Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Campaign Portraits

Default Re: Campaign Portraits

Well, some forms of life can live off photosynthesis and radiation, including but not limited to some species of radiation-munching fungi, the Elysia chlorotica green sea slug, and oriental wasps, and a species of spotted salamander. More over, the birthrate and growth rate of protoss is extremely slow. Yes, autotrophics don't account for all the energy protoss seem to possess, but it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility for animals to be photosynthetic.

If you want to include the "Void" into your calculations, I guess we'll have to determine what exactly the Void is. Zero point energy? Dark Matter? Dark Energy? Some emergent phenomenon?
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 07-31-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Protoss having alien orifices is the simplest answer by Occam's razor because it makes the fewest extraneous suppositions. We see them inhaling and exhaling through something, so why not a nose or mouth?
    Fixed for ya. A mouth is a specific type of orifice to be sure, but it's not clear whether Protoss do indeed have this type of orifice specifically. Also, that they breathe doesn't necessarily imply there must be a mouth, since the main function of a mouth is really, to eat.

With the whole "whether Protoss eat or not" debate, it all depends on how alien (or "science-fictiony") you want to perceive them as. The premise that Protoss have to eat is based on the assumption that their biology is the same or not too dissimilar to other carbon-based lifeforms. If they're supposed to be properly alien, we can hide in the conceit and possibility that Protoss have a completely different biochemistry in their make-up. This could mean anything as basic but invisible processes such as Protoss metabolising nutrients differently than any other carbon-based lifeform to more overt, superficial things like whether they have mouths or not...
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Protoss having alien mouthparts is the simplest answer by Occam's razor because it makes the fewest extraneous suppositions.
    That is definitely not how it works. The Protoss already have the Khala/void as an energy source. There is no evidence of alien mouthparts serving as yet another energy source in any official media, so until we find out that the Protoss ingest food through some hidden anal orifice, this theory can be excised by Occam's razor.
    Last edited by Gradius; 08-01-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Well, some forms of life can live off photosynthesis and radiation, including but not limited to some species of radiation-munching fungi, the Elysia chlorotica green sea slug, and oriental wasps, and a species of spotted salamander. More over, the birthrate and growth rate of protoss is extremely slow. Yes, autotrophics don't account for all the energy protoss seem to possess, but it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility for animals to be photosynthetic.

If you want to include the "Void" into your calculations, I guess we'll have to determine what exactly the Void is. Zero point energy? Dark Matter? Dark Energy? Some emergent phenomenon?
    I always figured that psychics draw their energy from the environment somehow. Different species have different specialties based on how they filter it. The khalai specialize in the spiritual, the dark templar in the physical, and the zerg in the biological.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Fixed for ya. A mouth is a specific type of orifice to be sure, but it's not clear whether Protoss do indeed have this type of orifice specifically. Also, that they breathe doesn't necessarily imply there must be a mouth, since the main function of a mouth is really, to eat.

With the whole "whether Protoss eat or not" debate, it all depends on how alien (or "science-fictiony") you want to perceive them as. The premise that Protoss have to eat is based on the assumption that their biology is the same or not too dissimilar to other carbon-based lifeforms. If they're supposed to be properly alien, we can hide in the conceit and possibility that Protoss have a completely different biochemistry in their make-up. This could mean anything as basic but invisible processes such as Protoss metabolising nutrients differently than any other carbon-based lifeform to more overt, superficial things like whether they have mouths or not...
    Lifeforms need to consume energy and nutrients whether they are carbon based or not. Even robots require fuel and maintenance. Even plants have to consume dirt and air to get their needed nutrients; they need sunlight only to turn carbon dioxide and water into sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    That is definitely not how it works. The Protoss already have the Khala/void as an energy source. There is no evidence of alien mouthparts serving as yet another energy source in any official media, so until we find out that the Protoss ingest food through some hidden anal orifice, this theory can be excised by Occam's razor.
    The only explanation that makes any sense to me is that Protoss extract the nutrients from meats and veggies to power their metabolism and build their cells. They harvest resources for a reason.

