Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How you suppose the breeds of the extended Zerg swarms are composed?

Default Re: How you suppose the breeds of the extended Zerg swarms are composed?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakolobo
    its core can be adn viral
    Did you mean "DNA"?

All known life (obligatory exceptions links) is DNA based. The "Core genus" refers to the animal/s that have been captured or assimilated, and are used as a platform to contain many other modifications, making all zerg chimeras. There's some debate as to whether viruses are "alive" or not, of course. But considering that the zerg operate by means of horizontal gene transfer and genetic recombination, similarly to some viruses , an argument can be made the the zerg ARE viral in nature.

Back in the days before SCII, it was my headcanon that Defilers were derived from the Xel'Naga. It doesn't help now that the defiler body bears a vague resemblance to Xel'Naga, too; but I think it's canon that Defilers were cobbled together from scratch.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Default Re: How you suppose the breeds of the extended Zerg swarms are composed?

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Back in the days before SCII, it was my headcanon that Defilers were derived from the Xel'Naga. It doesn't help now that the defiler body bears a vague resemblance to Xel'Naga, too; but I think it's canon that Defilers were cobbled together from scratch.
    I thought the original description of the defiler said it contained the genomes of all breeds/strains, which it used to produce biological warfare agents like pathogens and vermin swarms.

EDIT: I never gave it much thought until recently, but I figure that the xel'naga could have been robots or something similarly strange.

Nolanstar's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    I thought the original description of the defiler said it contained the genomes of all breeds/strains, which it used to produce biological warfare agents like pathogens and vermin swarms.

EDIT: I never gave it much thought until recently, but I figure that the xel'naga could have been robots or something similarly strange.
    Looking back and yeah, it has parts of the common strains in it in some form. An example of the zerg "cobbling" together something useful and original. Probably how leviathans were created also.

Probably how leviathans were created also.
    Well, StarCraft: Evolution states the Leviathans were assimilated from a space-faring species, though whether Timothy Zahn was confusing Leviathans with Overlords and Behemoths is anybody's guess. However, the lore on Behemoths and Overlods conflicts; Shadow of the Xel'Naga states that it was the Behemoths that the Overmind assimilated on Zerus, allowing the Swarm to leave. However, Just an Overlord states -- and the manual itself suggests -- that it was the Gargantis Proximae instead that granted the Swarm off-world travel, later becoming Overlords.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 10-05-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Nolanstar's Avatar Junior Member

Could also be that Gargantis allowed the zerg to get into the orbit and gave them the range to assimilate behemoths.

for me levianthan only are heavy version of behemoth

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Well, StarCraft: Evolution states the Leviathans were assimilated from a space-faring species, though whether Timothy Zahn was confusing Leviathans with Overlords and Behemoths is anybody's guess. However, the lore on Behemoths and Overlods conflicts; Shadow of the Xel'Naga states that it was the Behemoths that the Overmind assimilated on Zerus, allowing the Swarm to leave. However, Just an Overlord states -- and the manual itself suggests -- that it was the Gargantis Proximae instead that granted the Swarm off-world travel, later becoming Overlords.
    I'm thinking it was originally all the same thing. The description of the Overlord in the manual says they're "space-faring behemoths". Are they the same or is it just coincidence? It's kinda fuzzy because although the Gargantis Proximae were space-faring and "behemoth", they were assimilated for their heightened senses, not their ability to survive and/or to enter space. Then again, the Zerg history mentions "a race of gargantuan space-faring life forms" from which they obtained the ability to survive space but doesn't mention that they were assimilated specifically for this trait. Also, note that the description of them being "gargantuan" and their core genus of Overlords being called "Gargantis Proximae". Has to be related, right?
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    I'm thinking it was originally all the same thing. The description of the Overlord in the manual says they're "space-faring behemoths". Are they the same or is it just coincidence? It's kinda fuzzy because although the Gargantis Proximae were space-faring and "behemoth", they were assimilated for their heightened senses, not their ability to survive and/or to enter space. Then again, the Zerg history mentions "a race of gargantuan space-faring life forms" from which they obtained the ability to survive space but doesn't mention that they were assimilated specifically for this trait. Also, note that the description of them being "gargantuan" and their core genus of Overlords being called "Gargantis Proximae". Has to be related, right?
    This has been a point of contention since the original manual. I don’t know whether it was due to later rewrites and poor proofreading or what.

