Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of retcons do you think will justify the plot of StarCraft 3?

Default Re: What kind of retcons do you think will justify the plot of StarCraft 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Too true. It's weird but, in Sc1, even though the story was following named characters, it never felt to me that "Starcraft" was/revolved about them in particular or specifically. Back then, no character seemed so important in an out-of-universe way (sure, the in-universe characters would like to heap importance on specific other characters but that doesn't mean they actually are important or important as much as they think or like them to be)/ protected by plot armour that they couldn't potentially and untimely meet death around the corner due to a mistake, a miscalculation or misjudgement. Afterall, even the most godlike character that was present in Sc1, the Overmind, proved to be fallible in the end through no fault of its own.
    No character was supposed to feel important because the storyline wasn't intended to centered around a single person. In BW they tried to change this a bit due to Kerrigan wanting control of the swarm, and that's fine. However by the time of SC2 they should have only stressed her importance via WoL and that's it, mainly because she was the only symbol of control for the swarm. Once she was defeated on Char, there was no need to stress single character importance anymore

Zoar's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: What kind of retcons do you think will justify the plot of StarCraft 3?

On the planet Adena, in the demilitarized zone between the Terran Dominion and Daelaam territory, a group of Dominion marines (including a psionic named Elms) and mercenaries were sent to salvage jorium crystals from a abandoned mining outpost. In reality the marines were going to keep the jorium for themselves and sell it on the black market. The Daelaam under Admiral Urun watched the terrans skeptically, but allowed them on the planet. The salvage team below took the crates, but soon found zerg under the Niadra Brood in the base, which quickly attacked them.[3]

The marines defended themselves, and Broodmother Niadra revealed she had been waiting on the planet for a long time for terrans to expand her brood, in order to fight the protoss. Niadra planted a larva into the commander just as Kerrigan did on the Daelaam Ark, and allowed her to escape on a dropship. Meanwhile, she turned her attention to Elms, who she recognized as a psionic. Urun's carrier meanwhile shot down the dropship as it was escaping the atmosphere.[4]

Enraged, Captain Hogarth fired on Urun's carrier, and Urun deployed his forces, though it broke the treaty the Daelaam had with the Terran Dominion. Urun then lead a team down to the surface, and fought the zerg around Elms. Together they beat back the zerg, and Urun soon turned on the terrans, but Elms psionically communicated with him, convincing the admiral to join forces to fight off Niadra's zerg.

A quick synopsis of the 3 parts of the comic available so far. Copied from starcraft.wikia.com

That'll probably be minor. Niadra's brood isn't that strong yet, you know

Yeah, I totally see Niadra's brood getting destroyed by the end of this comic. It's just to tie up loose ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Yeah, I totally see Niadra's brood getting destroyed by the end of this comic. It's just to tie up loose ends.
    Did they announce a release date for part 4 yet? Because I can't remember....

I recently thought up some ideas for SC3 expansion/DLC (since it will likely use SC2 engine).

Since it's standard practice to forget existing plot threads and introduce new factions out of nowhere, I expect SC3 will do the same.

New factions:

Galaxy Federation: a Terran empire which rules Earth and other planets. They send fleets to K-sec to put the uppity colonists back in their place. (UED is completely forgotten.)

Locust Crusade: Another Zerg Swarm which split off after leaving Zerus millions of years ago. They want to eat everyone. Their dialogue is ripped off from the reapers in Mass Effect. (Overmind and Kerry are forgotten.)

Something Something Theocracy: Another Protoss empire which split off from Aiur millions of years. They have their own Khala. They want to kill all infidels or something. Their dialogue is ripped off from the Imperium of Man in Warhammer 40k.

Hybrids/Void thrashers/xel'naga: a space demon race always that existed and have nothing to do with Zerg or Protoss. Tal'darim summon them with black magic, but they are otherwise canon-fodder. (Amon is forgotten. Taldarim are Sith lords who worship the dark side.)

Does that sound accurate? It's difficult to tell because I have to turn my brain off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    I recently thought up some ideas for SC3 expansion/DLC (since it will likely use SC2 engine).

Since it's standard practice to forget existing plot threads and introduce new factions out of nowhere, I expect SC3 will do the same.

New factions:

Galaxy Federation: a Terran empire which rules Earth and other planets. They send fleets to K-sec to put the uppity colonists back in their place. (UED is completely forgotten.)

Locust Crusade: Another Zerg Swarm which split off after leaving Zerus millions of years ago. They want to eat everyone. Their dialogue is ripped off from the reapers in Mass Effect. (Overmind and Kerry are forgotten.)

Something Something Theocracy: Another Protoss empire which split off from Aiur millions of years. They have their own Khala. They want to kill all infidels or something. Their dialogue is ripped off from the Imperium of Man in Warhammer 40k.

Hybrids/Void thrashers/xel'naga: a space demon race always that existed and have nothing to do with Zerg or Protoss. Tal'darim summon them with black magic, but they are otherwise canon-fodder. (Amon is forgotten. Taldarim are Sith lords who worship the dark side.)

Does that sound accurate? It's difficult to tell because I have to turn my brain off.
    I'll just take the Void thrashers part in the last one. The Xel'Naga can appear in flashbacks and that's enough. It would be interesting to see more of the thrashers as they're also native Void creatures, would like to see how they interacted....

"Taking the piss" there I see, Misla. I think I'll just stick to WH40K thank you very much. Lol
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Well, looking at what they're now doing with WoW.. both the alliance and the horde joined forces to fuck over one of the biggest bad guy in the franchise. Yet, the new xpac is about reviving the conflict between the alliance and the horde. Their main reason for going all out war on each other is because of a misunderstanding that could literally be solved instantly if the leaders of both factions weren't too retarded to spend 5 minutes to talk to each other. Wow has always been stupid but this is just an all new level of it.

Anyways, I'm saying this because if wow is the blueprint, I bet they'll want to restart the good old TvPvZ in the unlikely sc3. They won't introduce a new big baddie. How they'll make it happen? I'm not sure what they'll retcon for it. Maybe Valerian(who's basically Anduin) will blame Artanis for something and this will result in a war at the simplest inconvenience and then zagara will jump in because why not? Or worst, maybe they'll want a 2 faction war... Dehaka, Alarak, Nova(the horde) vs Zagara, artanis, Valerian(the alliance).

What I want from SC3 is a complete retcon. Forget SC2 ever happened, and continue as appropriate from SC1.

Actually, what should have happened is a second expansion set for SC1, going Zerg->Toss-> Terran. This would involve a "soft" ending, where the main antagonisms are settled, but all three races are still at odds and violence can/will be provoked in the future. The Zerg would be weakened to a point to where they have to bide their time, the 'Toss would be dealing with their own issues, and the Terrans would have their own factional issues. Thus, that would create the opportunity for future games to be primarily human, and open to smaller stories (ie SC:Ghost and the like). Also, Terrans need to have more importance in the story. Most of the big issues in Starcraft have to do with Protoss and Zerg, making Terrans more or less interlopers in situations far beyond them. As much as this perspective could be interesting, in practice it produces things like the set of UED Terran missions, where hapless humans fight among themselves with minimal impact on the long term story. In short, human missions shouldn't feel like stale interruptions from the big stuff going on with the other races.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.