Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Chatter Thread

Default Re: Random Chatter Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Saaay whaaaaaaaat?
    She says she wants to be a vg writter, short of already having a strong published name, I can't think of a more efficient way of proving her worth​ than to make a procedural story system(lookup dwarf fortress for an overly complex example). It's a step above text adventure game and if you get it right it clearly demonstrates that you understand the building blocks of story telling and can basically write anything.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

procedural generated short stories
    As in procedurally-generated environments? Like that but with stories? Never heard of this. Sounds fascinating .. and incredibly complex

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

As in procedurally-generated environments? Like that but with stories? Never heard of this. Sounds fascinating .. and incredibly complex
    Yeah basically like that. It isn't something that's been done a lot. I honestly can only think of dwarf fortress, mount and blade (to some extent..) and the new shadow of Mordor (also to some extent). I think the new pirate game from rare will have some of it too. If you keep the scope relatively small, id say it's definitely doable as a side project.

LOL, everyone always told me I should've gone for a Business or Accounting degree instead of Economics.
    Well, bear in mind that it does have to do with location. Apparently my home city is one of the worst places in the country to start any career. But then again, experience is everything. An accounting degree does little to teach you a specific job. At best the Excel and Quickbooks stuff will be relevant. For my bookkeeping job, the stuff I learned was about 1% helpful.

Basically, to get an accounting job, you have to volunteer for free until you're good enough to get hired. It's not like programming or writing, where you can gain experience by playing around on your own.

...Proceedural story system...? What that be?

I was actually thinking something along the lines of Twine. It seems more do-able.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

I don't feel like making a new thread. I just feel like whining.

Feminism is a dumpster fire. Why are these women marching on DC? What do they want? What do they think they'll get out of this? "Empowered women empower women"? What does that even mean? Why are people applauding this? Why are people making random claims that America was founded by rich people and not pioneers who faced death every day?

A perfect metaphor for this crap is what happened in the bookstore I work at. They compressed/reduced our history section so that we would have room to put up a bunch of Wonder Woman and masturbatory "women's pride" mugs and pillows. Not kidding, there's a box of buttons there, and one of them literally says "proud libtard." I am not making that up.

Men are not the source of all are problems. The source of our problems is thinking that shouting at the government will get us everything we want.

- Artanis.

I was going to say they're just irrational but the fact that silicon valley is fem to the max wouldn't fit that narrative entirely. How can you be an engineer and a genuine modern feminist at the same time? I think the phenomenon can be compared to a pathogen. The most critical vulnerability factor is probably higher level of neuroticism. You simply need to have a really emotional moment to get to that point where you abandon most forms of critical thinking and let the stupidity in. Once the thought is implanted, it is self-reinforced due to a non-challenging environment. From that point on, you'd need a long rehab session to get it out.

But, what do I know? I am but a nazi racist white cis male

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Men are not the source of all are problems. The source of our problems is thinking that shouting at the government will get us everything we want.
    Maybe not, but constant repressive conditions and the government doing absolutely nothing about it will ultimately lead to rebellion. That's what happened in Europe back in the medieval days

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

So glad Silicon Valley is dying. Soon mini-valleys will be all over America., although that's kind of already the case. Maybe that can help somewhat with the echo chamber aspect of it. But, then, there will always be the social media aspect. Perhaps North Korea can help us with that?

Holywood itself may be dying or having to make some serious changes. Too good to be true?
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 01-24-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Perhaps North Korea can help us with that?
    Savage af.

Holywood itself may be dying or having to make some serious changes. Too good to be true?
    I hear tell that there's been a lot of movie theater closings, so possibly it is true.

Anyway, thanks y'all for letting me get that off my chest. It turns out that I know someone who was at the women's march, and she was making a comment about "rich, white men" founding our country, and then her dad replies (this being on facebook) that he's proud he raised her right. When I asked them what they intended to accomplish by this march, one guy posted a link to some vague feminist website. There was no mention of a specific law they wanted repealed or voted for. Then some guy was like "you can't put water on concrete and expect it to flower." None of them bothered to talk about what they believed in or what they expected to accomplish. It's like they think "yay, womyn!" is enough of a statement.

- Artanis.