Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Who likes to write fanfiction?

Default Re: Who likes to write fanfiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    The Protoss only won due to luck and that the determinant was not the "bees knees" the Overmind fantasised it would be. If the story had the Protoss ultimately losing in that last campaign (which would've been an interesting hypothetical subversion of expectation to consider), the Overmind's decision to attack Aiur in the earlier campaign would've been instead lauded as brilliant move bordering on genius.
    True, the Overmind didn't know about the history of the Nerazim and the Khalai, not that I saw it anyways. Maybe he didn't pull that info from Zeratul's head and all that. Still, you'd think he should have considered this possibility that the Dark Templar would come to Aiur and all that. Sure there was leaving Kerrigan on Char, but he didn't know that was ALL of the Nerazim.

Regarding the Overmind's hubris, I wouldn't call it that. Remember what Zeratul was telling Aldaris at the end of mission 8, that all the Conclave had done was help the Overmind to win. It's possible he felt the Conclave would never change its ways, which wasn't too far off from the mark, as they only admitted fault after Zeratul killed two Cerebrates in mission 9.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    ...the Overmind didn't know about the history of the Nerazim and the Khalai...
    I dunno, the Overmind did say all Zeratul's secrets were made known to it. This could include the history of the DT and how they've all been exiled from Aiur.

Still, you'd think he should have considered this possibility that the Dark Templar would come to Aiur and all that. Sure there was leaving Kerrigan on Char, but he didn't know that was ALL of the Nerazim.
    As far as the Overmind was concerned, the Dark Templar just have to be faraway and/or held back long enough for its final goal to assimilate the Protoss to be achieved because once that's done, the Overmind would surmise it'd have enough power to sweep away any further Protoss opposition. Also, being the centre of the Khalai Protoss and Conclave, Aiur had a great natural defense against DT - it's own people. Who knows, maybe the Overmind did know about that and intended to use the Protoss civil war as a means for defence. Even then, it would always have its superweapon waiting in the wings should it actually need it. But alas for the Overmind, it was not be...
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I dunno, the Overmind did say all Zeratul's secrets were made known to it. This could include the history of the DT and how they've all been exiled from Aiur.
    Possibly, but Zeratul wasn't born yet when the exile took place. For all we know, he wasn't told the exact details.

^ Doesn't matter if Zeratul was there or not, the knowledge he had was enough for the Overmind to consider taking action.

^ Doesn't matter if Zeratul was there or not, the knowledge he had was enough for the Overmind to consider taking action.
    Then do you think the Aiur invasion was a calculated risk from the Overmind's POV?

Then do you think the Aiur invasion was a calculated risk from the Overmind's POV?
    See post #110

I just never really felt it was a hindsight bias.