Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Languages besides English used by the Terrans in the Koprulu Sector

Default Re: Languages besides English used by the Terrans in the Koprulu Sector

260 years after a culture can change their opinion about deviants, psychics, cyborg, lenguage, etc.

Enkidu's Avatar Junior Member

It is no nation we inhabit, but a language. Make no mistake; our native tongue is our true fatherland.
    Quoted by the great Emil Cioran and if that quote is true, then it would be very hard to eradicate the established languages of nation-states all over the world because of our nature of factionalism.

How would a child speak english if he learns english spoken in russian accent for example? Would his english be spoken in another accent?

Quote Originally Posted by GnaReffotsirk View Post
    How would a child speak english if he learns english spoken in russian accent for example? Would his english be spoken in another accent?
    My apologies for misunderstanding, but exactly what point are you trying to make? Where are you going with this?

I was curious. Say an entire land speaks in english but has retained their accent. If a child was to grow up there, he would speak english in that accent right?

I assume this is the reason why Stukov speaks english but retains his accent.

Yeah, that's why people from rural Ontario and the Midwest speak English with one accent while people in England or Australia or California speak it with different ones. Stukov learned English either as an infant from people who spoke it with a Russian accent, or learned it later in life and therefore pronounced it like it was Russian. He speaks English the way I, from Ontario, would speak Russian: the way I speak my native tongue.
    Last edited by Muspelli; 01-23-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose Bierce, 'The Devil's Dictionary':
    MAN, n.
    An animal so lost in rapturous contemplation of what he thinks he is as to overlook what he indubitably ought to be. His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth and Canada.

True... I never did say accents would go away. I just meant that languages is the bedrock of any child's development. Language can also define many, many cultures in their own way. They are also, in certain aspects, part of human nature.

Just learning to think in another language allows you to see your own culture in a better viewpoint.
    Last edited by Enkidu; 01-27-2017 at 11:17 AM.

For a Californian you should know your Spanish better, Robear. This is Portuguese. In Spanish the phrase would be something like "proyectiles expulsados con velocidad", fairly different grammar!

I also wonder: how is it even possible that, after two centuries of descending from a population of no more than 40,000 individuals, different races still exist so clearly and so separated from each other? There isn't a single mulatto character. People are either white, asian or black, which makes no sense. In every country in the world with Causasoid, Negroid and Mongoloid population - every single one but the US and Canada - the races mixed to different degrees. The majority of population in the Americas are mixed race, and we're talking of millions of immigrants and enslaved people coming to these lands, and also the most rigid social segregation that can exist, which is slavery. With a founder population of just 40k people and no great social divisions in the beggining, it seems impossible that the majority of Koprulu humans would still look tipically white/black/asian.

But better pretend we did not see this, because Koprulu demographics are already a can of worms...

I think it's very interesting what kind of outcasts where in the ships. Where there mutants? People who welcome cybernetics? Why isn't transhumanism more present in Koprulu societies, than? Maybe there was a later backslash and people got conservative on cybernetics too?

I also wonder: how is it even possible that, after two centuries of descending from a population of no more than 40,000 individuals, different races still exist so clearly and so separated from each other? There isn't a single mulatto character. People are either white, asian or black, which makes no sense.
    I'd like to know how a group of 32,000 (remember that the Sarengo crashed, killing its drew), divided among three distinct populations, were able to explode into billions of terran lives in less than 300 years across dozens of worlds. Even third world countries don't have birth rates that high.

Where there mutants?
    Undoubtedly. Psychics were definitely among the colonists.

Why isn't transhumanism more present in Koprulu societies, than?
    Transhumanism and cybernetics are hinted at more strongly in StarCraft I and BroodWar, but not so much in SCII. According to sources, the cybernetics and AI industries in the Koprulu Sector are stagnant compared to the UED.

Maybe there was a later backslash and people got conservative on cybernetics too?
    That would be interesting to explore! I know cybernetics were more prominant among the Protoss, too, before SCII. You could see art of psi blade gauntlets being fused directly to a Protoss' arms.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I'd like to know how a group of 32,000 (remember that the Sarengo crashed, killing its drew), divided among three distinct populations, were able to explode into billions of terran lives in less than 300 years across dozens of worlds. Even third world countries don't have birth rates that high.
    It's not impossible if they have good health tech to nullify mortality rates and if "fertility laws" are strongly enforced. Many third world countries have pop growth rates of >3% and you'd need roughly >4% on average over the 300 years to have the billions with 32k to start with. I'd say it's somewhat believable considering this(not sure how accurate these links are though, just did a quick google).
    Last edited by sandwich_bird; 03-08-2017 at 03:56 PM.