Overlords were first mentioned in the Zerg backstory. They were assimilated on Zerus, before the Zerg had space flight, to act as agents for the cerebrates. Later, the Zerg lure behemoths and assimilate them to get functional space travel and space survivability. In the Overlord’s unit description, however, the gargantis proximae were mentioned to be space faring. In one of the cinematics, we see overlords flying past some kind of giant space whale creature too big to fit in the frame. They clearly aren’t the same species, but why didn’t the Zerg get space flight from gargantis proximae long before assimilating the behemoths? This is a plot hole. (Leviathans are clearly a third space faring species. Judging by the concept art, there are various space whale creatures resembling giant ticks and literal whales.)

The two problems facing a potential space faring organism are food and propulsion. They need food to power their propulsion, and they need really good propulsion to get their food since space is really big and empty. Traveling any significant distance is impossible without air/food storage and suspended animation, or superluminal travel. Furthermore, leaving and landing on a planet has a host of problems like escape velocity and friction on reentry. We saw the Zerg use their psychic powers to open wormholes, but we don’t know whether this relied on their khaydarin crystal cache or could evolve in other species.

“Just an Overlord” gave more backstory the gargantis proximae, explaining that they came to Zerus to be infested and avoid extinction. This still doesn’t resolve the plot hole. The gargantis proximae were said to have multiple homeworlds, probably feeding grounds since they were herbivorous, suggesting that they were capable of interstellar travel and deal with the difficulties of escape velocity and reentry. They used telekinesis and/or gas for propulsion, IIRC.

The only explanation I can think of is that the gargantis proximae’s method of space travel was not practical to get the Zerg off-world, and the Zerg were not able to improve upon it. Maybe they were too slow and spent their time in suspended animation, or were limited to the nebula surrounding Zerus (it was located in the galactic core, where stars were densely clustered). The gargantis proximae were, after all, on the verge of extinction when they were assimilated. Perhaps the gargantis proximae were native to a series of forest moons within a reasonable traveling distance of Zerus, explaining their inferior space travel.

The mantis screamers were believed capable of interstellar travel, possibly in a larval form (with suspended animation?). They could fly in space by flapping their wings (or maybe riding solar wind?), though the mechanics of this were not understood by contemporary science (according to the b.net pages, but it was later retconned to gas propulsion).

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post

Why robots? We were never shown what they looked like back in SC1 and BW. Of course for the defiler to be derived from the Xel'Naga, I'm a bit unsure on that. Via SC1's lore I got the impression the Overmind wanted all the power of the Xel'Naga for himself, and wasn't willing to give it to the zerg breeds, in the event they're killed off by someone else, who then might try to siphon the Xel'Naga power out of them (had the Overmind given it to them)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Why robots? We were never shown what they looked like back in SC1 and BW. Of course for the defiler to be derived from the Xel'Naga, I'm a bit unsure on that. Via SC1's lore I got the impression the Overmind wanted all the power of the Xel'Naga for himself, and wasn't willing to give it to the zerg breeds, in the event they're killed off by someone else, who then might try to siphon the Xel'Naga power out of them (had the Overmind given it to them)
    What? That makes no sense. Besides their science, the xel'naga had no "powers." The Overmind is a function of the Swarm, not a separate entity capable of deception. Even its so-called physical form is a proxy that was probably created specifically to assault the psi matrix. The xel'naga knowledge was disseminated among the Swarm. The Zerg literally consumed the xel'naga and constitute their direct descendants.

Gradius' Origins custom campaign rationalized this as xel'naga having "purity of form" which made them uninfestable (this is obviously a completely different meaning from the Protoss' sullied purity). I think that in a human perspective that might translate as "robotic", which the Zerg would have no context for. Insert crazy theories about the xel'naga creating the protoss/zerg as host bodies, then getting their souls eaten by the Zerg and ironically accomplishing said goal.

I doubt that Zerg and Protoss literally use DNA are their genetic molecule, being aliens and all. That's just Blizzard's typical scientific illiteracy again.

Speaking of which, the fluff says that the larvae have the genomes of all breeds. Yet the buildings are stated to have the genes of their associated breed and allow larvae to use it. This is a relic of the SC beta when the buildings individually produced larvae that molted into the associated breed, then changed to centralization at the hatchery w/o updating the manual completely. How would that make sense? Is the genome compressed and encrypted within larvae, then decrypted and decompressed by the associated building?