Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would tal'darim work without Amon?

Default Re: How would tal'darim work without Amon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Good point! The Khala is presented with good and bad sides (Tassadar is the good side, Aldaris is the bad side), but the dark templar are not presented with bad sides. The taldarim are perfect for representing the bad side of the dark templar's philosophy, to the point where they are not so different from the fundamentalist judicators who casually order genocide.

The name "tal'darim" originated from the Dark Templar Trilogy, where it had a completely different context. It meant "forged [by the Great War]", but LotV retconned it to "chosen [by the Xel'naga]".

If they still need an evil god figure to make sense, I would like to remind everyone that Ulrezaj is the protoss antichrist.

EDIT: Don't forget that the judicators banned all other religions, including worship of the xel'naga, so it's still possible for outcasts to worship them. Gods do not need to be real for their faith to have power.
    No, these are two different things, Mislagnissa. Remember, the Aiur Tal'darim under Ulrezaj didn't serve Amon like the Slayn Tal'darim do. Blizzard confirmed this. Which is a shame too, it meant the DT Saga storyline was mostly wasted. And to think years ago they specifically said the DT Saga books was specifically meant to be a prequel to the SC2 trilogy. I had at least hoped Jake Ramsey and Rosemary Dahl would be mentioned in LotV, but they ignored that too.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    No, these are two different things, Mislagnissa. Remember, the Aiur Tal'darim under Ulrezaj didn't serve Amon like the Slayn Tal'darim do. Blizzard confirmed this. Which is a shame too, it meant the DT Saga storyline was mostly wasted. And to think years ago they specifically said the DT Saga books was specifically meant to be a prequel to the SC2 trilogy. I had at least hoped Jake Ramsey and Rosemary Dahl would be mentioned in LotV, but they ignored that too.
    The books invented the name taldarim. The games used it as a generic term for protoss fanatics, ignoring the original context. LotV retcons the taldarim into a third ethnic group that contributes nothing to the plot.

I was always fascinated by the Protoss society, specifically its alien nature from humanity. I hated how Blizzard consistently failed to do them (and the Zerg) justice.

the Aiur Tal'darim under Ulrezaj didn't serve Amon like the Slayn Tal'darim do.
    Which is a plot thread they never addressed. Some Blizzard writer confirmed that Ulrezaj wasn't serving Amon... even though he was hunting Preservers and creating Hybrids, as Amon wanted. Ooooh, another mysterious Big Bad! -_- Shut up, Blizzard, it was Amon or a proxy of his.

I hated how Blizzard consistently failed to do them (and the Zerg) justice.
    I think we all feel that way, buddy.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

The books invented the name taldarim. The games used it as a generic term for protoss fanatics, ignoring the original context. LotV retcons the taldarim into a third ethnic group that contributes nothing to the plot.

I was always fascinated by the Protoss society, specifically its alien nature from humanity. I hated how Blizzard consistently failed to do them (and the Zerg) justice.
    Originally I had thought that it was split into 3 factions: the artifact guardians, the ones under Ulrezaj, and the ones under Amon. It's a shame Blizzard did not try to tie this together better.

[QUOTE=Visions of Khas;204520]Which is a plot thread they never addressed. Some Blizzard writer confirmed that Ulrezaj wasn't serving Amon... even though he was hunting Preservers and creating Hybrids, as Amon wanted. Ooooh, another mysterious Big Bad! -_- Shut up, Blizzard, it was Amon or a proxy of his.

This is why I'm hoping we get to see Ulrezaj's master in the future or something, possibly the voice in the darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Which is a plot thread they never addressed. Some Blizzard writer confirmed that Ulrezaj wasn't serving Amon... even though he was hunting Preservers and creating Hybrids, as Amon wanted. Ooooh, another mysterious Big Bad! -_- Shut up, Blizzard, it was Amon or a proxy of his.
    In Enslavers Redux custom campaign, the modder tried to tie all these story threads together. Bizarrely, ER posited that Ulrezaj was the one who figured out how to create hybrids while Duran only appeared recently.

This is why I would have preferred if, instead of Amon, we had the Overmind and Ulrezaj racing to create their own hybrids and take over the universe. Ulrezaj is a classic example of a vengeful person eventually being driven insane in their quest for vengeance, while the Overmind is a benevolent dictator who wants to make everyone perfect, which is much more compelling than Amon complaining about having greatness forced on him.

Duran, Amon and Ouros make more sense as Zerg changelings used for espionage. Their basic appearance and basic abilities are virtually the same.

Originally I had thought that it was split into 3 factions: the artifact guardians, the ones under Ulrezaj, and the ones under Amon. It's a shame Blizzard did not try to tie this together better.
    In other words, "taldarim" is a generic term for Protoss fanatics. Like "true scotsman" or "conservative."

This is why I'm hoping we get to see Ulrezaj's master in the future or something, possibly the voice in the darkness
    The Voice in the Darkness is based on a shallow surface reading of cosmic horror, and as such has nothing interesting going for it. The Zerg pre-retcons are a better example of cosmic horror, without intentionally being cosmic horror.

taldarim means forged, d the new skin warchest are the forged faction, the first dragon hero was called asi taldarim
    that a faction of survivors decides to call itself this way does not sound improbable the taldarim are like a long lost people and with a strong.
    the guardians of the artifacts themselves are a subfaction of the taldarim, they focus more on the divine aspect of the xelnagas and terracine, alarak said that this is due are crazy of sanity by the excessive consumption of terracine

amon is a benevolent benefactor, je the existence is a burden, from which he wants to free us

In other words, "taldarim" is a generic term for Protoss fanatics. Like "true scotsman" or "conservative."
    For now. I'm still hoping sometime in the future they'll get back to Ulrezaj and why he named the Aiur protoss he converted as Tal'darim too, and how much Ulrezaj knew about Amon, and so on.