Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I wanted to write a SC Novel?

Enkidu's Avatar Junior Member

Question If I wanted to write a SC Novel?

Actually, it can be any novel for any established series, but if I wanted to write a StarCraft Novel for example or any style of book, how would I go about doing it? Do I have to go about getting a lawyer, gaining licensing for copyright and something to do with royalties?

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: If I wanted to write a SC Novel?

A novel that would be published? Yeah, you would need licensing for that. But, even more so, you would probably need to be an already fairly established author and be, at least somewhat, approached by Blizzard/company themselves.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Don't retcon or mary sue-ize parts of the original story like Queen of Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    Don't retcon or mary sue-ize parts of the original story like Queen of Blades.
    *facepalm* There you go with that again, Stratos....

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    A novel that would be published? Yeah, you would need licensing for that. But, even more so, you would probably need to be an already fairly established author and be, at least somewhat, approached by Blizzard/company themselves.
    I forget when this came up, but Blizzard did say basically 'don't call us, we'll call you' when a somewhat famous author sent them a manuscript.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Which is a shame (or not) since they haven't really been doing much with SC and especially Diablo, and what they have done is mediocre at best. Seems like a relatiely risk-free, cost-effective way to get the lore back on track. A couple good SC/Diablo books with the original feel would do wonders towards keep the fan base going until the next installment, which, at this rate, may not even come.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

If I wanted to write a SC Novel?
    Let me stop you right there...

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Actually, it can be any novel for any established series, but if I wanted to write a StarCraft Novel for example or any style of book, how would I go about doing it? Do I have to go about getting a lawyer, gaining licensing for copyright and something to do with royalties?
    If it's not for profit, just write it and put it online. If it's for profit, why wouldn't you just create your own universe "inspired by starcraft"? The trouble of gaining the rights is probably not something you want to go through...

It depends which franchise of course but the process I assume consists of convincing the license owner that you can bring something valuable to their business and that this something is in line with their business plan. So I guess first you would need a solid track record of writing good books and a concrete idea for the book you want to propose. Then you contact them(I assume they have a Rep for business propositions) and try to negotiate something. Once they have some kind of contract for you, you review it with a lawyer and sign it. I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Enkidu's Avatar Junior Member

Yeah... I see your point...

I probably should have thought this entire topic through before posting it like a jackass... Sorry, I wasn't sure but I guess I could've known that.

But I could do StarCraft Fanfiction... Fanfic.net and archive of our own, I think, probably wouldn't mind a SC Fanfic. Nothing sexual or anything, just Sci-Fi goodness!
    Last edited by Enkidu; 01-24-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Yeah... I see your point...

I probably should have thought this entire topic through before posting it like a jackass... Sorry, I wasn't sure but I guess I could've known that.

But I could do StarCraft Fanfiction... Fanfic.net and archive of our own, I think, probably wouldn't mind a SC Fanfic. Nothing sexual or anything, just Sci-Fi goodness!
    We could use you on there, Enkidu. After HotS came out, SC fanfic activity dropped to almost nothing.