Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    You seriously judged it all off that?
    I said I SHOULD have known, not that I did.

I just assumed Arbiters and units like that weren't ready to show off. I suppose I was kind of right...

it took them almost a decade to get the models out in LotV :/

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    That's no way at all to live life
    Ordinarily I'm not that way, but I think SC:Ghost or something must have put me off. Like, I wasn't convinced that they understood what we fans wanted. That, and feelings were running way high back in the day. I think we all would have been happier just imagining SC2 in our heads.

That, and I feel like gaming in general has changed. Tonewise, something happened, to where games aren't so subtle. Part of it is political correctness, which did affect Blizzard. It's pretty clear, especially with Heart of the Swarm, that they were trying to appeal more to a female audience and force in blunt themes of general equality. Not a great idea.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I think we all would have been happier just imagining SC2 in our heads.
    No. Not at all. The MP surpassed or met every reasonable expectation I had. And, if SC2 was never released, I would've gotten bored with SC1 by now anyways, and eihter have moved on anyways or be occasionally miserable because there was never any kind of sequel at all. SC2 isn't enough for me to competely regret its entire existence. MP and SP gameplay are just simply too much of the experience anyways. I love the story of SCBW but I only care about it because of the gameplay of the campaign, vast quantities of UMS/Campaigns and the intense MP. Story is secondary. Its not like StarCraft was ever the greatest, most complex space opera ever created. Put equivalent game play to a Peter F Hamilton epic and I would forget all about StarCraft. But that's not a fair comparison at all.

Diablo 3, however, did as much damage, if not more, to the series than the Star Wars prequels. The world would be a better place without it.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 05-23-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    I said I SHOULD have known, not that I did.

I just assumed Arbiters and units like that weren't ready to show off. I suppose I was kind of right...

it took them almost a decade to get the models out in LotV :/
    They merely wanted to try something new, Stratos. Remember, new ideas aren't always successful...

I was absolutely trilled when that announcement came in about Wings of Liberty ten years ago and I've been upset ever since the game came out with the childish campaign. Oh well...
    - So, Gerard, I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my Duties.
    - Your Vodka can wait, my good Alexi.

================================
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WRZcYVbVg -

Iron man putting on armor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAHAUJQ8qGQ -

Tychus putting on armor
    ================================

"Also, we've established that the [Wings of Liberty's] storyline was monkey hurlage months ago - so what's the point of all the QQ?," -Gradius

Quote Originally Posted by RussianSpy27 View Post
    I was absolutely trilled when that announcement came in about Wings of Liberty ten years ago and I've been upset ever since the game came out with the childish campaign. Oh well...
    Some of us still accepted it, I'm still in the processes of gathering ideas for SC fiction to try to improve upon what Blizzard failed to do

Eh, the multiplayer was garbage imo, I did about 80 games and just got sick of it always being a deathball match

SP was hardly better, ignoring the elementary school level story-line, the gameplay was typcial of AAA games of that era where its hyper-scripted "you have one way to do a thing" type of levels with a veneer of "choice" in what you put in your death ball.

80 games seven years ago is not enough to judge the multiplayer at it stands now, or even back then. Legacy of the Void is a completely different game from Heart of the Swarm, which was very different from Wings of Liberty. I can say that without exaggeration before I even consider the units. Changes in the speed and starting build orders in Legacy of the Void resulted in matches nothing like in previous expansions.

Plus, again, unless you're Platinum or higher...

SP was hardly better, ignoring the elementary school level story-line, the gameplay was typcial of AAA games of that era where its hyper-scripted "you have one way to do a thing" type of levels with a veneer of "choice" in what you put in your death ball.
    Annnnd, unless you played on Brutal ...
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 05-25-2017 at 11:09 AM.

"80 games seven years ago is not enough to judge the multiplayer at it stands now"
    I stopped playing in 2012.

and I'd say it was BETTER then it is now, I've seen the mess that is the current multiplayer and I want to vomit. So you're right, but not in the way that you thought.

"Changes in the speed and starting build orders in Legacy of the Void resulted in matches nothing like in previous expansions."
    Right, that made it even worse than the previous two (namely WoL which was bad enough)

"Plus, again, unless you're Platinum or higher..."
    If the game loses me at silver rank its not going to hold me at any higher level, I have 0 interest in playing that mess again.

"Annnnd, unless you played on Brutal ..."
    I beat WoL on every difficulty including Brutal, didn't beat HotS on brutal because Hard was already easy as hell and the campaign was so scripted I had no interest in even playing it again.

LotV I just didn't bother with beyond the sixth or seventh due to more scripted nonsense and the knowing that the story was going to legit piss me off in the end.

You know what they say, opinions are like assholes so who gives a shit.