Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of retcons do you think will justify the plot of StarCraft 3?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: What kind of retcons do you think will justify the plot of StarCraft 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Sc3 literally could be anything and it'd be "justified". The retcons and how they were used, set a precedent that just about anything can happen and nothing, not even the games internal history (recent or otherwise), can be taken for granted.
    /thread]

Default Re: What kind of retcons do you think will justify the plot of StarCraft 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Speaking of which, I fully expect the primal zerg, the definition of essence, etc to be retconned yet again.
    So do I, but mainly because they didn't try to explain too much about them in HotS. It was a shame Kerrigan didn't ask Zurvan a bit more about the primal's history before Amon arrived and all that.

In the beginning, the xel’naga created the universe. They created the zerg in the Zerus Galaxy and the protoss in the Aiur Galaxy with the intent that the two races would eventually merge and become the next generation of xel’naga, like sperm fertilizing ova. However, the xel’naga Amon discovered that the zerg were evil and would eventually assimilate the universe in pursuit of perfection. He tried to stop them, but they infested and consumed him. Then, using his knowledge, they killed and ate all the other xel’naga. With their new infinite power, they went on to conquer billions of galaxies before sending a token fleet to eat the newly discovered Koprulu galaxy ruled by the Protoss Empire and finally achieve their fabled perfection.

Meanwhile, enclaves of Protoss in other galaxies formed their own great Empire billions of years ago. From these Protoss descended numerous colonies. During the Aeon of Strife, a multi-galactic war lasting billions of years, many colonies forgot their origins and believed themselves alone in the universe. The Koprulu Empire, ruling the Koprulu Galaxy, was one such empire. The Zerg, however, remained unaware of the Protoss Empires at large.

The control brain of the Koprulu expeditionary fleet, the Overmind, was killed and defeated by the twilight Templar Tassadar. This left the swarms in the Koprulu galaxy feral and easy prey. The Overmind’s daughter, Kerrigan, swiftly took command and tried to continue her father’s goal. Then the xel’naga Duran, who escaped the great devouring, appeared and deceived her into helping him make Zerg/Protoss hybrids who would destroy the Zerg.

Using the ancient psychic magic of the xel’naga, Duran resurrected Amon free of Zerg control. Amon used his psychic magic to enslave the Protoss and Zerg, with the intention of creating an army of hybrids to defeat the Zerg who ruled the universe outside the Koprulu galaxy. However, he did not know that the Overmind could see the future and had already planned Amon’s demise.

Amon and Duran were killed, allowing the Koprulu galaxy to return to its previously peaceful ways. Since the Overmind was dead, the Zerg in the Koprulu galaxy forgot their mission and, having little in the way of independent thought, decided to retreat into a life of silent contemplation.

Concerned by the fact that billions of years passed without a peep from the Koprulu galaxy, the Zerg Emperor has sent another Overmind to investigate the Koprulu galaxy. Meanwhile, the Protoss Empire has discovered numerous Zerg creatures exploring the borders of their rule and sent fleets to investigate. One such fleet arrives in the Koprulu galaxy…

I wouldn't bother going that far. There was nothing to say the Xel'Naga created the universe in SC1 or the SC2 lore. Personally I doubt they'd really decide to go that far. Though then again, you could argue this somewhat happened in HotS, given how much they forgot what happened in the WoL storyline.

Again, this is why I still believe Blizzard made the whole SC2 story based off the assumption "Oh everyone is only in it for the multiplayer, so no one will even notice if we make retcons in the campaign."

That's probably accurate, Rag. Blizzard sees their stories as being very malleable; it's all about making up excuses to sell products. If anyone expects the same amount of passion in Blizzard's stoey telling as, say, Valve treated its IPs in the past (emphasis on past), then they're fooling themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next big retcon involves linking the various universes once inhabited by the Xel'Naga, leading to some roundabout story that concludes with humanity being the lynch pin of the Xel'Naga's genesis and continued existence. Just look at WarCraft to see into Starcraft's future.

Zoar's Avatar Junior Member

So what does everyone think of the new short 3 part comic from the Warchest?
    Seems like they didn't completely forget about Niadra and some things seem to be heating up in the DMZ.

So what does everyone think of the new short 3 part comic from the Warchest?
    Seems like they didn't completely forget about Niadra and some things seem to be heating up in the DMZ.
    I'm lost. What's going on?

EDIT Whoops, never mind, found it!
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 09-17-2017 at 07:48 AM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    That's probably accurate, Rag. Blizzard sees their stories as being very malleable; it's all about making up excuses to sell products. If anyone expects the same amount of passion in Blizzard's stoey telling as, say, Valve treated its IPs in the past (emphasis on past), then they're fooling themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next big retcon involves linking the various universes once inhabited by the Xel'Naga, leading to some roundabout story that concludes with humanity being the lynch pin of the Xel'Naga's genesis and continued existence. Just look at WarCraft to see into Starcraft's future.
    I never got into the WC universe, Vok. Just give me the gist of it.

Sc3 literally could be anything and it'd be "justified". The retcons and how they were used, set a precedent that just about anything can happen and nothing, not even the games internal history (recent or otherwise), can be taken for granted. It's at the point where I won't even bat an eyelid now if it were "revealed" that Xel'Naga are some time-travelling, future descendent of Terrans or whatever other outlandish idea that anyone else can come up with.

