Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

Default Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

Hey everybody! I came back and decided to start over. So last I was around I said that I did not like the direction the Starcraft story went after Episode 1 and linked to a soft reboot in my signature. Nobody can be bothered to read a ten-page timeline, so I will skip straight to the cliffnotes and discussion.

Enumerate is an alternate timeline/universe which makes a few big changes to the plot of Starcraft. It still uses the same overall arc of SC, like the great war and brood war (but still ignores the SC2 retcons entirely). Short version: no QoB, no Duran, no UED, and Zera dies instead of Tass.

Longer version: EN presumes that Kerry dies on Tarsonis (well it actually ignores her existence entirely, but I don’t care about facts), and that in her place the Zerg capture countless psychics and experiment on them to create horrible monsters. Some of these creatures, like the co… co… I cannot pronounce it so I will just call them psi-colonies and mega-minds. They are made by physically fusing people together. Anyway, the psi-colonies and mega-minds may exert control over other Zerg, mimicking overlords and cerebrates, respectively; the psi-colonies can network with one another to control a whole brood. They produce psychic signals that attract the Protoss, kickstarting the invasion when Zeratul leaks military intel (previously the Zerg were operating on intel from before the Aeon of Strife and whatever their probes on the edge of Protoss space could find). When the Overmind dies, they compete with the cerebrates for control of the swarms until he is resurrected.

EN excises the Duran and hybrid plotline, since that’s already the goal of the Zerg. I mean, I have no problem introducing SC2 queens and SC2 hybrids as useful failures, but the fluff behind the Zerg’s desire to assimilate the Protoss is their belief it will make them perfect so they can conquer and remake the universe in their image. They do have a basis in fact, since the Protoss have amazing reality warping power (which is itself a pale shadow of their peak during the First Age; EN uses their original fluff as a young empire still piggybacking on the reverse-engineered tech of their ancestors, not the washed out and dying race they are in SC2) and they can become archons which are basically sapient nuclear fusion reactors with reality-warping power. If the hybrids are just disposable cannon fodder as they were in SC2, then the Zerg plot becomes utterly disappointing IMO.

EN recycles the UED plot, but replaces the UED with the Umojans and KMC that already existed before BW. They join the Dominion and devise weapons to fight the Zerg, who have left broods in Koprulu to wipe out the remaining humans. In addition to bioweapons and anti-psychic weapons, the Terrans also try to enslave Zerg broods, achieving the most success after the death of the Overmind renders the brood vulnerable (the Khalaites do the same thing with khaydarin, and the Nerazim with argus crystals). The Umojans are democratic republicans, so they secretly fund rebels against the Dominion like Raynor. Eventually they use enslaved broods to fight an open war, but the ethical issues make this unpopular.

Lastly, EN decides to have Zeratul sacrifice himself to kill the Overmind rather than Tassadar. I think this has some poetry to it: Zeratul makes up for kickstarting the invasion, and Tassadar lives to teach other Protoss the path of the twilight Templar. I think it all works out in the end.

So feel free to discuss EN in this thread. If you want more details you can read the links I provided in my sig, but I like to play fast and loose with the details.

Currently I am writing the scripts for two short campaigns set in the EN chronology, which will be made in SCMdraft for Remastered.
    I think Starcraft needs rebooting. See "Enumerate" for details (links: timeline, full document, original forum thread).

Default Re: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

Well, you're certainly not the first to announce your departure but eventually come back

I'm curious as to how exactly does Zeratul kill the overmind? Seem like you'll have to retcon even more stuff in vanilla to make this work.

Default Re: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

Like I said in the original thread, I like this quite a bit, keep working on it, you've got some good stuff here.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Agreed. It looks good.

Interesting. If it every turns into a story, I'll read it, but for the moment it's a bit too generic to critique.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

I'm not sure I like Zeratul and Tassadar trading places. Tassadar's character arc is closed out in The Fall pretty satisfactorily. I also feel that Zeratul should have felt more blowback from his role in the Zerg invasion than he did in SCII. Having him sacrifice himself to kill the Overmind feels too "neat and tidy;" he'd too easily find redemption, rather than having to feel the consequences of his actions. I always imagined there would be a warrant for his arrest.

But how do you arrest someone for having his mind read by the Overmind? Probably nobody had a clue that was even possible, and given that the Overmind wanted to find Aiur, he probably would have found someone sooner or later to figure out where Aiur is.

Unless Enumerate changes how that happened, of course.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Sorry, I think I was subconsciously considering his murder of Raszagal too. I just always figured Zeratul would have been met with more blow back.

I personally like the idea of Tassadar being the de-facto leader of the Protoss later on, perhaps slowly getting them out of their state of total failure.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    I'm curious as to how exactly does Zeratul kill the overmind? Seem like you'll have to retcon even more stuff in vanilla to make this work.
    How would this be a problem? The Overmind is vulnerable to Void powers, so any DT could do the job really. Having Z trade with Tass in the sacrifice role would need some tweaking in that Z would probably be doing it in a less flashy way than what Tassadar did but I think it'd work. Maybe it could be rewritten as Z not doing it as a knowing sacrifice but as a means to gather some more info by interfacing directly with the Overmind one more time but is then subsequently killed by all the Zerg going haywire from the killing blow.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.