?
    The Overmind itself states that the DT radiate energies similar to its own and that it is by this, they have caused it harm. There's nothing to say that the Overmind itself can only be harmed by twilight/combined energies. Besides, Tass himself only comments about channeling DT energy around the Gantrithors hull, which means that DT energy is more than enough on its own. Given the size of the Overmind, I supposed a ship maybe needed but it doesn't necessarily have to be the Gantrithor. Hmmm, when I think about it too much, there's some fridge logic as to why Tass even feels the need to sacrifice himself at all. It's probably got to do with gameplay-segregation though since whilst you've steamrolled the Overmind gameplay-wise, the speech that Tass gives about sustaining heavy damage and needing to sacrifice himself to end the Overmind is quite a bit at odds with that.

Also, why won't it work with just a void blade (or void powers in general)? Z's void blade seemed to be enough to end the neo-Overmind in BW. And yes, I know the irony in that Enumerate is supposed to ignore most of actual BW, making me refer to it as evidence kinda moot but what the hey!
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Zoar's Avatar Junior Member

I always interpreted the final cutscene in Starcraft as Tassadar converting his entire being and the Gatrithor into psi and void energy just to have enough to annihilate the Overmind.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    I personally like the idea of Tassadar being the de-facto leader of the Protoss later on, perhaps slowly getting them out of their state of total failure.
    As much as I like that in a way, Tassadar was a hot-head, and quite frankly is liable to get the Protoss in trouble. Remember his reaction to Duke? As a leader, Tassadar is to avoid getting his followers into unnecessary trouble. He could have responded a lot more politely to Duke and not get his guys in trouble. Likewise, his rude behavior towards Aldaris, while perhaps was deserved, gets in the way of making Aldaris and other Judicator understanding why Tass did what he did. In other words, Tass has a real problem dealing with people who don't agree with him.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    As much as I like that in a way, Tassadar was a hot-head, and quite frankly is liable to get the Protoss in trouble. Remember his reaction to Duke? As a leader, Tassadar is to avoid getting his followers into unnecessary trouble. He could have responded a lot more politely to Duke and not get his guys in trouble. Likewise, his rude behavior towards Aldaris, while perhaps was deserved, gets in the way of making Aldaris and other Judicator understanding why Tass did what he did. In other words, Tass has a real problem dealing with people who don't agree with him.
    Perhaps, but Zeratul is too naive and got the Protoss into just as much trouble, I feel that Tassadar's somewhat Haughty attitude while a detriment isn't nearly as problematic as Zeratul's naivete', perhaps some rude behavior is what the Protoss needed in Broodwar.

I think both sides are equally bad. Tass is a hot-head, and needs cooler minds (Fenix, Zeratul, Raynor) to pull him back down. Zeratul's problem (and recall that he wasn't the de-facto leader of the Protoss at any point) is that he's a huge introvert and used to leadership at a very small scale. Like, he could be a really great leader of a small band of highly trained DTs accomplishing a very small-scale, specific goal, like destroying a cerebrate or rescuing Tassadar. Once you broaden those goals and make Zeratul responsible for a large number of not highly trained civilians, he flounders. Zeratul is a detail-intense person, one who easily gets overwhelmed by decision-making, as indicated by his dependence on Tassadar in SC, and his dependence on Raszagal in BW (she was the one who told him to destroy the second Overmind, for example, and he went after Aldaris on her orders, despite him feeling weird about it).

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Tassadar isn’t a hot head. He knew Duke wouldn’t back down and that threatening him was his only option. Aldaris was being an imbecile that was actively helping doom the Protoss race and the patience Tassadar showed still bordered on saint-like.

Tassadar isn’t a hot head. He knew Duke wouldn’t back down and that threatening him was his only option. Aldaris was being an imbecile that was actively helping doom the Protoss race and the patience Tassadar showed still bordered on saint-like.
    It doesn't help that, in the deleted mission Biting The Bullet, Tassadar worked alongside and saved much of the Sons of Korhal. For Duke to then turn around and attack Tassadar would be especially infuriating and insulting. So I'd think Tassadar was within his arrogant Protoss rights to burn Duke. Besides, I don't think there was much left of Duke's forces on Char, after Kerrigan had her way with them.

Speaking of that mission, do we know if is it canon?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    It doesn't help that, in the deleted mission Biting The Bullet, Tassadar worked alongside and saved much of the Sons of Korhal. For Duke to then turn around and attack Tassadar would be especially infuriating and insulting. So I'd think Tassadar was within his arrogant Protoss rights to burn Duke. Besides, I don't think there was much left of Duke's forces on Char, after Kerrigan had her way with them.

Speaking of that mission, do we know if is it canon?
    I doubt it but I thought Libertys Crusade still novelized part of it? At the least, Tassadar showing Duke mercy earlier is pretty legit.