Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge opportunity

Default Re: Huge opportunity

I mean, yeah, ok, that is pretty phenomenal, and I'm not at that level yet. But I actually don't think that level of detail is necessarily something they're looking for, though it might sway the community voters. Since they linked their new battlenet profile pages as the example of where these portraits will be used, having them look good at small resolution as well (like ~80px) should be as important as having them look good close up.

I mean... that guy's also looks fantastic small... but slightly less intimidating/unachievable... slightly.

I mean... that guy's also looks fantastic small... but slightly less intimidating/unachievable... slightly.
    Are you kidding me? That looks amazing! I love the delicate work with shadows; the subtle shading and sfumato are gorgeous, bringing some poignant beauty to a gritty hyperrealsm. Worse comes to worse, up the contrast a bit.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I didn't have time to be super original so here's how my Zerg entry is going. Just a boring ol' classic Hydralisk.

And scaled down more:

Hopefully can finish the other 2 tomorrow.
    Last edited by Robear; 08-15-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Not sure if I'll be able to finish the Protoss one. 23 hours remain. Here's where the Terran's at right now, and the Zerg. Gogogo!

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

The Terran marine looks like a medieval renaissance drawing.

A black chick in marine armor? SJW!! Jk I like it, man. I'd think there'd be more diversity than we've seen in Koprulu.

I haven't had time to work on any portraits, unfortunately. Good luck Robear!!

Haha, I don't even consider it 'more' diversity. There are obviously black men around, from the original cinematics to major characters like Duran, Warfield, Tosh and Reigel. I'm guessing women probably exist too lol. And I've always figured Umoja's colonists were largely black given their choice of a Swahili name. Don't think the Protoss is gonna make it, but maybe I'll pull a hail mary.
    Last edited by Robear; 08-17-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Haha, I don't even consider it 'more' diversity. There are obviously black men around, from the original cinematics to major characters like Duran, Warfield, Tosh and Reigel. I'm guessing women probably exist too lol. And I've always figured Umoja's colonists were largely black given their choice of a Swahili name. Don't think the Protoss is gonna make it, but maybe I'll pull a hail mary.
    WE'RE ROOTING FOR YA ROBEAR! Those past two portraits were freaking amazing, can't wait to see the Protoss one and I hope you finish on time.

Thanks for the support! I'll definitely do something, won't give up.

Here's what I'm calling the final marine and hydralisk, just cause I'm out of time. On to Protoss!

I'm actually really happy with the marine as a painting, but if you scale it down further the face gets muddled, whereas the hydralisk, while a bit more basic, is more recognizable even when tiny. I don't really expect to win, but I'm still happy.
    Last edited by Robear; 08-17-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Thanks for the support! I'll definitely do something, won't give up.

Here's what I'm calling the final marine and hydralisk, just cause I'm out of time. On to Protoss!

I'm actually really happy with the marine as a painting, but if you scale it down further the face gets muddled, whereas the hydralisk, while a bit more basic, is more recognizable even when tiny. I don't really expect to win, but I'm still happy.
    terran is good

hydralisk not for me, maybe if was more mrjack aniversary hidralisk tith more definition
    Last edited by drakolobo; 08-18-2017 at 12:42 PM.