Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Brood War wasn't great, here's why, we deserve better, here's how

Default Re: Brood War wasn't great, here's why, we deserve better, here's how

If it was truly bodiless, then I don't like the fact that it died when Tass crashed into his physical manifestation. This brings too much questions. Also, why do cerebrates need to join together like in BW to recreate it?

I'm fairly confident Blizzard intended it to not be bodiless though the idea is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    If it was truly bodiless, then I don't like the fact that it died when Tass crashed into his physical manifestation. This brings too much questions. Also, why do cerebrates need to join together like in BW to recreate it?

I'm fairly confident Blizzard intended it to not be bodiless though the idea is cool.
    I thought when the Overmind manifested itself onto Aiur, it was confirmed beyond a doubt that was its body, and if destroyed by Void energies, it cannot revive itself or something.

As for the Cerebrates joining together to create it, my theory is that the Overmind shared some new info with them in the aftermath of Zasz's death. The Overmind probably explained that due to the Dark Templar energies, it meant the Cerebrates are vulnerable, just like himself. If so, that means there's a chance he could be killed, and if that's the case, the Cerebrates must find a way to create another Overmind. Thus the Overmind shared the info with the Cerebrates on how to create another one should it get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    This is usually my go-to interpretation of the Overmind because I love it so much, however, it still has to have emergent properties that are just more than the sum of its parts that then make it its own character. The Xel'Naga created the Overmind themselves and the manual says "the Overmind coalesced into a semi-sentient being" and "As time passed, the Overmind developed the rudiments of personality and advanced intellect." The Overmind didn't start with these qualities, whereas the Geth gestalt does when they all join, so it's not really accurate to say that the Overmind exists everywhere or that it's merely "all zerg". It's still its own thing and I'd say it makes sense that it does need a container for its personality and memories. Also, who opened the warp rifts for the swarm? I always assumed it was Overmind/Cerebrates and they need a body for that. They are all bodiless in the sense that they're not tied to one body and jump/switch one at their whim especially if they get killed, but I really don't see the Overmind as a true bodiless entity who just hangs out in the ether.
    If we use only the SC1 lore, it was only intended to prevent the swarm's fracture. It's possible that the Xel'Naga concluded that the Overmind can't really do that because the zerg aren't mindles puppets, and therefore they had to give the Overmind something to allow it to evolve, hence the part where you were saying about the developing personality and intellect.

Using the SC2 lore, Amon made the Overmind to bind the zerg to the hive mind so they'd be his slaves, but he quickly realized if the Overmind himself is just some mindless drone, he'd be saddled with too much responsibilities. Therefore, it's better to give the Overmind something and allow it to develop intellectual reasoning. It's no different than a simple chain of command concept in the military, you'd want to have lower ranking officers so you don't have to be burdened with EVERY possible decision, however big or small....

there is a difference between a mind and a brain, the xelnaga built a mind with zerg mental connection, that is the sum of all, individually they are beasts together they are an intelligent being.the basic and primitive infrastructure of the overmind is the brains of all zerg.

for me, the manual is correct, the overmind is something incorporeal is similar to being empty in the frontline manga, it is unrooted with what is a mind and the cerebrates, they are the equivalent at the same time neurons a physical infrastructure
    more specialized and in a lesser way the hives, they are also at the same time that they are fraction of the identity of the overmind, and this is demonstrated when we see their real form when their bodies are destroyed, as beings of energy, and as the damage of a cerebrate directly damaged the overmind.

The conformation of a body seems in the temple xelnaga of aiur and put in a vulnerable state seems, was a need to execute what made amon in LoV, corrupt the khala. at the end is his corpse was the axis of the rebirth of Amon and his corrupting influence

*the union of the cerebrate in broodwar is the same reflection of how the human brain after suffering catastrophic damage tries to assemble with what remains and results in a completely different person. that was the second overmind
    Last edited by drakolobo; 12-14-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakolobo View Post
    *the union of the cerebrate in broodwar is the same reflection of how the human brain after suffering catastrophic damage tries to assemble with what remains and results in a completely different person. that was the second overmind
    Hmmmm, then tell me something: if the 2nd Overmind was allowed to mature and no one tried influencing it, do you believe it would have taken the zerg in a completely different path compared to the 1st one?

This is usually my go-to interpretation of the Overmind because I love it so much, however, it still has to have emergent properties that are just more than the sum of its parts that then make it its own character. The Xel'Naga created the Overmind themselves and the manual says "the Overmind coalesced into a semi-sentient being" and "As time passed, the Overmind developed the rudiments of personality and advanced intellect." The Overmind didn't start with these qualities, whereas the Geth gestalt does when they all join, so it's not really accurate to say that the Overmind exists everywhere or that it's merely "all zerg". It's still its own thing and I'd say it makes sense that it does need a container for its personality and memories. Also, who opened the warp rifts for the swarm? I always assumed it was Overmind/Cerebrates and they need a body for that. They are all bodiless in the sense that they're not tied to one body and jump/switch one at their whim especially if they get killed, but I really don't see the Overmind as a true bodiless entity who just hangs out in the ether.
    I don't necessarily see the Overmind as a ghost-like being that can exist outside of the Zerg or that it has no physical representation either since, afterall, I do see the Zerg race as a whole being the physical representation of the Overmind. I just find it odd that something that is supposed to represent the entire Zerg Swarm in hivemind is limited to a single physical shell.

If we're taking SC2 canon into account, Blizzard decided that its eyeball is also its in-game model, and that was its portrait the whole game in SC1. That's pretty overwhelming evidence that it was in a physical body the whole time as far as I'm concerned, though of course "anything is possible".
    Yeah, I wasn't including Sc2 there because I was talking about my "at the time" opinion of the Overmind and Sc2 hadn't come out then.

You can also take that to mean that it wasn't apparent, evident or obvious before because it was hiding out in space instead of implanting itself on the front lines.
    Most definitely but choosing the word "manifest" to denote coming out of hiding seems like an inappropriate use of that word.

Otherwise if it was a true bodiless entity there'd be no reason to speculate it's in any location.
    Well, speculation does not need to be bound to actual truth for it to still occur. Because no-one has ever seen it or knows anything remotely much about it, one is free to speculate where it's at, if it does indeed have a current body to be located at all. Because it's factually described as a bodiless entity, we can also speculate that it may not always be in one specific physical body at any one time.

But the Overmind didn't really die because in BW it's revealed it could be resurrected. Problem solved.

I assume cerebrates joining together to recreate the Overmind is perhaps due to each cerebrate maybe representing an aspect of the Overmind. So, if you join all those aspects together, you would get another Overmind. Probably not the same Overmind as it was before, but an Overmind of some kind. *Shrug*
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

I always thought the Overmind didn’t jump ship before it died because more Cerebrates deaths paralyzed it.