Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes to write fanfiction?

Default Re: Who likes to write fanfiction?

I rewrote my story adapting Starcraft Episode 2 after realizing I was going too fast for proper character development. Since there are currently a few other stories which adapt the game campaigns, I decided to set myself apart by setting my stories in the Enumerate alternate universe. I am currently writing outlines for no less than three stories set during the first phase of the Great War: the insurrection on Brontes IV, the Zerg perspective of Rebel Yell, and Schezar's first attempts at enslaving Zerg on Halcyon.

Any reason you chose Halcyon as the location?

Quote Originally Posted by Decighte View Post
    i am thinking of it but im not on it stage of wanting it but lack of inspiration as of now
    You're not the only one right now lacking some inspiration

I rewrote my story like three or four times. Right now I am trying to write the first Protoss POV chapter but I am having trouble because the protoss are too similar to the terrans for my tastes. Pretty much every aspect of their culture and psychology comes from human history: ancient egyptian architecture, roman military and government titles, tribes distinguished by culture and skin tone, their anatomy is too humanoid (human proportions, human skull, chins/jawbones, mammary glands, belly buttons), etc. All the aspects of human civilization neglected by the terrans are recycled for the protoss.

I cannot just rewrite them to be less humanoid because that would offend my readers or something. The only way I can think of to get over my mental block is too make the protoss hominid descendants from an alternate timeline or something.
    Last edited by Mislagnissa; 05-14-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    I rewrote my story like three or four times. Right now I am trying to write the first Protoss POV chapter but I am having trouble because the protoss are too similar to the terrans for my tastes. Pretty much every aspect of their culture and psychology comes from human history: ancient egyptian architecture, roman military and government titles, tribes distinguished by culture and skin tone, their anatomy is too humanoid (human proportions, human skull, chins/jawbones, mammary glands, belly buttons), etc. All the aspects of human civilization neglected by the terrans are recycled for the protoss.

I cannot just rewrite them to be less humanoid because that would offend my readers or something. The only way I can think of to get over my mental block is too make the protoss hominid descendants from an alternate timeline or something.
    And what timeline you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    And what timeline you have in mind?
    Timeline?

If you mean which version of canon, then I'm ignoring all of Metzen's garbage and focusing solely on the three-way koprulu war introduced in the SC1 manual. No evil xel'naga interference, no fiery space gods, no Earth showing up from nowhere, no queen of the blades, etc.

If you mean the time span of the story and the timing of major events like the fall of the confederacy, the invasion of aiur, etc, well I'm not sure I want to have major events like that occur. The war could potentially last years or decades before the confederacy falls. Blizzard stories have a huge problem with improbably short time scales.

The terrans have claimed, I don't know, hundreds of worlds across K-sec. The zerg and protoss forces in the sector are just tiny vanguard forces who took sixty years to travel to K-sec. None of this casually travelling thousands of light years in minutes garbage you see in the games.

EDIT: The biography of Aedus/Xerxes claims that it became an archon early in the Great War and died thirteen years later, before the fall of the Confederacy. So I have a roughly thirteen year gap between the Battle of Chau Sara and the Fall of Tarsonis.
    Last edited by Mislagnissa; 05-15-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    The terrans have claimed, I don't know, hundreds of worlds across K-sec. The zerg and protoss forces in the sector are just tiny vanguard forces who took sixty years to travel to K-sec. None of this casually travelling thousands of light years in minutes garbage you see in the games.
    This is something that needs to change: too many terran colonies. There've been those I talked to who said this could have been a good thing for LotV's storyline: Amon's actions took away those colonies from them.

Amon is garbage. Kerry is garbage. I'm writing a story where they never existed.

But Alarak and Dehaka get a pass. They're going to appear during the first contact war. It's going to be a massive clusterfuck of dozens of factions duking it out for control.

The Overmind will evolve new armies of doom using the genetic material of ghosts. (Enumerate reference)

The Ara-led khalai faction will try to exterminate the terrans as collateral.

The Akilae-led khalai faction will try to save the terrans. They'll team up with the Umojans.

The Nerazim will help the terrans and fight the zerg for honor and glory.

The Taldarim led by Ulrezaj will try to enslave zerg as a weapon against the khalai. (Enslavers reference)

The Fist of Redemption and other UFO cults will throw a wedge into things. (Insurrection reference)

The KMC will try to use zerg for revenge over the Guild Wars. (Antioch Chronicles reference)

The Purifier dynasties will wake up from their million year sleep and begin their dark harvests... (40k necron reference)

Honestly, there are tons of vastly more interesting and sympathetic plot threads than Kerry or Amon.

^ Needs more Space Marines.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

You give Dehaka a pass but not Kerry?