Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Campaign Portraits

Default Campaign Portraits

It seems that almost all of the campaign portraits have been found! You can see them at....

http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...dx=5014&l=1952
    http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...014&p=2&l=1953
    http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...dx=5014&l=1954
    http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...014&p=2&l=1955
    http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...014&p=2&l=1957

Definitely better than I expected, Protoss needs to stay more loyal to OG skin tones and what not, and Mengsk/Dugalle look a little off. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Campaign Portraits

Now this is some quality artwork.

(My version of Fenix from WAAAY back when. I'm loving the similarities!)

Last edited by Visions of Khas; 07-27-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

A lot of them are really good. But I still think the Protoss aren't being given due justice. Their skin looks very different. Compare the new carrier's flesh above to the old carrier

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    A lot of them are really good. But I still think the Protoss aren't being given due justice. Their skin looks very different. Compare the new carrier's flesh above to the old carrier
    Yeah they all have the SC2 grey skin. They could at least make it have green lighting.

I don't know how to feel. Half the art is good but half of it is crap. I mean, the Dark Origins art is literally SC2 Zeratul. They're not even trying.

Yeah, they seem pretty intent on giving the Protoss the same lustrous sheen Artanis shows here, which is somewhat akin to the waxy cuticle of some leaves. Biologically, it kinda makes sense for the Protoss, since the cuticle is a fatty acid for water retention.

Which begs the question of how do they perform thermoregulation. The answer, obviously, would be space magic.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 07-27-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Lol you included GnaReffotsirk's version of Aldaris, nice try. :P

I'm REALLY surprised Zeratul got orange eyes! Yay! Duke's portrait is probably the best/most faithful of the terran characters there. Mengsk looks like a decent compromise between his SC1 and SC2 selves, so, about what I'd expect.

I'm very happy with Infested Kerrigan how they kept her still having some terran armor in her portrait on at this point, that is more faithful than I expected. Plus the diseased-looking spots around her eyes, and no purple to be seen. It doesn't match her portrait face and hair exactly, but it does look a lot like her BW box art face. A+

DuGalle is a tiny bit off and his hat could be more ornate/have nicer materials around the rim.
    Mutalisk is epic
    Last edited by Robear; 07-27-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Lol you included GnaReffotsirk's version of Aldaris, nice try. :P

I'm REALLY surprised Zeratul got orange eyes! Yay! Duke's portrait is probably the best/most faithful of the terran characters there. Mengsk looks like a decent compromise between his SC1 and SC2 selves, so, about what I'd expect.

I'm very happy with Infested Kerrigan how they kept her still having some terran armor in her portrait on at this point, that is more faithful than I expected. Plus the diseased-looking spots around her eyes, and no purple to be seen. It doesn't match her portrait face and hair exactly, but it does look a lot like her BW box art face. A+

DuGalle is a tiny bit off and his hat could be more ornate/have nicer materials around the rim.
    Mutalisk is epic
    For some reason, it was actually on the Korean website maybe the Devs were admiring Gna's work!

The style is a bit different but overall I think they retained the important details and made acceptable compromises to be closer to the SC2 style. The only one I find really weird is Duran. Looks like a completely different person for no reason. Like, I understand the changes to Mengsk and Kerrigan but Duran has no depiction of him in his black man form in SC2 so why change him? SC1 Duran had more "elegance" to him than this version or at least that's how I felt. This one just looks like some basic army grunt and he looks like he has a different nationality too.

Looking back, I think the problem is the skin color/smoothness and facial expression. Also his face looks more elongated while the new one looks more compressed.
    Last edited by sandwich_bird; 07-28-2017 at 09:59 AM.

You're right Bird, I noticed it too. The new Duran's eyes are squinting in a shrewd manner, but the exaggerated frown, aged face, and boxy shape to the head make him into a gruff character.

I prefer the original Duran's eyes; they are almost large and innocent, perfectly fitting for his duplicitous nature. They're aiming for "Littlefinger" when they should be angling for "Varys"
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 07-28-2017 at 12:34 PM.

More datamining listed here: https://glasscannon.ru/2017/07/starc...zhej-kampanii/

IIRC mappers were able to override portraits in the original starcraft with custom ones. Why not do the same for remastered if Blizz doesn't come through? Call it "protoss of color portraits pack" or something and make up some spiel about political correctness to advertise it.

A bigger problem with the Protoss is that they have huge chins which serve no biological or aesthetic function besides shorthand for "alien." They don't have any gills, muscles or other tissues to move like human or zerg portraits do. The dark templar cover their faces, which makes them stand out but also raises the question of why they cover their faces if their faces don't move in the first place? The SC1 models at least wiggled their faces a tiny bit considering the low res.

The only reason why various obscure sources claim the Protoss don't eat or breath, survive in space unprotected, and are photosynthetic, among other things, is because they don't have obvious mouths. However, the original manual stated that they evolved from apex predators that hunted in packs. It makes no sense that they wouldn't need to eat or breath, since even plants die in vacuum because they respire carbon dioxide and the only reason plants would evolve the means to hunt is if they were carnivorous and would thus cease being plants. The implication was always that Protoss had mouths in a different place and still needed to breath (they probably have invisible spacesuits or something, since they already have robots and teleportation).

Blizzard isn't even consistent with their space magic explanations. SC2 gives Zeratul gratuitous nipples, which the Artanis/Dark Templar BW model lacked, and implies female Protoss have breasts. At one point a FAQ claimed that Zerg don't literally breathe in space, they just evolved biological spacesuits to store oxygen and don't have this adaptation unless they are expected to go into space.