Thread: Your choice of a writer for potential SC3/Another SC game

Default Your choice of a writer for potential SC3/Another SC game

Hello friends,

As bleak as it may be, some of us - idealistic and naive (speaking of myself) old fans have hope that one day in the not so distant future, a Starcraft game would appear where Blizzard would actually do what they were supposed to do in 2010 and hire a competent writer to write the script for SC2.

Alas, back in 2010, Metzen fell into the George Lucas prequels mode and did not do that, resulting in a very underwhelming story for the long-awaited amazing sci-fi franchise. Still, sometimes a franchise gets lucky. Force Awakens and Rogue One follow the weak prequels, or Days of Future Past (Rogue Cut) comes out and corrects some damage done by X3, etc. Anyhow, if SC3, or another SC game with legitimately good writing were to be produced, which writer(s) would you feel be good choices to create a solid, epic story that may somehow, potentially, make up for the underwhelming writing of SC2?

Examples:

(1) Christie Golden - who better than a person who wrote the most SC novels to date?
    (2) Timothy Zahn - the acclaimed father of the true Star Wars "sequel" novels and the latest author of a SC novel - why not?
    (3) Gabriel Sorrel - creator of one of the most interesting "sequel" campaigns during the original SC era of late 1990s who created amazing, though unfinished, "War of the Tribes" campaign.
    (4) James Phinney - the man who probably wrote the story for the original SC.
    (5) Have one of the "CD Project Red" writers try it out.
    (5) Gradius!!!
    (6) {your choice here}

~RS
    - So, Gerard, I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my Duties.
    - Your Vodka can wait, my good Alexi.

================================
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WRZcYVbVg -

Iron man putting on armor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAHAUJQ8qGQ -

Tychus putting on armor
    ================================

"Also, we've established that the [Wings of Liberty's] storyline was monkey hurlage months ago - so what's the point of all the QQ?," -Gradius

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Your choice of a writer for potential SC3/Another SC game

It's a tie between 4 and 5.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Definitely four. Witcher 3 is the GOAT, but they borrowed heavily from the books and who knows if they could do sci-fi.

I'd definitely be cool with five Hell, I'd even fund it, if given the opportunity.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Eh, I don't think any one writer can be relied on to make the story consistently great. The general focus of trying to make an "epic" story is partly why Sc2 kinda falls flat and feels "inorganic". For me, the appeal of the Sc universe is largely because it is understated and that the epicness comes from your reaction to what's going on rather than the story/author signposting "epicness" overtly.

Case in point is the various people who wrote those short stories leading up to the release of those Sc2 installments throughout the years. Some of them felt way more epic, meaningful and memorable (the Just an Overlord and The Education of Shane PFC spring to mind) than what we ended up with Sc2, despite almost all of them being nothing more than inconsequential sidetracks, pointless filler and world-building exercises to the main story that was Sc2.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Definitely four. Witcher 3 is the GOAT, but they borrowed heavily from the books and who knows if they could do sci-fi.
    Sci-fi you ask? CD Projekts upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 (based off an even older RPG property) is looking mighty fine so far...
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

But is it the same writers? I don't know. Same company =\= Same writers, case in point: Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    But is it the same writers? I don't know. Same company =\= Same writers, case in point: Blizzard
    CD Projekt is not on the same level as Blizz though. Still, It'll be interesting to see since CD Projekt is certainly getting bigger and international in its team what with the development of Cyberpunk 2077. I'm quietly confident though since their early days involvied assisting with development of RPGs like Baldur's Gate before developing the first Witcher game. They've only gone stronger with each Witcher entry and now they have a completely new IP to play with. Bound to be some interesting creativity to come off this at the least, I reckon.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I vote Phinney, and for myself, and a couple other super fans. I make dat lore nice and shiny.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

He writes well. I wouldn't mind him at least doing a novel or something.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Wait, wait, wait. Hold on a minute. Peter Watts, the man behind one of the greatest and most thought-provoking science fiction novels I've read in a while (Blindsight) wrote a tie-in novel to .. Crysis? Blizzard done fucked up not hiring this guy if he's into writing for video game settings.