Thread: StarCraft 1 Art

Default StarCraft 1 Art

I feel like it's absolutely tragic how much of the SC1 at has been lost. The only pieces art we really know of are those pieces in the manual (which I like a lot), but I recall seeing some concept art of a Nydus Canal, which was later just used for the Zerg Briefing Room.

How about we gather any little-known StarCraft 1 art in this thread?

Default Re: StarCraft 1 Art

Not sure if this counts for what you want, but I always liked this beta structure, to me the early-mid beta of SC was that sweet spot for its art design

Incidentally that building's model is still in the game, it became the sunken colony.

Those tentacles in the back and their spines, leading down into that central hole, are exactly the same, and the hole is where the tentacle comes out for the attack animation. They just added some more stuff to the front and left side and scaled it down a bit.

Nice! I did not know that. Honestly, anything goes from StarCraft 1, the idea that sparked this thread was this particular photo

StarCraft 1 Concept Art - Nydus Canal.jpg

It's some concept art for the Nydus Canal, but of course we all know that looks very, very similar to the Zerg Briefing Screen, which is perhaps where that took place!

to me the early-mid beta of SC was that sweet spot for its art design
    If only there were more old assets of SC1, some of the earlier stuff was really cool.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I had a ISO of the StarCraft beta, I'm not sure it's still playable. Should I find it?

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    Nice! I did not know that. Honestly, anything goes from StarCraft 1, the idea that sparked this thread was this particular photo

StarCraft 1 Concept Art - Nydus Canal.jpg

It's some concept art for the Nydus Canal, but of course we all know that looks very, very similar to the Zerg Briefing Screen, which is perhaps where that took place!
    Ah, I'm pretty sure that's actually a bit of StarCraft Ghost concept art, from ~2000 or 2001. Have you ever seen it definitively attached to SC1? I only ask because the style matches one of the concept artists who worked on Ghost exactly, though I can't make out their signature to tell who they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Incidentally that building's model is still in the game, it became the sunken colony.

Those tentacles in the back and their spines, leading down into that central hole, are exactly the same, and the hole is where the tentacle comes out for the attack animation. They just added some more stuff to the front and left side and scaled it down a bit.

Sort of, it clearly used it as a base, but I liked how much more "pit-like" the beta nydus pit was.

"I had a ISO of the StarCraft beta, I'm not sure it's still playable. Should I find it?"
    Yeah me too, but I couldn't get mine to work past the MP menu screen

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I remember there being some program you could use to make it work over LAN, or something.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    I remember there being some program you could use to make it work over LAN, or something.
    Really? that would be cool.