Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Overmind's Vision

Default Re: Overmind's Vision

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    It also showed their limitations in seeing things, if they had looked harder they would have seen the Overmind would ultimately turn on them, but they were too caught up in their "proud accomplishment" for it.
    Huzzah! That's interesting, making the species flawed like that kind make them seem all the more intriguing. I really wonder how they pictured the Xel'Naga, how they originally looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    We're not really sure Duran was actually dead for real though. Afterall, Kerrigan killed Duran in HotS as well. Also, the "death" of Duran comes before the reveal from Ouros that only a Xel'Naga can kill another Xel'Naga...
    Hence the reason for my idea gathering that Duran could still be alive and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    Huzzah! That's interesting, making the species flawed like that kind make them seem all the more intriguing. I really wonder how they pictured the Xel'Naga, how they originally looked like.
    I'm not sure they were exactly thinking that by the time of SC1, then by SC2 they didn't know what to do, so they went the lazy route to have Amon have no real form and all that.

But ultimately they were forced to realize after all the stress they put on the xel'naga since WoL, they couldn't just end of the series without showing them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    The Xel'Naga were originally depicted in the manual backstory as the flawed, "playing god and damned-be-the-consequences" scientists that they always were (until the retcon of the Inifinite Cycle in the EU came along that is). Their "failure" with the Protoss should have imparted a moral lesson for them to not attempt to play god and to be more careful in what they wish for. Their subsequent "success" with the Zerg imparted the same exact lesson they ignored the first time, but with more dire consequences. Oh, the irony.

Hence the reason for my idea gathering that Duran could still be alive and everything.
    Hence the reason your own original argument and "proof" that the Xel'naga aren't gods is nonsense because you just invalidated it, all by yourself.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Hence the reason your own original argument and "proof" that the Xel'naga aren't gods is nonsense because you just invalidated it, all by yourself.
    I never saw them as gods, not by the time of SC2. For all of WoL and HotS they were all talk and no action, hardly the characteristics of a deity.

I never saw them as gods, not by the time of SC2. For all of WoL and HotS they were all talk and no action, hardly the characteristics of a deity.
    Living abnormally long lives without aging, having the power to manipulate and create life to their own whim/ends/advantage, drawing "power" from some magical nether world and being able to still live despite being "dead" are but some of their capabilities. All of which are revealed during Sc2. This isn't even mentioning all the religious overtones of anything that even relates to them.

Besides, it's not about what you see or want to see, but what the writers/the game wants you to see the Xel'Naga as. It's clear Blizz intended the Xel'Naga to be considered as gods ever since they introduced the Infinite Cycle retcon in the EU, whether you see it or not.

Besides, it's not about what you see or want to see, but what the writers/the game wants you to see the Xel'Naga as. It's clear Blizz intended the Xel'Naga to be considered as gods ever since they introduced the Infinite Cycle retcon in the EU, whether you see it or not.
    Which they didn't do a very good job at, since actions are supposed to speak louder than words. In that regard perhaps you can argue Amon did a better job because he actually tried doing something, compared to Ouros who gave cryptic messages which did little more than confuse people until it was almost too late to matter.

Which they didn't do a very good job at, since actions are supposed to speak louder than words.
    Living abnormally long lives without aging, having the power to manipulate and create life to their own whim/ends/advantage, drawing "power" from some magical nether world and being able to still live despite being "dead" are but some of their capabilities. All of which are revealed during Sc2. This isn't even mentioning all the religious overtones of anything that even relates to them.
    If you define a "good job" in terms of showing/action rather than telling/via words, then Sc2 has done just that.

If you define a "good job" in terms of showing/action rather than telling/via words, then Sc2 has done just that.
    *shrugs* Blizzard did treat the audience as a bit too stupid to figure things out, but maybe they felt unless they actually showed it instead of just hinting/implying/telling it, there'd be cynical fans who'd just accuse Blizzard of never being specific and therefore can twist everything in a whole new direction for the next SC game.

Which, I'm expecting them to do anyway. Certainly in the case with the Void, unless Blizzard actually releases new lore books/short stories or something to show the place isn't just where you can obtain magical powers from thin air.

But they did show that the Xel'Naga (albeit through Amon mainly) are gods/godlike in Sc2. Ultimately, the only overarching plot that even remotely ties Sc2 as a trilogy is about the foresight and plans of one god (Amon) being eventually thwarted by the foresight and plans of another god (Ouros).

But they did show that the Xel'Naga (albeit through Amon mainly) are gods/godlike in Sc2. Ultimately, the only overarching plot that even remotely ties Sc2 as a trilogy is about the foresight and plans of one god (Amon) being eventually thwarted by the foresight and plans of another god (Ouros).
    Maybe for Amon, Ouros is another matter. If nothing else they should have also explained just what limitations Amon put on Ouros in the Void where he could do nothing but give very cryptic messages.