Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

Default Re: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    But Duke isn't in his way.
    I know, that's why I threw out the question of whether Tass can really be considered really a hot-head if he never encountered or entered Duke's perceived "Terran space". Maybe Tass just was intending to pass on through and let the Terrans be, but then Duke piped up with a threat. And just like Duke eventually ending up assuming Tass's reply was "a hostile response", Tass probably thought the same of Dukes warning initially. Probably just a common misunderstanding of intent on both sides.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Lets discuss Enumerate? (tl;dr AU w/o Kerry, UED, Duran; Zera dies, Tass lives)

But Duke isn't in his way. In fact, given that there are human soldiers in the facility where Zeratul is, then possibly Duke is either trying to save them (in which cooperation is possible) or trying to flee what he thinks is an unwinnable situation (in which he is more interested in getting away than bothering with Tass).
    If any of those were the case he wouldn’t be issuing ultimatums or sending a fleet to attack them. Tassadar had more information than the player about what was happening and reacted accordingly. Duke is also an a-hole so I’m inclined to believe Tassadar.

The EN chronology does not include the circumstances that lead to Duke and Raynor coming into contact with Tassadar. So they end up staying in the core worlds and continue doing what they were planning to. In Duke's case that means fighting the Zerg left behind to exterminate humanity. In Raynor's case that means rebelling against Arcturus' dictatorship.

We could also bring in characters from other campaigns and stories. Most of the EU stories can be placed within the EN chronology with a minimum of changes.

For example, Executor Andraxxus and Jack Frost from Insurrection. The Brontes system was lost to the Zerg, but there is no reason that Andraxxus could not have used teleportation to evacuate the 7th Fleet and the New Dresdin Outlaws when it became clear they could not stop the Zerg and fake their deaths in battle using hallucinations to buy time. There is Syndrea's fate to consider, since her last known whereabouts were as a Zerg prisoner.

If we consider custom campaigns, more options open. For example, the "Corrupted Templar" from the Proditor campaign are still running around, although they are rumored to have joined Ulrezaj's xava'kai/taldarim. The custom campaign Enslavers Redux purports to continue the adventures of the Mar Sara Colonial Magistrate, who was captured by the Dominion and forced into service; he comes into conflict with Ulrezaj and Schezar.

EDIT: Another thing which I forgot to bring up was that the protoss had ethnic skin tones in SC1, as stated in the manual (emphasis mine).
    Quote Originally Posted by Starcraft Manual p89
    Although the Khala has called upon the Protoss to forsake their ancient Tribal society and embrace the new castes of Judicator, Templar and Khalai, many still cling to the fleeting customs and trappings of the old ways. The various Tribes remain intact only to remind the Protoss of the follies of their past. With the ascension of the Judicator as the ruling caste above all Protoss, the old dilemma of Tribal separatism no longer threatens the greater society. The most distinguishable aspect of the Tribes is that each sect of Protoss has its own unique skin shades ranging from mottled grey to a dark, aphotic blue.
    Canonically, you can tell what tribe a Protoss is from by their skin color. SC2 threw this away, but we can easily ignore that and bring back protoss of color. For simplicity's sake I will assume the "tribal color" applies to both the SC1 game unit color and the ethnic skin color (as seen in the unit portrait). For example, the Akilae Templar have green skin as seen in the zealot, the Shelak Judicator have white skin as seen in the arbiter, and the Venatir Templar have brown skin as seen in the scout. (I suspect the original team was operating from this assumption.)
    Last edited by Mislagnissa; 01-16-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    I think Starcraft needs rebooting. See "Enumerate" for details (links: timeline, full document, original forum thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    I know, that's why I threw out the question of whether Tass can really be considered really a hot-head if he never encountered or entered Duke's perceived "Terran space". Maybe Tass just was intending to pass on through and let the Terrans be, but then Duke piped up with a threat. And just like Duke eventually ending up assuming Tass's reply was "a hostile response", Tass probably thought the same of Dukes warning initially. Probably just a common misunderstanding of intent on both sides.
    Tass wasn't a hothead because he approached Duke. He was a hothead because a completely rational response from Duke made him snap irrationally at someone he didn't need to get into a conflict with.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Tass wasn't a hothead because he approached Duke. He was a hothead because a completely rational response from Duke made him snap irrationally at someone he didn't need to get into a conflict with.
    Tassadar claims to "know" Duke well (probably from Raynor's experiences with him) and was just responding in kind. Duke, under a veneer of civility/"Southern sensibility", was really threatening to attack if they didn't leave whilst Tassadar, cutting the bullshit, responded with a threat in unveiled terms that he'd destroy them if Duke proceeded to halt them.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

So I found a number of custom campaigns that make more sense within EN than canon.

A relatively common conceit is a planet or fleet of independent protoss. Essentially Taldarim, of any iteration, before it became fashionable. Custom campaigns have added "isolated" Protoss planets or fleets like Ahman-ro, Artia, Idu'ran, Kharnikha, etc. These really do make more sense with the interstellar protoss empire.

Frontier Terran terran worlds or isolated independent governments are just as (or more) common.

Another plot common to SC1 maps are the cerebrates surviving indefinitely and either assisting or rebelling against QoB. Some have new cerebrates created willy nilly without the Overmind. A few have Zerg just showing up out of nowhere: the "Ignos" SC2 campaign (which takes place at an unspecified point when Nerazim are fighting alongside Firstborn) inexplicably has primal zerg on a random planet in protoss space.

I am compiling a list of existing custom campaigns that could easily fit into the EN chronology. Hopefully I will be finished within the near future.