For all the quirks in BW and Sc1 story, there was always a feeling of verisimilitude, consequence and finality to some of the things that were happening there that we just don't get in Sc2. The retcons, amongst other things, in SC2 make it seem like things just happen for the sake of happening or worse, that there's obvious authorial intervention going on. All of this breaks one's immersion into that story. Not only that, any sense of tension that can be mustered seems manufactured rather than being naturally emergent such that while the stakes are definitely bigger and should carry weight, they ultimately ring hollow and false. Part of it is also due to the hyper-inflated importance of the old named characters and the grandiosity of having to revolve stories around such "big name" characters. That people were more interested in "unimportant" side characters like Tychus, Abathur and Alarak makes me wonder at how differently the story would've turned out and been received if it focused on building up new characters as the leads.

After Sc2, I have no interest in Sc3 in terms of its "main" story any more. They'll probably tap into a villain that's less esoteric and will garner more nostalgia pangs (looks at UED) or they might actually make the Protoss, in some form (Tal'darim?), the antagonist this time. Either way, I won't care for it since it'd still reek of "sequel for the sake of sequel" no matter how long it takes before it is eventually released. It's funny in a way since I was one of a very rare few who actually didn't want a sequel and was cynical of Sc2 right from the get-go way back when. I was hoping that I wasn't going to be vindicated - but alas, it was not to be. Still, whilst I've never read the EU novels (and still most likely won't), I'm still interested in the universe and the smaller things that can happen within it like those short stories and tangents that had nothing to do with the core/original game characters and story. In terms of "story", I felt they were actually the best thing that ever came close to capturing that old Starcraft feel throughout this entire time.
    You hit on the nail on head with what I think StarCraft did wrong. I definitely think StarCraft would have been better as a backdrop for space opera stories rather than literally forcing the universe to revolve around Jim and Kerry. The Insurrection expansion showed that you could write interesting campaigns taking place on single planets during the Zerg invasion of the Koprulu sector.

The really neat thing about Insurrection is that it has many identical plot points to SC1, but generally executes them better. For example, the Confederacy and Judicators actually do villainous things to earn their villain label. The Protoss politics had shades of Game of Thrones even. I would be way more interested in more stories like that.

The reason why characters like Alarak and Dehaka are popular is because they are clearly villainous but still protagonists. Dehaka and Abathur ironically follow largely the same values as the pre-Kerry Zerg did, being obsessed with achieving perfection. Alarak is probably the best way to portray evil dark templar who justify judicator paranoia.

I definitely think StarCraft would have been better as a backdrop for space opera stories rather than literally forcing the universe to revolve around Jim and Kerry.
    Too true. It's weird but, in Sc1, even though the story was following named characters, it never felt to me that "Starcraft" was/revolved about them in particular or specifically. Back then, no character seemed so important in an out-of-universe way (sure, the in-universe characters would like to heap importance on specific other characters but that doesn't mean they actually are important or important as much as they think or like them to be)/ protected by plot armour that they couldn't potentially and untimely meet death around the corner due to a mistake, a miscalculation or misjudgement. Afterall, even the most godlike character that was present in Sc1, the Overmind, proved to be fallible in the end through no fault of its own.

The reason why characters like Alarak and Dehaka are popular is because they are clearly villainous but still protagonists. Dehaka and Abathur ironically follow largely the same values as the pre-Kerry Zerg did, being obsessed with achieving perfection. Alarak is probably the best way to portray evil dark templar who justify judicator paranoia.
    Not so sure about Dehaka. He sure is...uh, "different" but he's doesn't really become much than a one-note "hat" and he's used more as plot device than anything else (to resolve another conveniently introduced plot device).

I think Alarak, Tychus and even Abathur are popular not because they're villainous but because those characters hearken back to the dirty, the griminess that was Starcraft. They're the brutally honest, "cut-the-shit" types that you would expect to see in that universe. They stand out in Sc2 because they don't seem to really belong in the fantastical and artificial universe that Sc2 sets them up in.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Too true. It's weird but, in Sc1, even though the story was following named characters, it never felt to me that "Starcraft" was/revolved about them in particular or specifically. Back then, no character seemed so important in an out-of-universe way (sure, the in-universe characters would like to heap importance on specific other characters but that doesn't mean they actually are important or important as much as they think or like them to be)/ protected by plot armour that they couldn't potentially and untimely meet death around the corner due to a mistake, a miscalculation or misjudgement. Afterall, even the most godlike character that was present in Sc1, the Overmind, proved to be fallible in the end through no fault of its own.
    If you have the time, I would suggest reading Enumerate. We all had ideas for fixing StarCraft, but Enumerate is probably the most detailed treatment ever written. I was really glad I found it, because it executed a lot of my similar ideas a lot more elegantly.

Not so sure about Dehaka. He sure is...uh, "different" but he's doesn't really become much than a one-note "hat" and he's used more as plot device than anything else (to resolve another conveniently introduced plot device).

I think Alarak, Tychus and even Abathur are popular not because they're villainous but because those characters hearken back to the dirty, the griminess that was Starcraft. They're the brutally honest, "cut-the-shit" types that you would expect to see in that universe. They stand out in Sc2 because they don't seem to really belong in the fantastical and artificial universe that Sc2 sets them up in.
    Yeah, that's more accurate than what I said.