Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Starcraft reboot ideas discussion thread

Default Re: Shooting the breeze with reboot ideas

I still need to look at Retribution, never really thought much of it from what others had told me

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    I still need to look at Retribution, never really thought much of it from what others had told me
    The plot is nothing special and follows the conventions of old school RTS titles in which the briefings were just an exposition fairy telling you where and what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    The plot is nothing special and follows the conventions of old school RTS titles in which the briefings were just an exposition fairy telling you where and what to do.
    Figures. I won't be needing it for my fic idea then

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Figures. I won't be needing it for my fic idea then
    There is no reason why it could not be adapted into a detailed story with characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    There is no reason why it could not be adapted into a detailed story with characters.
    Maybe for you, I won't need it.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

So... yeah... Diablo Immortal .... Absolutely DONE with Blizzard .... Not even going to waste time bitching about it ... Just ... Gone ...

(Shouldn't go in this topic but whatever)

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Lol, gone like interest in these forums, eh?

I've never been much interested in Diablo. What's the short of Immortal's problems?

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

It's a mobile game only. It's not made directly by Blizz and not what everyone was expecting/hoping it to be.

Ever since D3 was released, everyone has seen the Diablo franchise as a sellout from Blizz and how it largely represents how out-of-tune they are with what the fans want from the franchise. Nobody wanted the auction house, nobody wanted the console port and now, nobody wants the mobile knock-off prequel thing that's coming out. The franchise has pretty much lost it's soul (pun intended) in more ways than one.

It's funny in a way because Diablo was not actually created by "Blizzard proper" in the first place. It was created by a group originally called Condor that was then acquired and renamed Blizzard North before they made D1. They had full autonomy from Blizzard proper in the development of Diablo games at that point in time. Later on, they were also in the midst of creating their version of D3 when Blizzard proper shut it (and eventually Blizz North altogether) down because their partners, Vivendi (the major stakeholder of the two and which would eventually lead them to become Activision Blizzard) didn't like the direction of it and people were leaving Blizz North to do their own things (which was only partly coincidental...). This led "Blizzard proper" to eventually create their own version of D3 (the one we have now), which is ostensibly the first Diablo game Blizzard proper has ever created. What with all the furor about what didn't work in the initial release of D3, it became clear that Blizz proper had no real grasp on what the appeal of the Diablo franchise had to its fans in the first place - which is explainable in part because they only co-opted the franchise in the first place.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

What's the short of Immortal's problems?
    For me, it's basically Blizzard just doubling down on a failed philosophy that the core fan base has almost universally disapproved. Market signals could not be any more clear about this but they just seem to be too stubborn to admit it. I had thought maybe Diablo 3 failed hard enough they would go back to their roots (or at least the drawing board) ...

I've heard rumors that (if Blizzard hadn't removed the video at least once) the announcement video would be the lowest like/dislike ratio for a game announcement on YouTube, dethroning Battlefield V and Advanced Warfare. Blizzard's so tone deaf now they're competing with Ubisoft and EA for levels of failure. Then, again, they are basically Activision now ...

but no ...

Again, not going to complain ... Just done ...

Just went to check on the current like bar status and it's like 100k less than when I saw it earlier today. Blizzard's gone so far as to manipulate the like bar. And I hear they're removing negative comments now. No wonder Mike Morhaime left. Blizzard is dead.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 11-03-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Lol, gone like interest in these forums, eh?

I've never been much interested in Diablo. What's the short of Immortal's problems?
    Blizzard's dead, forum's dead, gg.

Problem with the new Diablo is that it's a mobile game which means it's going to be a dumb F2P cash grab. Other problem is that it looks like a re-skin of other games made by the developer(Blizzard is outsourcing to Netease, a crappy Chinese studio...). Not only does it looks like a re-skin but it also looks like it was pulled together with Diablo 3 assets. Worst of all imo, the dark atmosphere of Diablo 1-2 is truly gone. Go lookup the CG trailer of Diablo 2 then check the cg trailer of Immortal.. Diablo was dark but under Blizzard 2.0, it's just another generic over the top action fantasy. They didn't learn anything from d3. Even if they make a Diablo 4, the spirit is gone so it's likely to be generic. I'd rather just play Dark Souls for my dark fantasy fix.

Also, seems like I'm the only one but I'm not happy with the look of the Warcraft 3 remastered... It blows my mind that they would now use a photo-realistic art style with de-saturated colors and etc for the Warcraft universe. I hope the irony isn't lost on anyone here... Worst is that they can't even stay consistent with it. On one part, you have these new (admittedly nice looking) photo-realistic models but then you put them on neon green grass with buildings and bridges that have fisher-price proportions. Do they even have an art director anymore!? It should be one style or the other, not a disgusting mash of both at the same time. I've seen better fan projects.

Oh well. There's other stuff to play.
    Last edited by sandwich_bird; 11-03-2018 at 11:38 PM.