Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft & Atmosphere

Default Re: StarCraft & Atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    I already plugged it in the fanfiction thread. I felt it would be rude to plug it again.
    Connection is almost good here, if it holds one more day, I'll look at it over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    Any thoughts related to zerg broods now that it is revealed that certain broods have specific visuals, along with the already known functions? Leviathan seems to be the specified underwater/ocean assault brood.
    I always thought this was implied in the fluff. Every cerebrate/brood had a directive which they specialized in. In 1999 the graphical differences were limited to color palettes. In 2017 the need for 3D models raises the barrier to entry unless you compromise your artistic vision to use existing models.

Nolanstar's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    I always thought this was implied in the fluff. Every cerebrate/brood had a directive which they specialized in. In 1999 the graphical differences were limited to color palettes. In 2017 the need for 3D models raises the barrier to entry unless you compromise your artistic vision to use existing models.
    True, I do remember the manual blurbs about the functions of certain broods, actually hope we see more packs just for the lore tidbits. Issue is that most of the sc1 broods are probably assimilated/extinct.

I still wish they would cover the extinction of the celebrates. It seems like too important a detail to leave out. Did Kerrigan hunt them down, or just allow them to wither away and die without the Overmind?

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I still wish they would cover the extinction of the celebrates. It seems like too important a detail to leave out. Did Kerrigan hunt them down, or just allow them to wither away and die without the Overmind?
    I guess you can infer from BW that most of them were destroyed and eventually became so ineffective as to become as good as extinct. Most of them became the neo-Overmind, which got destroyed in the end whilst a whole bunch of other cerebrates were killed throughout the BW campaign.

Anyways, given that what we thought we once knew were indisputable facts in the Sc history ended up being retconned in SC2 anyway, I like that it's not too clear regarding cerebrates. It will make for their eventual return (if it were to happen) a bit more easily to swallow if you want to think of it that way.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

It will make for their eventual return (if it were to happen) a bit more easily to swallow if you want to think of it that way.
    It won't happen. The elimination of the cerebrates was an outgrowth of a deal Blizzard made with Games Workshop.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    It won't happen. The elimination of the cerebrates was an outgrowth of a deal Blizzard made with Games Workshop.
    I don't fully buy that. If that were truly the case, the Zerg wouldn't have a hivemind (or Broodmothers fulfilling the very same role cerebrates do) either... Wait a minute! Ohhh, right, they don't really have that either too now. That's why they introduced the Primal Zerg maybe. Hm. :/
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    I don't fully buy that. If that were truly the case, the Zerg wouldn't have a hivemind (or Broodmothers fulfilling the very same role cerebrates do) either... Wait a minute! Ohhh, right, they don't really have that either too now. That's why they introduced the Primal Zerg maybe. Hm. :/
    Then you can ask Blizzard for more details about how the hivemind was really made by Amon

I don't buy that either, GW doesn't have the monopoly on brain bugs.

SST would fucking shit all over GW if they tried to litigate that shit.

The treatment of the Zerg has been atrocious. They never had interesting characters in any of their appearances, old school or new school. They lost all of their cultural uniqueness to become Kerrigan's personal weapon of mass destruction. Blizzard attempts to justify this using logic that would not hold up in court if GW tried to use it. The Zerg are about as different from the Tyranids as the new Necrons are from the old Necrons.

Blizzard is not going to fix that, so if you want some of that old school Zerg goodness back, you'll have to either make custom campaigns (which the crappy SC2 map editor makes all but impossible) or write fanfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Then you can ask Blizzard for more details about how the hivemind was really made by Amon
    That's a retcon which renders the entire backstory of the Zerg nonsensical and makes them really boring compared to their awesome SC1 manual backstory.

I'm an old school Zerg fan. The Overmind and his Cerebrates rule, while Zagara, Abathur, Stukov and all the rest gleefully obey.