Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft Manual Discussion

Default Starcraft Manual Discussion

Just so you don't have to look up the lore, here's a link to a quick blog of the manual I made.

http://starcraftmanual.blogspot.com/

So anyway, I was looking through the manual, and came across this.

"Without the discipline of the Path of Ascension, the powers of the Rogues spiraled out of control and unleashed horrible, devastating storms across the fields of Aiur. The Conclave, shocked that the Templar had not destroyed the Rogue Tribes, attempted to salvage the desperate situation. If the Conclave punished Adun and the Templar for their insubordination, it would be forced to publicly admit the existence of the Rogues. Thus the Conclave decided to banish the wayward Tribes from Aiur forever. The Templar under Adun were sworn to silence as the Rogues were loaded onto an ancient, but functional Xel’Naga ship and launched into the void of space.

Forever after the Rogue Tribes would be known as the Dark Templar. Over time, the legend of the Dark Templar spread across the face of Aiur, sparking the imaginations of many young Protoss. To show their disdain for the Conclave and their Judicator lackeys, the Dark Templar ceremoniously cut off their nerve-appendages, effectively severing themselves from the basic communal link that all Protoss share. It was widely rumoured that since the Shadow Hunters were cut off from the primal chord of their race, they were forced to draw their psionic energies from the dark, cold void of space."

Note the chronology -- the original rogues are not shown cutting off their nerve cords. They just get exiled. Instead, later Protoss, "emo-kids", if you will, cut themselves as a sign of rebellion. Apparently, becoming a DT does not necessitate the severance, and maybe some of the original DT would have thought the young rebels well-intentioned idiots for actually doing so. I like this, as it makes the Dark Templar more complicated than they are shown in the games. Differences of opinion make for interesting storytelling, and it's sad that the DT were almost never (Ulrezaj) having separate opinions, and now since the Khala is supposedly so bad, that reduces all the Protoss to one opinion.

In essence, more opinions = better storytelling, to a point.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Starcraft Manual Discussion

I think you're reading it wrong. It still talks about the original rogues in that passage aka. "the dark Templar". The lack of transition might make it seem like it's talking about newer generations but I think the paragraph is talking about speculation about what happened to the dark Templar since they cut off their nerve cords.

The Tal'Darim don't have the Khala, still have their nerve chords and have different opinions from "mainline" Protoss. Just sayin...

Anyways, the Dark Templar are already complicated in the sense that all the Protoss during the Aeon of Strife were more or less proto-Dark Templar because they had willingly forsaken their link without cutting their nerve chords and it was almost to their own undoing. It's why the Khalai Protoss feared the Dark Templar - not only because of their direct influence and connection to the Aeon of Strife but because they were a reflection of something they knew deep down they could easily fall back into/become if they didn't adhere to the strictures that Khas began.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I know all that, Tura. It's just fascinating that the manual doesn't show DT cutting off their nerve cords until the original ones were exiled. As you said, the Conclave exiled the renegades because they represented the past they didn't want to go back to, not that the renegades cut off their nerve cords. The cutting may have been a reaction to the exile by sympathizers.

Nah, Gradius. Well, maybe, but examine this quote:

"Over time, the legend of the Dark Templar spread across the face of Aiur, sparking the imaginations of many young Protoss. To show their disdain for the Conclave and their Judicator lackeys, the Dark Templar ceremoniously cut off their nerve-appendages...

Given that the first sentence is about young people on Aiur, it makes sense that the next sentence would continue to do so, implying that other people would side with them over time. After all, if the Dark Templar tried to protect Aiur over time, it stands to reason that at times they would be close enough to meet Khalai 'Toss every so often. It may well be that Tassadar's involvement was more of a peak or climax of already ongoing DT issues. After all, of the three castes, it would be the Templar most likely to encounter DT.

In either case, I'm not initiating argument. I just want to discuss ideas.
    Last edited by Nissa; 05-31-2016 at 10:27 AM.

- Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I know all that, Tura. It's just fascinating that the manual doesn't show DT cutting off their nerve cords until the original ones were exiled. As you said, the Conclave exiled the renegades because they represented the past they didn't want to go back to, not that the renegades cut off their nerve cords. The cutting may have been a reaction to the exile by sympathizers.
    That's probably what happened. After the exile, I think the Dark Templar felt they didn't want to have anything to do with the Khalai anymore (even though as Zeratul explained to Tassadar, they still did what they could to help Aiur in times of need), and the nerve chord, at least to them, was more of a symbol of the Khalai and the Khala they represented, hence a reason to cut it off.

hence a reason to cut it off.
    Sooo the Dark Templar are Space Jews. Got it.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Here's an idea: evil/bad Dark Templar. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    That's wacist!
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon
    That's wacist!
    Hey, everyone's a little bit racist.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Here's an idea: evil/bad Dark Templar. Discuss.

That's wacist!
    You can start by putting Ulrezaj on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I was thinking more emo kids who cut themselves while listening to Dashboard Confessional. Heh, if you think about it, the Dark Templar (pre-SC2, anyway) are sort of like an analogue of the emo-kid hero: the person who gets hated on for their good qualities. Like Kirito from Sword Art Online, or the characters of X-Men, having powers automatically makes everyone hate you, despite the fact you haven't done anything wrong.

The reason why the DT are more sophistocated is because it's logical to "hate" them for their powers, as their powers can have some seriously negative consequences.

- Artanis.