Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Random Chatter Thread

Default Re: Random Chatter Thread

I hear tell that rural California wants to split off from urban California. That's kinda like a civil war.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

That's separatism though, not really a civil war unless they decide to do it by force of arms, succession, rebellion, etc and claiming themselves a nation.

Nothing new to Canadians though, we deal with the annoying existence of Quebec, where me speaking broken Spanish gets better treatment then speaking English.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I saw two articles related to Pepe on Econ's linked article. That's why I made the comment. I just think the whole thing I's ridiculous.

No, I doubt think the NYT is a Nazi rag.
    ahhh that makes sense now.

Nothing new to Canadians though, we deal with the annoying existence of Quebec, where me speaking broken Spanish gets better treatment then speaking English.
    Separatism in QC is going through a slow death though and I don't see the trend reversing unless the feds get abysmal approval levels and Quebec finally elects a provincial PM that's not a corrupted inefficient idiot. With that said, there's no way the feds are going to go on QC bad side as long as they bring in the weed and QC hasn't had a competent PM since the 70s so...

Yeah, sorry. I was having an absolute shit day at work that day...

Real footage of VoK at work.

... saw a headline on here, saw random headlines on the linked page, raged inarticulately without reading the article, then GTFO'd. My bad.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 02-03-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Still not understanding exactly what it was you were saying Idiocy on both sides? Of course. 2008 to 2011 or 2012 I'd say, politically at least, Republicans were more retarded. Now, without a doubt, Democrats are the most retarded. And the left, as as a whole, has gone off the deep end in a way I've personally never heard of except in books about early, gung-ho era Communism in Russia/China. I'm usually in the middle, laughing at both sides equally, but, right now, I feel like I'm firmly planted on the right. I'm usually pretty (clasically) liberal on social issues, but, damn, the shit coming from the left is unfathomably insane.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 02-04-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Still not understanding exactly what it was you were saying
    Sigh. At the time, from only reading the headline, I thought the article itself was claiming the NYT was a white supremacist publication. I typed words. The end.
    I'm usually in the middle, laughing at both sides equally, but, right now, I feel like I'm firmly planted on the right. I'm usually pretty (clasically) liberal on social issues, but, damn, the shit coming from the left is unfathomably insane.
    I can point to a lot of things on both sides that are really dumb. On the far-right front, I could point to the recent push to smear Black Panther and manipulate ratings for that film. (Really? Are you saying the Avengers shouldn't even get ONE black guy?) Or I could of course point to Charlottesville demonstrations. I could take all that shit and more, and apply it to the entire right, and say to myself, "Conservatives are a plague on society and need to be eliminated."

And yet I know these people people are outliers. Just as I know that the far-left SJW are themselves a minority. It's important to realize the extremes of either side aren't the majority, and not generalize them to that entire half of the spectrum.

But what gets views and clicks? Extreme and bombastic stuff. So that's what we as a society consume. And the more we consume, the more individuals realize, "Hey, this'll get me money!", and start to create content of that variety. It's this disgusting, self-perpetuating feedback loop of stupidity, and it targets those same little dopamine-hit mechanic we get seeing notifications on Facebook.

Hell, just typing about this extremism stuff gets me riled up, which I logically know is releasing dopamine, which encourages the above-outlined behavior. Which is why I'm trying to stay away from social media (except my art- and dog rescue-related groups), most news outlets (save a few), and conversations like this.

Haha, did I make more sense this time? XD
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 02-04-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    Aaand sold.

Just as I know that the far-left SJW are themselves a minority.
    That's the thing. They're not. Look at college campuses.

But what gets views and clicks? Extreme and bombastic stuff. So that's what we as a society consume. And the more we consume, the more individuals realize, "Hey, this'll get me money!", and start to create content of that variety.
    I remember thinking the same thing in like 2008, and wondering where it would end up. I feel like I was right in concept, but I was completely blind-sided by the extent.

Haha, did I make more sense this time? XD
    Yes

That's the thing. They're not. Look at college campuses.
    I live near a college campus and I don't see any of this crap. I tend to think that, for better or worse, the majority of Americans are pretty apolitical.

What I have seen this past year are a bunch of racists, though. My black coworker was assaulted by this grotesquely fat white dude in a wife beater and gold chain. Now, I could go off and say, "Well, I live in the south, what am I to expect?" Or go, "Fucking Republican scumbag." Yet I know that this small, pathetic excuse for a man is in the minority, no matter how loudly he and his crowd shout and scream into the internet ether.

I'm not going to make excuses for Black Lives Matter, however. While I support the concept of raising awareness, the actions of some of its members have been downright atrocious. I lived in Charlotte, NC, at the time of the riots. People were hurt and property was damaged.

Do I think feminism still has its uses? Yeah. I see misogyny every once in a while (Heard a coworker say his wife needs to "learn her place and shut up" Charming.) But do I think things are better for women across the country? Fuck yes. Do I stand by those women who are man haters? Fuck no, and neither do my self-described feminist female friends. But I surround myself by a calm and collected crowd, so maybe I'm artificially skewing the numbers in my daily experiences.

I remember thinking the same thing in like 2008, and wondering where it would end up. I feel like I was right in concept, but I was completely blind-sided by the extent.
    I wonder what the numbers are. Are we genuinely a more divided country, or is it the above polarizing effect that makes it seem like we're divided? I think we all know that the media likes to jump on a narrative theme for a summer in order to get money and clicks. It starts with good intentions (sharks, bullying, etc), but then people start seeing dollar signs and start doubling down on stupidity.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 02-04-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    Aaand sold.

It's true that counted hate crimes have been increasing for the past two years. It's possible that the actual number of violence is increasing, sure, that would make sense, there's a lot going on in America ... or it could just be that 'violence' against transgenders is now being tallied more or differently, as some suggest. Kind of like how surveys say 1/3 women are raped while rape statistics say a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

Then again, departments are now starting to count 'bias incidents' (wtf are those?) and 'harassment' different, so its always hard to get at the through in political statistics. But. then again, violent crime overall has been increasing far more, especially among blacks and especially in notable violent cities (Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia).

But, we're talking about thousands here. Not millions. 'Racists' can't even post on Twitter without quick punishment. The bat shit insane on the left are on the boards of every social media company in the world

Either way, when you look at the extent to which civil rights are being trampled on and who is going the most insane, it's not even a fucking contest. The left has gone absolutely fucking insane, and it's so incredibly obvious I don't even feel like arguing the point.

Remember, anecdotes don't matter. I don't care if every non-white non-male person in your life was brutally murdered by a the Ku Klux Klan, it doesn't say shit about statistics.

I could also post some logic/bullshit tests just to argue the point, but I don't fucking care.

Are we genuinely a more divided country, or is it the above polarizing effect that makes it seem like we're divided?
    Given that 15-20% of our demopgrahics has changed since 2000, I'd say we're more divided than we've been since the civil rights movement. Demographics is destiny. And since much of those demographics are either indifferent or actively hostile towards American culture or white people, and can be assimilated into the umbrella of the left, how can it even be the case that the right is just as bad?
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 02-05-2018 at 08:32 AM.

m not going to make excuses for Black Lives Matter
    Man I hope not. The branch in Toronto is the definition of insanity. Their leader called our VERY liberal prime minister a white supremacist terrorist. For reference, that's the inverse of calling Trump a Mexican loving comie. She also regularly talks about the genocide of whites. Even if it's just an act for $, thousands are insane enough to answer the call. Of course hate speech laws only apply to white people so this doesn't end...