Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes to write fanfiction?

Default Re: Who likes to write fanfiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    I think it was Ragnarok who had the #1 SC fic on fan fiction.net wasn't it?
    I didn't exactly think it was #1, Gradius. Furthermore aside from you, DarthYam and occasionally Hawki, I didn't think anyone else from SCL read it.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Well, damn, Ragnarok actually wrote it, I thought it was a joke. I guess I owe the man an apology.

Sorry and good job, Rag.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Ironically, I didn't even dive deep into the SC lore until I was at about 22 chapters into the fic. Prior to that I just relied on the SC wiki for things I didn't know, but eventually I began to see there was WAY more to the picture than I originally thought.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Ironically, I didn't even dive deep into the SC lore until I was at about 22 chapters into the fic. Prior to that I just relied on the SC wiki for things I didn't know, but eventually I began to see there was WAY more to the picture than I originally thought.
    And I'm sure that, like me, you were disturbed by what you had found...

Left with the unsettling knowledge of the retcons and poorly executed storylines, Ragnarok returned to his desk and left the StarCraft wiki behind. Unable to explain his numbing discovery to forumgoers, he could only sit and fear for the future of StarCraft's writing...

Left with the unsettling knowledge of the retcons and poorly executed storylines, Ragnarok returned to his desk and left the StarCraft wiki behind. Unable to explain his numbing discovery to forumgoers, he could only sit and fear for the future of StarCraft's writing...
    For some reason, Gradius, that reminds me of Ayn Rand's Harry Potter (Or is it Econ's Harry Potter?):

Professor Snape stood at the front of the room, sort of Jewishly. “There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don’t expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few who possess, the predisposition…I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death.”

Harry’s hand shot up.

“What is it, Potter?” Snape asked, irritated.

“What’s the value of these potions on the open market?”

“What?”

“Why are you teaching children how to make these valuable products for ourselves at a schoolteacher’s salary instead of creating products to meet modern demand?”

“You impertinent boy–“

“Conversely, what’s to stop me from selling these potions myself after you teach us how to master them?”

“I–“

“This is really more of a question for the Economics of Potion-Making, I guess. What time are econ lessons here?”

“We have no economics lessons in this school, you ridiculous boy.”

Harry Potter stood up bravely. “We do now. Come with me if you want to learn about market forces!”

The students poured into the hallway after him. They had a leader at last.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I am nothing like Ayn Rand, lol. Ayn Rand believed that anything other than pure self-interested actions were immoral and self-defeating. I just think that market forces should be present and that a person should be able to chose whether or not to interact in the market, if they don't they can pay the costs, but for many, that is worth it.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 07-09-2017 at 03:29 PM.

I am nothing like Ayn Rand, lol.
    Haha it wasn't a jab at you; I just joked 'cause it had something to do with economics. Fuck Randian objectivism.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    And I'm sure that, like me, you were disturbed by what you had found...

Not funny, Gradius. Actually even after that I found it fine to continue the fic.

It's only after HotS that SC fanfic activity died off on the site.

Furthermore, what you just said here only makes me wonder where the hell did you pull the idea of "There's even more people out there who felt the SC2 story was just fine" phrase that you told me years ago (back when we talked on the battlenet forums) from.

Because again, following what you just said, it seems like every SC fan should have said "Blizzard fucked up the series so badly they should redo the whole trilogy all over again, as there was absolutely NOTHING in the storyline that worked."

Hence even right now I still don't understand where did you pull that idea from....

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    For some reason, Gradius, that reminds me of Ayn Rand's Harry Potter (Or is it Econ's Harry Potter?):
    This is one the reasons why I never got into the HP series.
    Last edited by ragnarok; 07-09-2017 at 04:25 PM.

By the way Gradius, you have to remember I came into the SC universe via the SC2 lore, not SC1 lore. Sure I played SC1 and BW back when it came out, but I wasn't interested in the SC universe back then.

As for the retcons and all that, I didn't think it was that way in WoL. HotS and LotV contributed more to it, though in LotV's case I felt it was more because they were trying to find a way to tie things back up, so I'll give them that.

However the main problem came from HotS, but I've come up with ways to deal with it. The issue with Ouros is one of the things I'm still unsure how to explain away though....

So, is the fanfic any good? From my experience, people gravitate towards the longest fanfics (more words = more epic?) and then favorite the first chapter, and inflate its importance.