Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Starcraft reboot ideas discussion thread

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

I think the thing we've got to remember too, is that the old Blizzard didn't just pump out games even if it had the potential to make money. Remember WarCraft Adventure and StarCraft Ghost? I'm sure those would've made money. Problem even been good games. But, Blizzard doesn't release a game unless it lives up to the Blizzard name. Which means it has to be the best in this genre. Activion will just pump out shit if it makes money and the shitstorm doesn't effect the bottom line.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I'm pretty heartbroken about Blizzard. I've been obsessed with Starcraft for a long time, and it was the primary reason I got into writing. The writing, spending my awkward teen years on Starcraft forums, the dumb inside jokes....*sigh* I wish I had written a better journal of those times.

What makes it worse is knowing that SC2 killed the fandom. Honestly, if they had just ignored Starcraft forever, things would be fine. There would still be happy fans with their theories, maps, and fanfiction. Leaving the future of the franchise in our collective imaginations would have been better than pumping out an imagination-killing sequel.

As for Diablo, well, the problem was always Blizzard's current marketing philosophies. No Blizz franchise is free from it.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Geez, now there's rumours that there was going to be a D4 tease at Blizzcon but was pulled. Obviously, Blizz has denied this. Fun times for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Honestly, if they had just ignored Starcraft forever, things would be fine. There would still be happy fans with their theories, maps, and fanfiction. Leaving the future of the franchise in our collective imaginations would have been better than pumping out an imagination-killing sequel.
    Nah, it wouldn't have been fine to most fans since people were wanting a sequel for a long time. On a practical level, SC1 was always going to get a sequel eventually since it did well the first time and was a solid business decision.

I'm probably one of the rare few who never really wanted a sequel/was happy for it to have no sequel at the time. I always knew that any sequel that would arise would be afflicted by sequelitis and that there was nowhere else it could really go thematically and narratively beyond pandering to fan desires to see certain characters and loose-ends addressed. Course, it doesn't mean I didn't still hope it'd not be any of these things but alas...
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Things wouldn't have been fine. The overall fan base would've died much sooner. That's even before you get into the void that no StarCraft 2 melee would've left. I can live without StarCraft's story, I can live with a shitty Diablo entry. I cannot 'live' without more StarCraft melee.

As for the rest, getting stuck complaining again. So I deleted it and move on. 12 Step program XD
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 11-06-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Haha, no, y'all, I mean it. There were lots of amazing fan things that got killed off by SC2. I was working on a mod with a bunch of people, mapmakers were working hard on SC1 maps, and the Starcraft section in fanfiction.net was actually doing pretty okay. We all got curbstomped by SC2. The mod gave up, mapmakers hoped for better things and failed to get any in SC2, and fanfiction.net, when it bothered updating, did a bunch of Kerrigan romance melodrama and mediocre OC pandering. We were happier then when SC2 could be anything we wanted it to be. I mean, yeah, of course they were going to create a sequel for business reasons, and eventually steam would have run out without a sequel, but the fact of the matter is, the fandom was doing alright before SC2 came out. Even ten years after release. Everything paused after the announcement for SC2, as we all waited for the mapmaking/storytelling potential of the sequel. Aaand then when nothing was really improved, we couldn't go back. There was nothing to go back to.

I'm not saying I didn't want a sequel. I'm just saying that no sequel is better than the one we got. *shrugs*

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Aaand then when nothing was really improved, we couldn't go back. There was nothing to go back to.
    Why not? Just ignore Sc2. Sc1 is still there.

To be entirely honest, Starcraft was always mediocre at best. The manual was tropey as hell. The games were worse, sure, but a storm of cliches was never a high bar.

I was arguing recently with a bunch of people over how I thought Starcraft should be rebooted and it went about terrible as you would expect. The only sane responses I got were from a few people who dismissed Starcraft as schlock, while everyone else talked crazy about how Starcraft is synonymous with Kerry and generally were oblivious to bad writing.

I have put my rewrite ideas on the backburner indefinitely after finally reaching my limit for this treatment. I am sick and bitter of all the Kerry fans and I just want the fandom to mellow out and become receptive to a setting without Kerry, UED, Duran or any other silly and unnecessary ideas. I want to focus on the three-way conflict and the faction conflict. That’s all.

Sure, the manual is mediocre (which by video game standards is high art), but it has a few interesting original ideas that have never been explored before like the good old boys in space and the brain bugs’ familial dynamics.

Maybe in another decade people will stop putting Kerry on a pedestal and finally be receptive to my suggestions.

I doubt it.

I am probably better off just writing a rip off with the ideas I liked. I don’t even care about a potential plagiarism lawsuit anymore given how Blizzard doesn’t give a damn about story, I’ll pilfer the lore for anything and everything and invoke Warhammer as an excuse.

If anybody wants to hear my ideas for the ripoff then let me know and I will try to post some more detailed fluff and such.

Blizzard is planning and developing mobile titles across ALL IPs. You thought SC2 was bad? Wait till you see Clash of Starcraft

^ Lies!! They're definitely outsourcing instead of planning and developing those themselves. Think of all that money to be made going that way.

Wow, and here I thought one day I'd be playing Blizzard games with my children. I've thought that since I was a kid. I guess I won't even be playing myself soon. Oh well, there's so much else going on in the world, thankfully.

This is my favorite reaction so far, from basically the Diablo III HuskySC or Day9. To put into context, he loved Diablo III. How does he feel about Diablo Immortal? Basically, he feels that he's been fired from his job at his channel and his lively hood has been threatened. How do "gaming journalists" respond? Fans are "entitled misogynists" who don't like it because its' from a female-dominated platform and Diablo Immortal "probably won't be THAT bad".

At least, it's fun watching the world burn.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 11-08-2018 at 08:42 AM.