I always figured that psychics draw their energy from the environment somehow. Different species have different specialties based on how they filter it. The khalai specialize in the spiritual, the dark templar in the physical, and the zerg in the biological.
    I guess you'll have to clarify this one for me. If we're talking hard scifi, then what would entail spiritual energy vs physical?

We know that protoss are capable of absorbing water and sundrop through semi-permeable skin, so I don't see why they can't also absorb other nutrients similarly.

Protoss have blue or purple blood, implying it may be copper or Nitrogen monohydride/iron based. But these are inefficient at oxygen transport compared to haemoglobin.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 08-01-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    Aaand sold.

I guess you'll have to clarify this one for me. If we're talking hard scifi, then what would entail spiritual energy vs physical?
    Sorry, what I mean is mental. The games don't explore it, but I felt that it would be more interesting to divide the khala and void by their effects and philosophy. The khala draws its symbolism from presence, the void from absence and empty space. As a result, the khalai excel at telepathy and similar pursuits, while the dark templar focus on manipulating matter and space. For example, dark templar are able to cloak with their psychic powers while the khalai must rely on bulky cloaking devices.

We know that protoss are capable of absorbing water and sundrop through semi-permeable skin, so I don't see why they can't also absorb other nutrients similarly.
    Sundrop is from the DTT, which says Protoss don't eat. Absorbing their meats and veggies through their skin sounds all kinds of unpleasant. Do they sweat acid and bathe in pools of meat smoothie?

As a result, the khalai excel at telepathy and similar pursuits, while the dark templar focus on manipulating matter and space.
    While I agree with the thematic underpinnings for the khalai and dark templar, I have to disagree on the respective manifestations here. Such abilities as Feedback (used by Dark Archons and High Templar) and Mind Control (an empathic ability wielded by Dark Archons) kind of counter this argument. While this distinction in their abilities may have been present in SCI and BW, it's been thrown away in SCII.
    Aaand sold.

While I agree with the thematic underpinnings for the khalai and dark templar, I have to disagree on the respective manifestations here. Such abilities as Feedback (used by Dark Archons and High Templar) and Mind Control (an empathic ability wielded by Dark Archons) kind of counter this argument. While this distinction in their abilities may have been present in SCI and BW, it's been thrown away in SCII.
    One could argue that the difference is thematic rather than purely about results. Feedback and mind control work on both living creatures and robots; mind control projects part of the caster's "psychic essence" to possess the target. Both powers operate by creating and/or filling an absence.

EDIT:
    That was kind of already heavily implied by SC1 though. Protoss transform into pure energy to remerge into Archons, and they died in a blue energy flame upon death. They were pretty much psionic energy creatures.
    Actually, this leads me to suspect the archons are the purity of form the xel'naga so desired. The protoss are still imperfect because they haven't made a permanent transition into stable archons, who wouldn't need a digestive or respiratory system.
    Last edited by Mislagnissa; 08-01-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

My theory is the Protoss have specialized psionic organs for synthesizing nutrients out of pure energy and breaking down cellular waste. This would all be from XelNaga protogenetic manipulations and in the past they were more like normal creatures that ingested food. So when they merge into an archon they pretty much ramp up these organs into overdrive so that they can synthesize a new being by using the existing body as a resource. Then the zealot's charge ability is pretty much the same thing but only lasts a microsecond and just reforms the zealot into its original state.
    Last edited by Gradius; 08-01-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Then the zealot's charge ability is pretty much the same thing but only lasts a microsecond and just reforms the zealot into its original state.
    The SCII beta ran (no pun intended) with the idea that Zealots briefly assume an energy form during their dashes, and the animation reflected that. But it seems like they scaled back on that approach; now, it just seems as though it's cybernetic leg enhancements.
    Aaand sold.